What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Finally added the finishing touches and started it. Needed some tightening here and there but sounds nice
CA024E2D-E767-404B-819A-B9519ED9852A.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks brand new
Thank you! It almost is. The engine was rebuilt and with the exception of the starter (which I disassembled and went through), every part on here is new/reman. Every sensor and vacuum hose is new; disassembled all wiring harnesses and went through them all. Tested and replaced anything needing attention in the PDB. It was an expensive pain in the ass, but I'm happy with the result.

If I cleaned mine up that nice I would never want to take it off road again.
Yeah between the engine and rebuilding and repainting the entire undercarriage I'm probably just going to buy another Explorer to thrash, lol.

Thank you! It almost is. The engine was rebuilt and with the exception of the starter (which I disassembled and went through), every part on here is new/reman. Every sensor and vacuum hose is new; disassembled all wiring harnesses and went through them all. Tested and replaced anything needing attention in the PDB. It was an expensive pain in the ass, but I'm happy with the result.
How much did you spend. I'm debating doing the same thing later on

Every sensor and vacuum hose is new
If you replaced it, what hose did you use for the crankcase vent hose that connects from air box assembly to the oil fill? The stock one isn't hard or overmolded , and I have had smog techs try to fail my car in recent years not recognizing that the hose is stock.

How much did you spend. I'm debating doing the same thing later on
Just like donalds posted, I’m not entirely sure but at least $3000. Probably $3500-$4500. If you do the rebuild yourself it might be less expensive but I had a local shop do the long block for $1600, and many of the new parts aren’t cheap- like the cam synchronizer which was around $200 alone. I’ll say this- I saved a ton just from the advice and experience of the folks here. I don’t think I would’ve done anything without you guys.
ETA: okay after much thinking I would put this closer to $4500-$5000.

If you replaced it, what hose did you use for the crankcase vent hose that connects from air box assembly to the oil fill? The stock one isn't hard or overmolded , and I have had smog techs try to fail my car in recent years not recognizing that the hose is stock.
I think I just used 5/8 gates heater hose. It might not be the correct application so correct me if I’m wrong to use it. My old one was horrendous and the old guys at the local parts store said it should be fine for use on this part. I’m sure it has to be fluid rated so who knows...

Just like donalds posted, I’m not entirely sure but at least $3000. Probably $3500-$4500. If you do the rebuild yourself it might be less expensive but I had a local shop do the long block for $1600, and many of the new parts aren’t cheap- like the cam synchronizer which was around $200 alone. I’ll say this- I saved a ton just from the advice and experience of the folks here. I don’t think I would’ve done anything without you guys.
ETA: okay after much thinking I would put this closer to $4500-$5000.
Still way cheaper than a new car. I'm going to go this route

Sold the Explorer this morning. I think it went to a good home and should last the young guy quite a long time.
Not sure if I’ll have another Explorer any time soon. Time will tell.

I have a set of headlights (originals) that the new owner did not want. If someone wants them let me know. Free for the taking just pay the shipping costs or pick them up here in San Antonio. Headlights are gone...

Today nothing. But I'm thinking about making ceramic coating. Did you have some such experience? Is it worth it? I read more info on this forum and from other sources and I think I will try. Such protection is really promising. I liked that it makes car cleaning much easier than before and it will stay clean longer!

Today nothing. But I'm thinking about making ceramic coating. Did you have some such experience? Is it worth it?
There are lots of threads on ceramic coating and detailing in this sub-forum. Your question might be better answered there.

So I did a 200K tuneup not too long ago to mark the beginning of a new maintenance schedule, and had the hopes that one of the things I replaced would smooth out the occasional skip I was having at idle in park. When that didn't happen I began to second-guess my work from a couple years ago and decided to investigate.
I was doing head gaskets at the time and decided it was the best time to replace the chirping camshaft synchronizer since I could see it and access it perfectly. A simple feedback voltage test today confirmed that I didn't line it up properly at all. I got 0V at the 26 degree ATDC mark I stamped into the crank pulley and got 12V at a completely different spot.
So I spent this evening taking off the upper intake, took the sensor out, repositioned it, used the multimeter method to get it lined up correctly, and now I have the idle I used to have when I first bought it.

If I recall, I had a pretty good feeling in the back of my mind that I didn't put it in correctly, but I reeaally didn't want to have to go back in and redo that. It just took a while for such a small thing to bug me enough to want to fix it. Lesson learned.

Next I'm replacing a rusted out EVAP line and addressing a power steering pump leak.

Well not today but over this week I have done a lot. I replaces the fan clutch with an USA made one from autozone, thought that was cool. I changed the oil filter not the oil and man there were some rust pieces collected at the top of the filter. My explorer had set for a few years about two or three. I had changed the filter and oil about a thousand miles ago when I first got it. The previous owner wanted to take care of it but he seemed busy. It was his Grandpas truck and he was wanting to see it put back on the road. I had a feeling especially because I hear about sludge build up that it might appreciate a fresh filter. Also I am learning that sitting fluids dont seem to stay fresh. Did the filter yesterday and ended up finding out I dont have back brake right now. I put to new front calipers on and to new brake hoses for the calipers. When I got to the point of bleeding the old fluid out of the rear I was unable to pump any fluid out of the bleeders. I also did the zip tie throttle cable boost and a fuel filter. The filter wasnt to clogged up but it was holding back some garbage. Not suprising and I have been running out of gas a couple times lately. A lot of stuff I believe might still be original. I think I have 248,000 miles on the SUV. The grandpa and original owner took it in for regular service. It has a Ford owners manual that shows it being serviced a lot. Seen that it was being taking in at least to 150,000. The fuel filter I pulled off was Motorcraft and the clutch fan was Ford. I know the filter was probably changed years ago at a Ford dealership or someone might have bought it from a karts store? It was rain last night and I sure was enjoying driving with the sunset. I am glad I put some duralast wiper blades on to the other week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back