What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

Finished clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinder and line replacement today just to have the starter not turn over now :/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you have to fight the trans into place? Does the starter try to engage the ring gear?

Fixed the Idle Issue, turns out it was a faulty EEC-IV. My caps had leaked and caused a lot of corrosion, burned/broken traces so I fixed it for free with some Capacitors I had laying around (I build guitar pedals for my music and mess with vintage computers for fun). Just took it for a test drive, it's running great, actually a little better than before this fiasco thanks to replacing the burnt MAF sensor, cleaning the throttle body and replacing the faulty intake gasket and missing screw anchor for the airbox. Still getting a few KOEO and KOER codes that I'll go through later so I can tune this thing to darned near perfect.

Next up is an oil change, but I'll wait until later in the week for that, things are a bit tight right now. Need to clean out that oil that smells like gas from running in "Hobble Mode".

20210606_161947.jpg

20210606_142946.jpg

20210606_103501.jpg

20210606_103440.jpg

20210606_103335.jpg

Let's hear what you accomplished today!

I'll start!

Balmy high of 20 today, so I figured I would take advantage of it and try to get my heater working.

Drained coolant -> looks like a new radiator/heatercore/hoses is in my future
Replaced t-stat
Replaced serpentine belt, tensioner and idle pulley
Removed smashed headlight bucket/bezel
Removed broken door card
Repaired drivers window bushings
Replaced drivers door pins -> scratched some paint :thumbdwn:

New car that my grandfather gifted me; this forum has been a great help while I wait on my service manuals to show up.

So...?
Well technically it was yesterday (Saturday) but I replaced the passenger side front door weather stripping gonna replace the driver's side door hinges soon since the door sags

Did you have to fight the trans into place? Does the starter try to engage the ring gear?
Trans went right in, starter doesnt even click. I feel like it may be the switch on the master cylinder push rod that diesnt let you start unless you press the clutch. The new pushrod didnt seem to fit as well

Trans went right in, starter doesnt even click. I feel like it may be the switch on the master cylinder push rod that diesnt let you start unless you press the clutch. The new pushrod didnt seem to fit as well

Yes, check that first. You can test the starter by having the trans in neutral and jumping the starter solenoid on the fender. You can start the vehicle this way if you need to as well. Just turn the key to 'on' and jump the solenoid until the engine starts. Just make sure its in neutral and the park brake is set.

Yes, check that first. You can test the starter by having the trans in neutral and jumping the starter solenoid on the fender. You can start the vehicle this way if you need to as well. Just turn the key to 'on' and jump the solenoid until the engine starts. Just make sure its in neutral and the park brake is set.
Yeah the new master cylinder has a shorter neck which is causing the clutch safety switch to be too low for the pushrod to activate it. I pulled it up and put a spacer on it and it works, however i dont have enough clutch range to disengage the clutch enough to shift into gear. May have to switch back to the old master cylinder :/

Yeah the new master cylinder has a shorter neck which is causing the clutch safety switch to be too low for the pushrod to activate it. I pulled it up and put a spacer on it and it works, however i dont have enough clutch range to disengage the clutch enough to shift into gear. May have to switch back to the old master cylinder :/
I feel like this is a common problem on many manual transmissions at least ones with some miles on them. Mine is hard to shift and I have to shut it off and play with it. Reverse is the most difficult it likes to grind and and not find. It may be that there's no synchros. Anyway I wish we could buy an adjustable master cylinder. One time on a 1989 F150 that I had that was so so at letting the clutch disengage I actually cut the pedal down so it wouldnt hit the floor board ha ha. After enough cutting I got more throw and was able to shift the truck pretty good. Beats pulling the whole transmission to try to replace clutch parts.

I feel like this is a common problem on many manual transmissions at least ones with some miles on them. Mine is hard to shift and I have to shut it off and play with it. Reverse is the most difficult it likes to grind and and not find. It may be that there's no synchros. Anyway I wish we could buy an adjustable master cylinder. One time on a 1989 F150 that I had that was so so at letting the clutch disengage I actually cut the pedal down so it wouldnt hit the floor board ha ha. After enough cutting I got more throw and was able to shift the truck pretty good. Beats pulling the whole transmission to try to replace clutch parts.
That would definitely give you more pedal movement haha. I was looking and there is another hole on the clutch pedal that i may try moving the rod to in case that gives me some more clearance.

That would definitely give you more pedal movement haha. I was looking and there is another hole on the clutch pedal that i may try moving the rod to in case that gives me some more clearance.
Ha ha yeah I definitely could tell I was getting better throw on the master cylinder.
Hmm yeah I think that if we could get more movement that would be good. I also dont like how there a little plastic piece that keeps the rod from popping off the pedal. I might try figuring out a better solution because my pedal rod must be warn down because the master cylinder rod popped off with a new plastic clip.

Ha ha yeah I definitely could tell I was getting better throw on the master cylinder.
Hmm yeah I think that if we could get more movement that would be good. I also dont like how there a little plastic piece that keeps the rod from popping off the pedal. I might try figuring out a better solution because my pedal rod must be warn down because the master cylinder rod popped off with a new plastic clip.
Oh yeah my brand new clip already broke a finger off

I broke the bumper recently and today or tomorrow I want to fix it. Maybe I even will need to change it! Bad situation! I ordered a steelcraft bumper in an online store and waited for it to be delivered to me. I liked that they had free shipping in their store and they brought it to me quickly enough. And when I already had a bumper, I unscrewed the old one myself, connected the headlights, installed a new one and everything, I was pleased with myself.

I broke the bumper recently and today or tomorrow I want to fix it. Maybe I even will need to change it! Bad situation:(
As good a time as any to get/make a steel replacement!

Lex4me,
Some inspiration for your up-coming bumper build! :cool:

c7so_enus0rjyh0j78map3twlyuqyubjnqnsdhga-w2400-jpg.jpg

31yvwkbj7do0zkerkexa2olaisf5fdormyzh-9pq-w2400-jpg.jpg

I'm in San Antonio right off 1604/I-10 on NW side of town. Those were a set of RanchHand bumpers I found on Craigslist back in '09. They were on a 94 Eddie Bauer Ex that was being parted out. $200 for the set but I had to pull them off. I never said a word, just shook the guy's hand and then went to get my tools!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm in San Antonio right off 1604/I-10 on NW side of town. Those were a set of RanchHand bumpers I found on Craigslist back in '09. They were on a 94 Eddie Bauer Ex that was being parted out. $200 for the set but I had to pull them off. I never said a word, just shook the guy's hand and then went to get my tools!
Wow what a steal! Im out in San Angelo about 3hrs north west of you.

Back