What else is known to feel like a dragging brake caliper? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What else is known to feel like a dragging brake caliper?

sattech2000

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stevensville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
What else is known to feel like a dragging brake caliper? 96 Explorer 4.0 OHV well maintained.

Started noticing it about 6 months ago. Initially out on the highway I could feel a slight drag from time to time. When I noticed it, it would be instant here then instant gone.

It seems it is now here to stay and is very gradually getting worse. Like my foot is on the brake but starting to push harder.

I just did 70 mph for 20min and felt each caliper with my finger, could hold finger on all 4. So that rules out brakes/wheel bearings.

Drivetrain looks good visually and all fluids have been checked. I have amsoil in all of it except engine.

Currently have front drive shaft out and steering perfect, no pulling either way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy I screwed that last post up. New phone. Anyways parking brakes were completely removed. Cables and guts at the rear wheels.

I hear no bearing or any noises at all. For the first couple minutes cold it's good but then starts dragging

I'm wondering if the issue is with the engine itself? Things like bearings and differentials, if they are trash warm, they are trash cold.

Torque converter stuck locked up? Although that would stall the engine

Wheels rotate by hand easily with the truck jacked up?

Def not from the engine. That things running like a raped ape. I swear it has better performance and gas mileage then my 99 did. Have the back end jacked up engine running turning the tires i can tell something is binding up. Going to drop rear drives haft now(front has been out and see what hapoens) I'm suspecting transfer case.

Any weird noises? A bearing eating itself should make some noise

Back