What else is this truck famous for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What else is this truck famous for?

squeege

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ex 4x4 Eb
After the purchase of my 92 4x4, I have found though a series of repairs that this truck was famous:

Famous for bad radius arm bushings

Famous for the faulty al4d transmission

Famous for cracked cylider heads.

Famous for a faulty 4X shift motor.

What other notorious faults am i due to be paying for, I am running out of money!

I dont think I can afford much more celebrity.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't forget rusty dog legs and bad auto locking hubs. Also dont forget that with a 14 yr old truck things will go wrong. It is FAMOUS for being the #1 suv for so so many years.

It's also famous for being a definite head turner if you've got a lifted (or lowered for that matter) "grocery getter"

dont forget about those armrests....

fine piece of engineering right there...x_X

bmxking5 said:
It's also famous for being a definite head turner if you've got a lifted (or lowered for that matter) "grocery getter"

Defintly agree with this, I have been getting more looks since i installed my body lift and 33's....guess some people just don't see a lifted or lowered X everyday :D

The engine is strong at least the guy at Firestone said he sees 1st gen explorers go through 3 trannies but the engine wont need replacing yet.

The good thing is that since these are common problems, you can look on this forum and find the fixes, or at least share your sorrow :(

I've learned a few tips from personal experience, too: Don't lean on the armrest; don't let your engine overheat and make sure your temperature gauge is working right; drive with the transmission in (D) not overdrive unless you're on the freeway and install a transmission cooler if you tow. That may prevent or reduce the likelihood of some of the problems. Not to mention regular maintenance and positive thinking :thumbsup:

Now pretned you just bought a 92 S-10 or blazer and then compare the issues.....
92 is 14 years old man, its gonna need some work :)
the 91-92's are friggin tanks in my experience, they run forever when treated right.

arcblue said:
Don't lean on the armrest;

If you have to lean on the armrest, but a block of wood under the end of it, that will help reduce the strain on it

or you can slice the bottom part of the mount off enough so it still holds the armrest in place but just lifts off, it cant break!

Also famous for corroded battery wires.

don't forget about

broken lower shock mounts
loose lower intake manifold
and the self desructing/black death A/C compressors.

JStrider said:
If you have to lean on the armrest, but a block of wood under the end of it, that will help reduce the strain on it

or your cd case :) it works just as well, and looks a little better

engine Pinging

Rolling Over
Bad Tires

HAHA. Had to

Freakin door handle and door panels. I've seen one go on eBay for $100 because they are such a high comodity. I've seen almost all 91-94 with door handle/panel problems...

squeege said:
A

Famous for the faulty al4d transmission

I know my a4ld tanny is still holding up...maybe the al4d was a bummer year? :D ;)

PTBishop said:
or your cd case :) it works just as well, and looks a little better

IF you have a cd player :p

even if I stacked the tape converter on top of my mp3 player it wouldnt hold it up level...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What else?

Got a stock 92 4x2 myself. In spite of the repairs that I've made, I wouldn't trade this beast for nothin' (I haven't had to spend a ridicules amount of money) :thumbsup: ...What I want to do is lower it about 2 inches. Any suggestions?

Back