What the? My Transmission pan has no drain? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What the? My Transmission pan has no drain?

BadThad

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited V8
I've been having a problem with tranny fluid leaking from my radiator. I wanted to add some fluid, but my pan is nothing like I've seen on the web. Typically, 55R5 has a drain plug with an internal torx fill hole. MINE PAN HAS NO SUCH HOLE! Any ideas?

2006 Explorer Limited V8

transmission_pan.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do you know the build date of your 4th gen? 3rd gens do not have a transmission drain plug.

for example when I added an auxiliary tranny cooler, i had to funnel in the addition ~1/2 quart of fluid into the hose then hook it up to the cooler quickly.

If you have an early build date 4th gen, it could have 3rd gen parts, im thinking?

Thats not a 5R55S/W, that is the 6R60, its a six speed.

The way to check the fluid is on the passenger side just above the pan rail, remove cover (bolt) and inside is a small dipstick. Its filled through that hole. Enjoy!

6R60 Fill.JPG

Thats not a 5R55S/W, that is the 6R60, its a six speed.

The way to check the fluid is on the passenger side just above the pan rail, remove cover (bolt) and inside is a small dipstick. Its filled through that hole. Enjoy!

View attachment 76513

Yea, thanks...I found it and the mini-dipstick.

Thanks for the help guys. This forum ROCKS!

Back