What's the secret to streak-free windows? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the secret to streak-free windows?

Ok, this is one thing that has always bugged me. For the life of me, I can't get perfectly streak-free windows. I've used multiple types of glass cleaner, cotton rags, paper towels, and newspaper, all in different combinations.

The combo that got it the best was glass cleaner and paper towels, followed by a newspaper buffing. It still didn't satisfy me though. In the right light, I still see streaks.

So any better suggestions? :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow you tryed just about everything just park under a tree or in some shade and use windex or a type of glass cleaner and newspaper change the sheets quite often tho they get real wet and soggy fast

i clean my grandmas house windows with vinegar and water solution.. that seems to work well.

I use a water dampened microfiber towel to wipe, and a dry microfiber towel to dry.

Stoner's invisible glass and micofiber towels

I'll second this combo... never a streak on any glass. :thumbsup:

(at least until my kids get into the truck...)

break the window you'll never have streaks :D

Actually I would say sprayable foam glass cleaner. I also have a mixture of 1/4 cup vinegar, teaspoon of liquid detergent and 3 cups of water in a spray bottle. Make sure you mix it up well.

two tips.
1)Scrub the glass clean with #0000 steel wool.
2) On the inside of the glass use only left / right strokes
on the out side use up / down strokes. Why? So when you DO get streaks you know which side it is on. :)

I use invisable glass with one micro fiber to rub it in and a second to rub it dry.

Yep - Stoner's Glass cleaner seems to work pretty well.

If you are one who uses paper towels, only use plain white paper towels. Don't use the towels that have "prints" on them, as the ink or dye used in those prints is what causes smears as well.

Don't use freaking Windex of ANY type... I don't care how many commercials and thier bottles say "streak free", I've never used any Windex product that was streak free, it leaves streaks all the time, no matter what type of paper towel, cotton towel, micro fiber, newspaper, etc you use.

Coffee Filters;)

old trick we used for cleaning the sneeze guards at a restraunt. and we just used hot water from the coffee maker:thumbsup:

Get a Lab, put her in the back with the windows open. Do this several times a week for two years. You will never worry about streaks again because you are tired of cleaning windows after every trip with the dog

+5 on that stoners invisible glass. works greta for me as well. spray on window dry with microfiber than buff dry with another microfiber.

water/vinegar with newspaper works 100%. dealers in town use it.

windex and coffee filters or newspaper

I'm just happy to know I'm not the only one that's **** about streaky windows! :)

Gonna have to try the coffee filters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cleaned my windows in shop last night. I used invisible glass with some of that brown paper towel that schools usually have. I noticed ALOT of streaking in the glass after that and followed it up with this white paper towel that they use to prep surfaces before painting. After that i had no streaks but a few mins later my windows were covered with bondo dust.

Back