When will Ford do quality paint jobs?!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When will Ford do quality paint jobs?!!

EliteConcept

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
LaPorte, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Civic LX
*RANT ON*
i know its been said a million times...but Ford can't Paint worth a lick!!!
I was walking out to my truck to go to class and i noticed a fairly noticable brownish grey area under my rear passenger tail light.....it stuck out like a sore thumb on my white truck...
i walked up to it to see what it was...and low and behold the paint has just pealed away from that area...
i'll get pictures of it later...but its just totally bogus

:mad:
i don't get it...the truck was garage kept from new till 2003. grrrr i hate fords paint jobs!!
*RANT OFF*
~ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah....I've got the ol flaking paint around the wheel well moldings.

Yes, yes it is true.
Ford paint sucks.
Orange peal
Delamination
Spider webbing

Are the most common I have seen.

I was looking at a Thunder Bird that had orange peal on the showroom floor.
Not a pretty sight.

Sorry about the paint flaking, But a question about ur rear badging, where'd you find that ford oval, looks like it's clear oval, I have a 2k2 w/ euro light, white like yours, but like the wheel well lip molds on yours better! thanks for the info,

Originally posted by dtl 2k2 sport
Sorry about the paint flaking, But a question about ur rear badging, where'd you find that ford oval, looks like it's clear oval, I have a 2k2 w/ euro light, white like yours, but like the wheel well lip molds on yours better! thanks for the info,

Its a embelem mod. All you do is heat it up and take the embelem apart, sand the back and paint it whatever color you want. BTW I sent you a PM about getting together (I live in fredericksburg)

my paint is flawless on my 97..im VERY happy with it..
dcp_1000.jpg_idshr

my son's is also right off the show room clean..fact his is better then mine..but i havent done the clay bar on mine yet
2004-02-09_011.jpg_idshr_idshr_idshr_idshr

blue- if i didn't have to drive my truck everywhere you can bet mine would be "show room clean" as well...
my guess is that your boys limited can't get MUCH use since he can't drive yet not trying to start anything but you have to admit its true. :)

the rest of my body paint is fairly ok...but i'm most worried about the area i've mentioned and along the bottom part of the hatch...on my all along the bottom of the hatch it rusted from the back side out.....really really dissapointed me...hopefully this one won't do that...

i will post pictures tomorrow of the flaking paint..maybe someone can help instruct me on the best method to fix it.. :(

Originally posted by EliteConcept
blue- if i didn't have to drive my truck everywhere you can bet mine would be "show room clean" as well...
my guess is that your boys limited can't get MUCH use since he can't drive yet not trying to start anything but you have to admit its true. :)

the rest of my body paint is fairly ok...but i'm most worried about the area i've mentioned and along the bottom part of the hatch...on my all along the bottom of the hatch it rusted from the back side out.....really really dissapointed me...hopefully this one won't do that...

i will post pictures tomorrow of the flaking paint..maybe someone can help instruct me on the best method to fix it.. :(

trust me.my son's paint was pretty bad when he got it.it had been threw sooooo many drive threw car washes with the brushes for it's whole life.but with some HARD work he got it back to show room clean.heck look at mine..this is what it look's like right now
2004-03-08_013.jpg_idshr
and the above pic is what it look's like in the summer..see a differance and mine will be better then the pic above after a good clay baring

hey man sorry you had a prob but don't say all ford's paint is bad....my 84 ranger still has factory paint on all the panal's and it look's pretty good

well i just think there is a strong opinion that ford's paint has always been sub par. i am just voicing my expereince with it :) :(

and me the same..i feel it's better then some other company's out there that try to pass that crap they sprikle on there car's/truck's as paint..just personal experance..

good luck with getting it fixed!!

I vote for the sub par. My 91 X cleacoat started to bubble after about 3-years. I have a 96 mustang, that was kept waxed, the clearcoat has started to wear thin on the front fenders, but not the hood.

heres my upsetting pictures. :(

Attachments

• peal3.jpg
    peal3.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 198

a bit further back
some paint around it is very loose and i could probalby just peal it right off...:(

Attachments

• peal2.jpg
    peal2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 195

well you got rust..that's not the paint's falt..rust will cause that..do they use alot of salt where you live?..cause none of our truck's have rust

i see it as the painters fault.

why would a truck that was garage kept for its first 7 years and kept in awesome shape by me and the previous owner rust out that early??

yes my area uses alot of salt on the roads but i can think of 3 other areas that would rust out more due to road salt...for this reason it must be the painters fault

Wow, i never heard about ford doing bad paint jobs, i know ours has been outside for the past 10 years and driven in the winter and left in the snow in canada. The only paint thats been damaged is either rust under the front left door, or small dents were the trucks been hit. Other then that its perfect.

see the salt's the prob.they stoped using salt here back in 92.now there's NO rust on anything running around now.maybe you should move..lol

really.we have had nothing but great thing's to say about ford's paint

i think it's the falt of your city.not the painter.anything will have paint chip if there's rust under it.it happend's.now you just have to get it fixed

good luck with getting it fixed

It all is knowing what to look for too.
Being in the business that I am ( collision repair )
I tend to notice more subtle things that others may not pick up on.

Some of the problems CAN be solved through TLC others, not so much.

And Yes, rust on the body IS the fault of the paint in 70% of the cases.

My paintjob is about 75% original, and still looks pretty damn good. If some ******* didn't take a screwdriver to my driver's side lock so he could steal my stereo it would be 100% original. I even took the X to a Ford dealer and they repainted both the driver's side doors, and did a very nice job at matching the paint. Been about 6 months since then and still looks good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back