WHo has 35's on a 2nd gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WHo has 35's on a 2nd gen?

Hello,
I only have about 2.5" of lift, and am running 33 x 10.5's with no problem (other than a dire need to change grears). I was wondering with a 3" BL and wheels with the correct backspacing, could i run 35 x 12.5's????

My concerns are A)the axles? I've read that 8.8's can only handle up to 33's reliably? b) the triming, i have no lower front bumper plastic thing, but can one trim there rear part of hte fender and make it look decent? Will i even need to trim? c) he steering components - can they handle the extra weight, friction and finally d) brakes and tranny?

It's won't be for a while, but i just bought into a little performance shop so i can now consistently get good prices on most thigns.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 8.8 won't have any problems with the 35s, the front SLA D35 is a different story. That is the end you will have to worry about.

Brakes will be ok. Steering should be ok. Tranny...........so so.

Trimming, yes. You will need to trim quite a bit.

Jefe, do you have a BL? I don't think I'd change the front diff until it explodes on me...LOL.

I"ll get some correctly off set rims and gears and a locker first, but I'm still not happy with the look of my truck with the 33 x 10.5's. I think perhaps it might be fine with 33 X12.5's however you gotta figure if you're going to have to buy new tires, you might as well get taller tires at the same time right? (I don't think i'll hear any objections here...)

Also, do you, or for that matter anyone else with 35's have a pic of their truck NOT off-roading, to guage the over look/size?

Originally posted by cantspell
Jefe, do you have a BL? I don't think I'd change the front diff until it explodes on me...LOL.

I"ll get some correctly off set rims and gears and a locker first, but I'm still not happy with the look of my truck with the 33 x 10.5's. I think perhaps it might be fine with 33 X12.5's however you gotta figure if you're going to have to buy new tires, you might as well get taller tires at the same time right? (I don't think i'll hear any objections here...)

Also, do you, or for that matter anyone else with 35's have a pic of their truck NOT off-roading, to guage the over look/size?
At the time I wrote that thread it was 1.5" TT + 3" BL, 15x8.5 3.75 BS rims, 35x12.5 BFG MT's

Originally posted by sk1er17
so let me get this straight... you have only a TT up front and you're running 33x10.50's with no problem?
The skinnier tire is a lot easier to fit. . . heck, I ran around town with 35's and 2.5" TT without a problem :D (SOA in rear, and no BL in prep for SAS [and having trimmed like shown] ) It only had about 2" between the tire and top of the fender though :eek:

Ask Doug.. He runs 35s... I believe all he did was a 3" BL & TT/Shackles plus alot of trimming..

LOL, yeah. I have stock rims as well, adn there's a little rubbing at full lock, but i can get full compression now, ihave a little more lower travel, as my shocks have slight extensions. But yeah, it works pretty well. I have D rates t-bars which aid in travel, but i've honestly always thought that my truck was a little higher than others i saw...maybe there some some variance in stock depending on models, options?

My fenders are at about 37" all around, a little higher in the rear though.

(all of this, makes me think that with a 3" BL, and rims with better backspacing, I can fit 35 x 12.5"s)

(all of this, makes me think that with a 3" BL, and rims with better backspacing, I can fit 35 x 12.5"s)
Without trimming (actually cutting), it ain't gonna happen.

. . .all of this, makes me think that with a 3" BL, and rims with better backspacing, I can fit 35 x 12.5"s
Sorry, but there ain't no way.
First of, if you're still on stock 15x7 rims, as soon as you go to a 15x8 to run a 12.5" tire, you're moving the tire out, causing more rubbing, then you're trying to fit a tire thats both an 1" larger in diameter, PLUS an 1" wider each side. The 3" BL isn't going to help that much.

Just going from a 33 to a 35 (same rims, same lift) I had to trim at least 2 (probably 3) more inches from the back of the front fender.

You know you're asking a lot there. . .But after an hour of searching EF, I finally found the only one I remember:
(Its so. . so. . .short :D . . . its no wonder I had no flex . . . but man is that a sweet looking rig :) )

ht_35-3.jpg

Looks like i still had some trimming to do. Those are the bald 35's that I bought off RangerX

Nice rims hehe I will have em on next week.

That's it, your trucks looks GREAT! I like the large tires/height, and the semi-stock look it still has. Hows the handeling with 35"s??? I'm regearing in mid may, i guess i should go with 4.56's right?

Thanks for finding the pic!

That's it, your trucks looks GREAT! I like the large tires/height, and the semi-stock look it still has. Hows the handeling with 35"s??? I'm regearing in mid may, i guess i should go with 4.56's right?

Thanks for finding the pic!
Thanks. Going from 33's to 35's didn't seem to make much difference if i remember right (it was a long time ago). As for gears: at least 4.56's. . I'd go with 4.88's, unless you drive at 80+ mph a lot.

I have a '98 XLT 2x4. I would like to run 33's and With all this talking it seems like id be able to do it with a 3" BL, TT and shackles... Can i or cant i?

Originally posted by GooseR
I have a '98 XLT 2x4. I would like to run 33's and With all this talking it seems like id be able to do it with a 3" BL, TT and shackles... Can i or cant i?

yessir

hardazz (eric) has a 97 sport with 3" body lift, tt, shackles, and if i'm not mistaken eh has done the soa with 4-door springs.

Awesome! Do you think itd Rub any? because later on i Will get the Procomp 3" Suspension lift, but Im an Impatient guy so i want everything now, lol. and How much are shackles? would a local Advanced Auto parts have them or Pep Boys?

You are not going to fit them without cutting sheetmetal in the rear of your front fenderwells, at least 1.5” or more. Here’s the thread I started when I took the plunge to 35’s:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=59431

Here’s a “non-offroad” photo of mine right after I mounted them. Installing them whiteletter out breaks up the profile and makes the tires look smaller than they really are. I've noticed that all-black tires look bigger than whiteletters of the same size.

Attachments

• mvc-017f.jpg
    mvc-017f.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 373

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's mine with 35's and trimming up front. I really dont rub at all untill i get full compression in the back and i rub a little.Doing my SOA soon so that will fix that. I only rub up front when im at full turn and the terrain is really bumpy. ANd im not rubbing anywhere in this pic but it looks like i am.

Attachments

• 20040117_11.jpg
    20040117_11.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 331

Back