Will the wheels from a Dodge Nitro fit the Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will the wheels from a Dodge Nitro fit the Explorer?

nextreme

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
I am looking at a set of used winter wheels and tires. They are off a Dodge Nitro. The tires are the exact size as what is used on the base Explorer, 245/65/17. I know that they use the same bolt pattern (5 x 114.3) but does anyone know if the hub will fit? What about offset?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking at a set of used winter wheels and tires. They are off a Dodge Nitro. The tires are the exact size as what is used on the base Explorer, 245/65/17. I know that they use the same bolt pattern (5 x 114.3) but does anyone know if the hub will fit? What about offset?

Thanks
I don't have the answer you are looking for but at my dealership, outside of Ottawa, the base model 17" steel wheels are $99 each. I'm seriously looking at getting a set for my Limited and then get the BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI tires in the 245/65R17 size.
If you get the used set you will likely have to put Ford's TPMS valves in them unless you are okay running all winter with the TPMS alarm.

Peter

Because its Dodge....umm NO!

Because its Dodge....umm NO!
My '09 Highlander came with 19" wheels and I used 17" steelies from the Rav4 for my winter tires. The guy at the tire shop said that I wouldn't be able to use those 17" wheels on the Explorer.

My '09 Highlander came with 19" wheels and I used 17" steelies from the Rav4 for my winter tires. The guy at the tire shop said that I wouldn't be able to use those 17" wheels on the Explorer.

Oh I don't doubt you, I should have quoted the OP.

I just have a disdain for Dodge, my family has owned them, I've driven a couple and good god..wow!

I don't have the answer you are looking for but at my dealership, outside of Ottawa, the base model 17" steel wheels are $99 each. I'm seriously looking at getting a set for my Limited and then get the BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI tires in the 245/65R17 size.
If you get the used set you will likely have to put Ford's TPMS valves in them unless you are okay running all winter with the TPMS alarm.

Peter

Hey Peter, will you have to re-calibrate your speedometer since you are going from 20's to 17's? I am looking for a solution for winter as well since it is now the law to have winter tires.

Hey Peter, will you have to re-calibrate your speedometer since you are going from 20's to 17's? I am looking for a solution for winter as well since it is now the law to have winter tires.
I use the calculator at www.1010tires.com Click on the Tech Section in the upper right corner and then select Tire Size Calculator. It will tell you the tire diameter difference is 1.67%, well within the 3% allowable margin. It will mean that your speedo will read 1.689% too fast. In aother words 100km/h actual will now be 101km/h on the speedo. When I went from 19" to 17" on my Highlander I never recalculated anything and did not have any problems.

Oh I don't doubt you, I should have quoted the OP.

I just have a disdain for Dodge, my family has owned them, I've driven a couple and good god..wow!

Trust me, I share your same feelings towards Dodge. I however am seriously trying to figure out if they will fit. The guy won't sell just the tires. I looked here http://adaptitusa.com/referencebook.htm

They say that the centre bore on the Nitro is 71.5 (mm's I guess). They don't have the 2011 Explorer listed but they have the 2008 listing 70.3. I guess this would mean they would fit if the Explorer hasn't changed but I am still not sure about the offset.

Trust me, I share your same feelings towards Dodge. I however am seriously trying to figure out if they will fit. The guy won't sell just the tires. I looked here http://adaptitusa.com/referencebook.htm

They say that the centre bore on the Nitro is 71.5 (mm's I guess). They don't have the 2011 Explorer listed but they have the 2008 listing 70.3. I guess this would mean they would fit if the Explorer hasn't changed but I am still not sure about the offset.
I seriously doubt they will fit. When I first inquired about the base model wheels back in March, the Ford parts manager told me that the part numbers for the 2011 wheels were completely different from the 2010.

I seriously doubt they will fit. When I first inquired about the base model wheels back in March, the Ford parts manager told me that the part numbers for the 2011 wheels were completely different from the 2010.

Well I guess I won't bother then. The guy won't sell the tires by themselves. The cost to buy them used, remove the tires from the rims, buy new rims and have them remounted... and also the 2 hour round trip drive to pick them up! Not worth it for saving a couple hundred bucks on used winter tires.

May as well just buy some new 18" winter tires in my town and put them on my factory wheels. Then no TPMS or rims to buy. I was priced some Toyo G0-2 Plus and the 18" cost less than the 17"!

May as well just buy some new 18" winter tires in my town and put them on my factory wheels. Then no TPMS or rims to buy. I was priced some Toyo G0-2 Plus and the 18" cost less than the 17"!
I had those on my '09 Highlander. I found them very good and fairly quiet compared to the Coopers I once had. The only reason I didn't get them again was that it is not a brand that the Ford dealer has on his list. They would be a special order as is the Yokohama. So I'm looking at the BF Goodrich.

I had those on my '09 Highlander. I found them very good and fairly quiet compared to the Coopers I once had. The only reason I didn't get them again was that it is not a brand that the Ford dealer has on his list. They would be a special order as is the Yokohama. So I'm looking at the BF Goodrich.

What was the price the local dealer gave you on the BFG's?

What was the price the local dealer gave you on the BFG's?
I copied this from another reply I posted.
I have figured out what my cost will be and for 17" steel rims ($99 ea), 245/65R17 BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSI tires ($191.79 ea installed/balanced) and TPMS valves ($56.60 ea) it comes to $1390 before tax, and that does not include the base model wheel covers at $41 each.

I'm trying to decide between buying a set of rims for winter tires or just putting winter tires on my original wheels. Anyone know how the 20" polished aluminum wheels will hold up if subjected to lots of salt, etc.?

I'm trying to decide between buying a set of rims for winter tires or just putting winter tires on my original wheels. Anyone know how the 20" polished aluminum wheels will hold up if subjected to lots of salt, etc.?
If you clean them regularily during the winter they may stand up. That may not be the only thing to be concerned about. I've heard that in some cases, as time goes on, the tires become difficult to seal to the rim due to constantly being taken off and put on the rims. You must also be careful to ensure the TPMS sensors are not damaged when the tires are removed from and installed on the rims. As well have you considered the price difference between a 20" winter tire and a 17" ?

If you clean them regularily during the winter they may stand up. That may not be the only thing to be concerned about. I've heard that in some cases, as time goes on, the tires become difficult to seal to the rim due to constantly being taken off and put on the rims. You must also be careful to ensure the TPMS sensors are not damaged when the tires are removed from and installed on the rims. As well have you considered the price difference between a 20" winter tire and a 17" ?

More importantly, a 20" winter tire won't perform as good as a 17".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll probably end up going with 17". The price isn't going to be a lot different between 20" tires and 17" tires with wheels. It's also a hassle going somewhere to get the tires changed. I'd rather do it myself at my convenience and there won't be additional cost each year that way.

Back