Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind / Whistle Noise from Front Door / Mirror?

Sorry about that. Another Senior's moment. I copied the number incorrectly when I did the search. Used 17862 instead of 17682.:banghead:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blwnsmoke:

What/how did you address your mirror having the clear bra on it? I have the whistle and Xpel on it and would want to keep the wrap on.

Thank you,

Jay

Blwnsmoke:

What/how did you address your mirror having the clear bra on it? I have the whistle and Xpel on it and would want to keep the wrap on.

Thank you,

Jay

Xpel dealer offered to put a new on one for free after I explained it was replaced under warranty.

My XLT is going in on Friday 8/7 to have the whistle looked at - will report back the solution (not hopeful).

Mine's at the dealer right now. Even showing them the work order and explaining how to "fix" it with tape or pulling the mirrors in, I'm nervous that the service writer seemed unconvinced. Frankly, this kind of fix should not be that difficult!! It's not a serious issue and I certainly don'
t want to call in Ford Customer Service ... but I do wish there was some sort of intermediate step to talk to someone at Ford and have them urge the dealer to make it right!! Hey, maybe it ought to be the QC engineer at the Chicago plant ... might get his/her attention that way!! :)

Ken

Mine's at the dealer right now. Even showing them the work order and explaining how to "fix" it with tape or pulling the mirrors in, I'm nervous that the service writer seemed unconvinced. Frankly, this kind of fix should not be that difficult!! It's not a serious issue and I certainly don'
t want to call in Ford Customer Service ... but I do wish there was some sort of intermediate step to talk to someone at Ford and have them urge the dealer to make it right!! Hey, maybe it ought to be the QC engineer at the Chicago plant ... might get his/her attention that way!! :)

Ken

I know back in the day on the Mustang forums there was this liaison that got s*** done - she's since gone ghost from the forums lol. They'd get everything escalated to a territory manager.

I hope they road test it on the highway it's impossible to miss.

Ford pulled all their reps from all forums a few years ago. Never did explain why.

Peter

I know back in the day on the Mustang forums there was this liaison that got s*** done - she's since gone ghost from the forums lol. They'd get everything escalated to a territory manager.

I hope they road test it on the highway it's impossible to miss.
I seem to recall there was also someone on one of the F-150 forums when the new aluminum 2015 came out as well.

Every time I mention info online, the service writers here seem to recoil and say the info is meaningless. Although I'll agree that the forums are often skewed a bit because more people complain than compliment, I think it'd still be a good way to gain feedback on issues.

Ken

I seem to recall there was also someone on one of the F-150 forums when the new aluminum 2015 came out as well.

Every time I mention info online, the service writers here seem to recoil and say the info is meaningless. Although I'll agree that the forums are often skewed a bit because more people complain than compliment, I think it'd still be a good way to gain feedback on issues.

Ken

Absolutely. The only time they ever do anything for me is if i bring a copy of the TSB...not sure why they can't do that for me, but I digress.

Well, I just got our ST back and ... "could not duplicate owner's concern". :(

Admittedly this occasional whistle is a very minor issue, but it still bugs me. Think I'll wait a while, maybe for my next service in a few months, and see if Ford has a TSB or there's some other kind of documentation that will help them figure it out.

Amazing that my 70 year old ears, with tinnitus, can hear the whistle and the fact it goes away when the mirror folds back. Maybe the Tech has gone to one too many rock concerts and just can't hear whistles??

Other than this, the remainder of my service was fine. They changed the oil & filter, topped up the coolant (which came from the factory with the level below the "Cold" line), and fixed a loose handle on the passenger side rear door pull. I was kind of afraid that they'd need to replace the door pull itself (whole door panel and the insert with the power window switch), but it looks like a "repair" did the job. Everything else inside is tight as a drum. I had also asked them to check for loose or missing bolts and they checked the torque on both front and back bolts on the undercarriage with a report of "nothing wrong." Must of made a little difference as I sometimes heard kind of a low pitched rumble in the rear, sort of like a loose shock sounded like back in the old days, when driving slowly through our neighborhood. Same road, same speed on the way home and it seems to be gone now!! :)

Cheers!!

Ken

Well, I just got our ST back and ... "could not duplicate owner's concern". :(

Admittedly this occasional whistle is a very minor issue, but it still bugs me. Think I'll wait a while, maybe for my next service in a few months, and see if Ford has a TSB or there's some other kind of documentation that will help them figure it out.

Amazing that my 70 year old ears, with tinnitus, can hear the whistle and the fact it goes away when the mirror folds back. Maybe the Tech has gone to one too many rock concerts and just can't hear whistles??

Other than this, the remainder of my service was fine. They changed the oil & filter, topped up the coolant (which came from the factory with the level below the "Cold" line), and fixed a loose handle on the passenger side rear door pull. I was kind of afraid that they'd need to replace the door pull itself (whole door panel and the insert with the power window switch), but it looks like a "repair" did the job. Everything else inside is tight as a drum. I had also asked them to check for loose or missing bolts and they checked the torque on both front and back bolts on the undercarriage with a report of "nothing wrong." Must of made a little difference as I sometimes heard kind of a low pitched rumble in the rear, sort of like a loose shock sounded like back in the old days, when driving slowly through our neighborhood. Same road, same speed on the way home and it seems to be gone now!! :)

Cheers!!

Ken

I hope they are rolling down the passenger window when doing 60 on the highway. It is hard to hear it with the window up if you are in the driver's seat.

Brought it in, and the service advisor told me everyone is bringing them in complaining and there's nothing they can do due to no direction from Ford.

I'm pretty pissed off, it's unbearable to drive on the highway.

Brought it in, and the service advisor told me everyone is bringing them in complaining and there's nothing they can do due to no direction from Ford.

I'm pretty pissed off, it's unbearable to drive on the highway.

I just had mine in and they ordered a new mirror assembly to replace it. A good dealer will push that through even though Ford has not released a fix. I showed my service writer the forum when someone had it replaced on a service order and it fixed the issue.

I just had mine in and they ordered a new mirror assembly to replace it. A good dealer will push that through even though Ford has not released a fix. I showed my service writer the forum when someone had it replaced on a service order and it fixed the issue.
My dealer replaced the mirror assembly with one on the lot and it did the same thing, so they put mine back on (paint film was on it by then). I’m getting the oil changed Friday and asked if there was any news from the open ticket with Ford, and got a “no updates”. I will keep pressing, I guess, but one would think if they had a fix, there’d be a new PN.

Are there any aesthetic differences between the LH vs RH plastics at all?

My dealer replaced the mirror assembly with one on the lot and it did the same thing, so they put mine back on (paint film was on it by then). I’m getting the oil changed Friday and asked if there was any news from the open ticket with Ford, and got a “no updates”. I will keep pressing, I guess, but one would think if they had a fix, there’d be a new PN.

Are there any aesthetic differences between the LH vs RH plastics at all?
I had same issue and it wasn't the mirrors it was the door gasket. They replaced all the gaskets from the driver side door and noise is gone with the wind... The hard outer gasket was replaced as well.

I had same issue and it wasn't the mirrors it was the door gasket. They replaced all the gaskets from the driver side door and noise is gone with the wind... The hard outer gasket was replaced as well.

Was yours a loud whistle at highway speeds or the low speed whistle on the passenger side? Mine is the low speed whistle on the passenger side only. The mirror shroud is different between the right and left so someone forgot to rev the design of the RH mirror probably when they discovered an issue.

Was yours a loud whistle at highway speeds or the low speed whistle on the passenger side? Mine is the low speed whistle on the passenger side only. The mirror shroud is different between the right and left so someone forgot to rev the design of the RH mirror probably when they discovered an issue.

Would you be willing to take a pic showing the difference you're seeing as different after your issue was resolved? Mine look exactly the same from what I can tell.

IMG-2286.jpg
IMG-2287.jpg

Would you be willing to take a pic showing the difference you're seeing as different after your issue was resolved? Mine look exactly the same from what I can tell.

View attachment 320543View attachment 320542

If you look at the piece of the assy covering the window, the drivers side has a depressed area and the passenger side is smooth. This effects the airflow and velocity of air between the mirror and the window. This has been suggested to be a possible contributor to the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you look at the piece of the assy covering the window, the drivers side has a depressed area and the passenger side is smooth. This effects the airflow and velocity of air between the mirror and the window. This has been suggested to be a possible contributor to the issue.

I see the contour on the drivers side now in my pictures. Thanks for clarifying. Would love to see what the result is on the rev'd/new assembly you get installed. My dealer is waiting on anything (here/Ford) to help them out, so the more info you can get would be super helpful.

Back