• Register Today It's free!

Winter complaints

Ry-guy

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT w/ tow package
Now that it is winter time in norther Alberta, Canada, I found a couple of things that "irk" me about my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. First off the lighting in the cargo area is poor. It gets dark outside by 5 pm and when you have to load or unload the cargo area you can't see anything back there. Next complaint is that the mode selector needs to be changed back to snow mode everytime you turn the vehicle off. I wish it would just stay on the mode you set it for and stay there until you change it. And tonight I went under the hood to get out the plug for the engine block heater to find you cannot leave it dangling out the front of the hood. The cable is so thick the hood will not close with the plugin hanging out. Every time you need to plug in the block heater you have to open the hood, plug it in and leave the hood half latched. Other than some small things I have had no other problems with the vehicle. MFT works good (other than being a little slow at start up, but hopefully the up comin update will rectify this). We just had ten centimeters dumped over the last twenty four hours and it has excellent traction in the snow. I do not have any major complaints, just some small things that I wish Ford would spent more time looking at. Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I solved the light problem by purchasing some Engergizer LED Tap lights....they operate on 3 AAA batteries, and put off a great amount of light all for $5

Do a search about the block heater. Others here have run a small, wire gauge appropriate, small entension cord, and zip tied in strategic places, to extend the length on the heater block's short cord.

Now that it is winter time in norther Alberta, Canada, I found a couple of things that "irk" me about my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. First off the lighting in the cargo area is poor. It gets dark outside by 5 pm and when you have to load or unload the cargo area you can't see anything back there. Next complaint is that the mode selector needs to be changed back to snow mode everytime you turn the vehicle off. I wish it would just stay on the mode you set it for and stay there until you change it. And tonight I went under the hood to get out the plug for the engine block heater to find you cannot leave it dangling out the front of the hood. The cable is so thick the hood will not close with the plugin hanging out. Every time you need to plug in the block heater you have to open the hood, plug it in and leave the hood half latched. Other than some small things I have had no other problems with the vehicle. MFT works good (other than being a little slow at start up, but hopefully the up comin update will rectify this). We just had ten centimeters dumped over the last twenty four hours and it has excellent traction in the snow. I do not have any major complaints, just some small things that I wish Ford would spent more time looking at. Ryan

Hey Ryan, we got some snow in NB now too and today was my first snow day with the new Ex. I am running the stock All Season tires and I find them so-so....obviously a snow tire would be better, but I wanted to put them to the test in conjunction with the snow mode. My first impression is that snow mode helps compensate for the poorer traction and the ride is overall do-able and ok. However snow tires would make this a pretty good winter vehicle, so that will be next on my list.
I digress, my question for you was wether you have snow tires or not, and if so, what kind?
Thanks

Replacing the rear light with a high powered LED will fix the problem. Also it would be bad to have the terrain response stay in the last mode. It wouldn't be pretty forgetting and driving on dry ground in anything other than normal.

I solved the light problem by purchasing some Engergizer LED Tap lights....they operate on 3 AAA batteries, and put off a great amount of light all for $5

Pics please? :)

Replacing the rear light with a high powered LED will fix the problem. Also it would be bad to have the terrain response stay in the last mode. It wouldn't be pretty forgetting and driving on dry ground in anything other than normal.

I agree.
I am not the primary driver of the X but I can see myself or my wife forgeting to put it back in normal terrain mode.
I would rather have to remember to put it in snow mode than remember to take it out.

They (Ex Platform Engineers) know about the poor lighting in the cargo area and as well the poor design of the PowerFold switch pack in the cargo area.

Likely fix will be out for 2013MY so if you wish to stay with stock parts wait to see as they will be building 13's in 2 months.

Should have more info in a few weeks.

I wil also find out more info on the Police Interceptor Utility cargo lights, if they are offered as OEM parts I will find out the numbers for ordering.

I could dig more light in the cargo area. I'm about to start LED swap outs on my interiors.

I like them dim actually. Too bright and you're advertising your car contents to waiting thieves ... (smash & grab)

I didn't realize that anyone had actually done the LED conversion on the 3rd row cargo area headliner light.

Can whoever has done this one post some pics or instructions I would like to try.

Also the LED bulb part number please

I didn't realize that anyone had actually done the LED conversion on the 3rd row cargo area headliner light.

Can whoever has done this one post some pics or instructions I would like to try.

Also the LED bulb part number please

I agree

Hey Ryan, we got some snow in NB now too and today was my first snow day with the new Ex. I am running the stock All Season tires and I find them so-so....obviously a snow tire would be better, but I wanted to put them to the test in conjunction with the snow mode. My first impression is that snow mode helps compensate for the poorer traction and the ride is overall do-able and ok. However snow tires would make this a pretty good winter vehicle, so that will be next on my list.
I digress, my question for you was wether you have snow tires or not, and if so, what kind?
Thanks
Keep in mind the Winter tires also have much better traction on cold bare roads. So called all season (3 season) tires begin to lose their grip at 7 degrees C (44 F). That is why they are now referred to as Winter tires. I have the 245/65R17 BF Goodrich Winter Slalom KSI Winter tires on my Limited. Went with the base model 17" steel wheels.

I think I would rather have the snow mode stay active then to realize half way through a spin out or after you hit the ditch that you forgot to change it. It would be easier to change it back to normal mode during the warmer months then realize after the fact that you forgot to put it into snow mode. As well I find the all season tires adequate. I think if you only had the front wheel drive model you would want the snow tires for sure. Ryan

As well I find the all season tires adequate.
They may be adequate Ryan, but I think you would want something that is better than that. Winter tires have been proven to be much safer, especially in cold weather, regardless of snow and whether the vehicle is FWD or AWD.
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

I believe you can fish the block heater cable through the front grill, it take a bit of work but I recall one member doing it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They (Ex Platform Engineers) know about the poor lighting in the cargo area and as well the poor design of the PowerFold switch pack in the cargo area.

Likely fix will be out for 2013MY so if you wish to stay with stock parts wait to see as they will be building 13's in 2 months.

Should have more info in a few weeks.

I wil also find out more info on the Police Interceptor Utility cargo lights, if they are offered as OEM parts I will find out the numbers for ordering.

Access to those parts would be great. Please let us know if you learn anything about availability.

Back