• Register Today It's free!

Wireless Charger Mod?

Barry Trobaugh

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Platinum
Searched our database and still don't see anyone's creative success.

Somebody has surely come up with a way to mount a wireless charger in our Explorers. Short of just plopping one of those discs down at the front of the console, we need a collective "think tank" approach to the challenge.

Who's up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I looked on Amazon curiously and only found them for the 2020 & newer explorers. You could go with a wireless charging mount from proclipusa.com. I have a proclip mount in all my vehicles, but none use wireless charging.

They're pricey, but imo worth every penny... I generally use AA, so my phone is plugged into car charging via cable anyways. Holds my Note 20 Ultra in a rugged case snugly.

16413473959825917608966202133163.jpg 16413474226943366479021515472846.jpg

That is definitely one means of making it work.

I was more interested in some sort of pad to just position the phone while driving. I'm probably asking for too much, but the new(er) Fords have this and there MUST be some way to mod my '18 Platinum

That is definitely one means of making it work.

I was more interested in some sort of pad to just position the phone while driving. I'm probably asking for too much, but the new(er) Fords have this and there MUST be some way to mod my '18 Platinum
Get er done.

So just buy some wireless charger base, scrap the casing, mount it behind that center console stack compartment. It doesn't seem difficult to do, just time invested. Pick what circuit to tap into, probably one only live with accessory/battery-saver circuit power, but it's is a low enough current draw that practically any circuit would have that much current to spare, but still, would be advisable to put a dedicated fuse on any DIY added circuit.

If you want it placed somewhere closer to eyesight (might be bad driving safety liability but whatever) then pick where.

There's no limit to what you could fabricate if you want to spend the time/money vs aesthetics of what it looks like.

It seems like you don't need a think tank as much as just jumping on the learning curve of how to fabricate, and how to implement electronics. Any proposed idea will still require similar efforts.

Let me put it another way. Where do you want to put it? You may have to pick again, some things just aren't reasonable. ;)

"Slapping one of those discs down" doesn't seem unreasonable at all, just wherever you put it, route the power wire/connection to it into a hole made in the panel it's mounted do, then under the console or dash the wire runs to the circuit it taps into. It would be the least modifications to stock, to only make a little ~ 4mm hole to route the wire through to tap into a circuit.

Back