wiring from engine to interior? please help!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wiring from engine to interior? please help!!

I put some LED down lights on the underbody of my 98 explorer, they were originally wired into the park lights circut. But I've been forced to take them out of there as they turn on everytime i turn my headlights now.
and the damn local authorities are not too happy about it.

So i brought a switch and all the rest of it, so that i could turn the LED's on from inside the car. just, one huge problem.

I cant figure to find a way to pass wires through the firewall.
(i think thats what its called)

can anyone please tell or show (pics if possible) me where the best access point to do this would be?

I've spent all afternoon trying to find a way with no luck
so any help would be much appreciated!
thankyou!

The way that i ran my wires through the the fire wall is right above the hood release cable. just pull back the carpet and find where the cable runs through the wall it is covered in black plastic, now make sure that you can see the cable in the engine compartment where it goes through the firewall just to make sure nothing is in the way when you drill. Drill the hole and use rubber grommets so the metal does not shred your wires when you pul it through. to fish the wires through a metal hanger or what i use, large zip ties with the heads cut off taped together they work best....good luck

IMO drill a bigger hole 1/2 inch or so so that if you wanted to run more wires through you dont have to drill multi holes, theres not much room to drill alot of holes...

Welcome to the forum btw

thanks =]

I tried drilling through next to the hood release cable thing.
It was too hard to reach still, so I cut a hole through this round rubber thing about 70mm above the hood cable. went through fine :)

now i got a sweet switch and LED light (to let me know when the power is circuting) to the 8 LED downlights on the underbody of my ex.

I'll do i writeup for it soon :)

Good whatever works for you, one thing when you do the writeup include pics do you have a pic of what the lights look like at night curious to see....

Back