• Register Today It's free!

Wont stay on!!!

Kadahaf

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston/Myrtle Beach, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT/'95 XL
This is an emergency! actually not. Any ways, I was out tonight with the ladies, and I had to pull out of the parking garage to pay the lady to let me leave (big mistake not having cash on me). So I parked my truck, and walked a couple blocks to the nearest atm (at 1am yes) and got back to try it again. I get in, and crank it and it turns on fine (ok good so far) but then instantly dies. I can hold the ignition on forever, but it sounds like she just doesn't wanna turn on. I call AAA and he says it might be my fuel pump. He tows me to my house (1 hour ago) and now she sits all sad because she's dead afaik :(.

please help a poor old soul :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

err they had to ride in the cab.....but I stole my brother's truck and took em home.

I said last night I meant...this night? I dunno something like that

Do you think they'll return your calls still?

haha been with them for months now, I don't make the calls, they do ;)

if you hold the gas pedal does it continue to run?

when you turn the ignition to the on position does the fuel pump prime.

a quick test that usually works for me is to bang on the gas tank with a rubber mallet or somethig careful not to dent it. that will usually get the fuel pump working temporarely

When it was doing this I could pump the gas and I'd feel nothing.

Now this morning when I tried somethings I found out like the inertia valve (good btw) and the iac (cleaned) fuses (all good) the car refuses to even turn over.

Ill try the mallet to the tank and see what happens.

Keep the ideas coming! thanks

Here's the update

I checked the relay for the FP (it's good) I swapped it with the WAC and it still worked. I tried to listen for the FP but everytime I could only hear a single click.

I guess it's a bad pump? I whacked it a coup[le of times with the mallet but jnothing changed.

Disconnect the wiring going to the fuel pump, and connect a test light. When you turn your ignition switch to the accessory position, your test light should go on for a few seconds, then turn off. This will let you know that your fuel pump is getting electricity. Now take a booster pack, and jump your wiring to the fuel pump. Make sure that you don't mix up the polarity. When you touch the wiring, you should hear your pump turn on, and not just make a short click. If it only clicks, then your pump is defective.

I only heard a click when I wanted to listen for the pump. For reference I listened for the pump on the 96 and heard it clearly. I deffinintly didn't hear it on mine. Any ways I dropped it off at a local mechanic and hopefully it wont be a huge bill...

bill came back for 600$ fawk that, I could have done that myself...

That is cheaper than mine cost when it left me stranded in Des-Moines Iowa two years ago.

It ran me $750

it seems the guy replaced the filter, too.

unfortunatly I ran into another problem......the belt tensioner

Back