Wtf is wrong with my a4ld valve body? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wtf is wrong with my a4ld valve body?

XploreAlaska

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska / USMC camp pendleton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited
Okay I'm missing 2 checkballs(I think somebodys messed with it before, should be at LEAST 5, right?) and I was kinda rough with my manual valve index'r, there was black **** all up in my VB now it won't go anywhere, dosent even try to go into gear, what happened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Replace 3/4 solenoid, boost valve and a few springs. Mostly cleaning... The black ****, what's that from? I just changed fluid/filter not too long ago.

I've never gotten it real hot, and its not metalic or chunky, its like black snot/ peanut butter

Just got back from the you-pull-it junkyard with another VB and even though it had chunks of needle bearings and the atf was shiny and glittery, it didn't have any black **** in it either. At least there's no goo inside of this one.

Update: my valve index linkage came off during installation somehow, anyways, I don't have reverse now, only thing I can think of is that the reverse servo has to have that spring installed a certain way (I might add that this is where I found the black goo) ...and, I don't know where it went but a puck seems to have grown legs and dissapeared, what exactly do the pucks controll??

I know, I had this thing apart a million times in the last 2 days, I think it stuck to the gasket and fell onto the ground somewhere, does it have anything to do with my reverse? It worked before I had the VB apart and cleaned all that crap out of it, 50% of it coming from the low/reverse servo, totally stumping me.
I also took 2 more checkballs from the donor VB I snagged up today (didn't have any extra pucks in there.. Interesting..) My atsg manual says something about 2 solenoid VBs not getting 6, but 5 instead, is there a valve that can be blocked by a checkball that's connected to any of the bores assosciated with reverse?

One option is to send it out to Central Valve Bodies for testing. They could tell you if it's defective, and either rebuild it for you or sell you another one. Either way you would know if the problem is only with the valve body. There are other ways for you to test it yourself with a Sonnax test plate for the valve body, and a Rotunda test plate for the transmission.

Back