ZWilson07's Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ZWilson07's Build

Looking good. The tear downs just seam to go on forever with out looking like much is getting done and then all of a sudden it's apart and the more glamorous stuff can begin. I wish mine was as clean as yours. Mine is a total rust bucket by comparison.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good. The tear downs just seam to go on forever with out looking like much is getting done and then all of a sudden it's apart and the more glamorous stuff can begin. I wish mine was as clean as yours. Mine is a total rust bucket by comparison.

Thanks for the kind words man. Mine does have a few spots that will need to be taken care of that I am not to happy about but for being 15 years old and 200,000 miles while also seeing winter use through those years, I guess I can't complain.

Sorry it has taken me so long to update the thread. Didn't seem like too many were interested anyways but I finally got to work a small amount on it today. Nothing to ground breaking but the small things that take up a lot of time.

First thing was to get the garage cleaned up a good amount as it was pretty bad. It was really dirty and not organized hardly at all. I have been crazy busy with work as well as having to work on a few other vehicles and my 3500, so the explorer has got the back seat for awhile. Plus with me not having concrete yet and the garage not being insulated well, it seems like it gets a lot dirtier with dust, cobwebs, etc than say a really nice insulated, concrete, drywall, etc garage that many have. I can't wait to build a nice one in the next few years but for now this is a million times better than having none at all so I shouldn't complain. Got some things organized, a lot of explorer parts put away that I previously was storing on my trailer that was in here, blew all the dust/cobwebs out of there and anything that got built up underneath the explorer.

IMG_5822.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg
IMG_5820.jpg

Most of my time tonight was spent on the actual garage and cleaning but I turned my attention back to the inside of the explorer and the "hellish" amount of factory sound deadening material. If any of you have ever spent the time trying to get it all out including old factory seam sealer, you will know exactly what I mean. It literally is such a slow process even with heat, scraping, etc. You will have hours of work into what looks like just a small area. Didn't really take pictures of that as it still kind of looks like the above ones I have already posted.

A reminder. You can see how it just gets chipped/scraped very slowly away. You can also see the plastic wiring harness covers/pockets a little bit here that I will mention later on.

Explorer%20654_1.jpg

Then I cleaned up the huge mess it makes and vacuumed all the small pieces up. The sides of the interior have these plastic covers/pockets for the main wiring harness to run through which are riveted in place at the factory. This was really bugging me as I couldn't get the area behind them and between the sides of the vehicle in order to vacuum and clean the gunk build up in there. I really didn't want to pull them since they were riveted but the thought that I have taken so much time/effort to clean everything else and do this "right" to the best of my current abilities, it seemed almost a crime to leave it.

Word of advice for anyone that is planning on doing it, drilling out the rivets aren't really the best way to go. The center section of the rivet that gets drilled out doesn't really hold them in place much, it has a set of 3 wings that get flared out underneath the vehicle which seem to stay in place even after you drill the center section of them out. After a few different methods, I found it best just to go from underneath and cut straight sideways through the entire bottom section of the rivet that sticks out underneath the vehicle with a cutoff wheel. Making sure that you go parallel to pinch weld and as close to the underside of the vehicle body as you can. You end up slicing right through the center part of the rivet as well as the majority of the three wings. This weakens them enough that you can go up top and pry underneath the plastic pocket section to where it pulls the whole rivet head and remaining portions of the wings through the opening. One thing to note on the front driver and passenger ones, there are four rivets each holding them end One of the four rivets goes into a chassis section that you don't have access to when underneath the vehicle. The other three just go straight down through the floor pan with nothing to block access from underneath. So for that one on each side, drilling it out is really the only option but it does take a fair amount more work than the other method I mentioned.

Sorry I didn't get some pictures of them installed from underneath but it was just one of those days where I didn't want to stop the work for pictures. I really do try my best to just go slow and spend time taking progress pictures, but sometimes it just doesn't end up that way. Especially since I ran out of vinyl/mechanics gloves half way through, my hands became really filthy which halted a lot of camera holding.

IMG_5824.jpg
IMG_5825.jpg

Front all finished and cleaned up.

IMG_5827.jpg

Rear all finished and cleaned up.

IMG_5828.jpg

Putting it to bed for the night.

IMG_5831.jpg

Thanks

Why are you removing the sound deadening?

Well a few reasons really.

I am wanting to put new down so I wanted to get all the old out especially since it was in such rough shape. After 15 years and 200,000 miles it had begun to be some nasty stuff so it needed to go. Yes I know I could have just went over the top of it but I have no idea what is under there and I don't want to go this deep just to have rust underneath there. I am actually glad I did because of the deadening areas over the seam sealer. They were starting to get pretty rough and I could see where surface rust was starting to form in a lot of the seams. I don't know if the seam sealer just didn't play nice with the sound deadening or what but it was really turning into a wet nasty gooey mess and a few areas did rust the metal thin. Versus the areas that sound deadening that was over just painted metal, the deadening just became hard like stone.

Nice work, and this is going to be a great Explorer for sure. I think the garage is cool too, most of us would love to have a space like that to work in.

Looks like you've got quite the project on your hands. I've done a few of these build threads in other forums and may start one here for my newest project. If there's one thing I've learned it's that quite a few people look at them and skim them over but few will post. I like to do them if for no other reason than to document my project.

Keep up the good work!

Nice work, and this is going to be a great Explorer for sure. I think the garage is cool too, most of us would love to have a space like that to work in.

Thanks for the kind words. It should come out pretty well, I am just needing to find the time to get a lot done. Like most things in life I either have the time but no money, or now I have the extra money but no time to work on it. It definitely isn't the nicest garage but I make due with what I have and I should be thankful. I went a lot of years without anything at all so it's much better than that.

Looks like you've got quite the project on your hands. I've done a few of these build threads in other forums and may start one here for my newest project. If there's one thing I've learned it's that quite a few people look at them and skim them over but few will post. I like to do them if for no other reason than to document my project.

Keep up the good work!

Exactly my thoughts as well. I have done a few myself and have had numerous vehicles but I don't always post a build thread. Especially if I know it is going to be one that is going to take awhile but like you said it is more to show pictures of everything, reminder of things, and to track progress. Not necessarily to show off or become well known on the forum.

Thanks for the posts guys.

I like to do them if for no other reason than to document my project.

This is most of the reason why I continue mine. I'll occasionally do something to it that I don't document, but for the most part I document everything. Plus it's fun to look back and see what you started with.

ZWilson07, just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I'm not watching.
:popcorn:

Keep up the good work!

Seth K. Pyle

ZWilson07, just because I haven't posted doesn't mean I'm not watching.
:popcorn:

Keep up the good work!

Seth K. Pyle

Thanks man!

Ok guys finally got a little bit of time to work on it again. I have been sick all week so it has pretty much been hell for me especially while at work. I didn't have much energy but I tried my best to get some done. I don't get much time to work on it at all but if I can force myself to work on it at least a small amount on Friday nights, it will make a big difference over the long haul.

Currently I am back in school again as well as still working full time Sunday through Thursday. I work 7:45PM to 5:45AM, then class from 8AM to noon, then sleep from 1-6:45/7PM with my off days being Friday and Saturday. So I try to work on the explorer Friday nights and spend time with the fiancé on Saturday night before starting it all over again. So as you can see, it isn't to easy for me to get a lot done on this currently.

Worked on getting the upper intake off today. Had a good portion of the bolts broke loose previously, I just had to get the two left under the middle cover as well as working on all the connections.

IMG_2497.jpg

I will say up front, removing it was a complete pain in the ass for me. I didn't realize how big of a pain it was going to be for all the vacuum, coolant, egr, etc lines to be disconnected. Maybe it just wasn't my day but the job was miserable to me. Still got it done though.

IMG_2517.jpg

After I got it off I started working on a lot of the main harness connectors, grounds on the firewall, misc connections, and fuel injector wiring. I will have to wait for the rest of the front to come off to complete it. My goal next time is to get all the coolant drained, hoses off, fan/shroud, radiator out, etc so I can get the harness off some more.

IMG_2526.jpg

After that I worked on the interior factory sound deadening crap but not a big enough change to show. I am gonna try to switch to using heat and a scraper because it is just taking up way to much time and effort.

Thanks

Well finally some kind of update.

I hate that I have been away for a while but life happened. Ended up going back to school again and have been working as a medium and heavy duty diesel tech so that has been taking up a lot of my time.

You know how it goes, have the money but don't have the time or you have the time but don't have the money.

Not much has changed on the 2000 explorer end. Almost ready to pull the motor out which I need to do before winter actually hits here. I know once that happens not near as much work will get done on the projects as I don't have a heated garage.

But you all will be happy to know this happened!

IMG_6222.jpg

The white got me again!!

Actually I just happened to come across it. Was driving down the highway and saw it up in a guy's yard for sale or part out. It is in pretty rough shape but could be worse. It's a 97 4.0 4x4 that was actually decently nice up until it sliding off the road during a snow storm and damaging the fender, hood, door, roof some, and blew out the windshield. It needs a lot of tlc but I am "hoping" to get it running decent, put a windshield in it, and drive it for the winter. Then sell it or part it out in the spring and use what I want for the 2000 build. I don't have a 4x4 at this time to use so I am hoping it all works out.

Tucked away for the time being. I didn't get many pictures as it was starting to rain as soon as I got home and considering the fact that it doesn't have a windshield, I didn't want the interior to get soaked.

IMG_6225.jpg

Haven't decided if I am going to start a thread about the 97 progress since it isn't really much of a build but possibly.

Thanks

Got a few more quick pictures of it. Like I said it has seen better days but after some tlc it should be a decent driver or good winter vehicle.

IMG_6223.jpg
IMG_6230_1.jpg
IMG_6233.jpg
IMG_6232_1.jpg

Well some kind of an update. It is actually work that I had done before after pulling the intake off but I never got around to posting the pictures.

Next was to pull the fan, shroud, drop the coolant, and pull the radiator.

Starting

IMG_2527.jpg

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

Fan pulled. The pneumatic tool makes it so much easier.

IMG_2533.jpg
IMG_2534.jpg

Shroud pulled

IMG_2536.jpg

Draining coolant

IMG_2538.jpg

Radiator pulled and hoses

IMG_2564.jpg
IMG_2566.jpg

Then moved on to the exhaust and other misc things. Working to get this motor pulled soon.

IMG_2620.jpg

Worked on the Sport a little this weekend too but didn't get any pictures yet. Got the interior trim back in, speakers, both door panels back in, and visors. The only thing left as far as the interior goes is the passenger seat and center console. I purposely left them out for the time being as I need to get to one of the O2 sensor connectors that is under that center plate of the floor. Once I get that sensor replaced I will put the center console back in and passenger seat back in and hopefully the only major thing that will be left is a passenger door window and the windshield.

To be continued..

Thanks lol. I know not to much exciting stuff going on but its all the million little things that have to be done that people never see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got to work on the Sport again just a tad bit tonight when I got home from work. The temperature is dropping like a rock here but got both rear O2 sensors out and their respective wiring harness/connectors. I got the front 2 O2 sensors out as well but kept the harness/connectors in place as they are such a pain in the ass to get to.

For whatever reason right before I brought the truck home, someone cut the wiring to all 4 O2 sensors. It wasn't like that originally so me thinks someone was trying to steal the exhaust before I came and got it the next week or they were trying to screw me over. Not the biggest deal in the world but still kind of a pain. They left all 4 O2 sensors literally still their respective places, just cut the wires. So I am going to take the rear O2 sensors and the wiring to work and repair them there, and I am just going to repair the two fronts while still in the truck when I get a chance to bring home some supplies from work. At least now the wiring for the front two sensors is sitting right in the opening of the floor access panel hole versus trying to reach in between and above the exhaust with tools.

I guess I could have possibly done all 4 still in the truck but I really didn't want to have to do that and plus I wanted to pull the carpet anyways to make sure it wasn't wet. So I just used that opportunity to pull the center console, pull the carpet back, pull the front plate, and gain access to the front 2 connectors. Speaking of that floor plate, I swear I have never came across an explorer that didn't have at least one of the bolts/screws not want to thread out as they just use flimsy metal clips onto the bottom of the plate itself to let the bolts thread in. I guess that is just how it goes dealing with these "older" vehicles.

I am going to try and get some pictures next time so it is at least somewhat enjoyable to see an update besides just reading what I type.

Thanks

Back