RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

I did my homework on the Dixon Bros kit. I was not dissin it in any way, shape or form at all. I know it comes with high angle CVs capable of handling an angle of an additional 20 degrees I believe is what their site says. Not to mention the stronger a-arms and adjustable bump stops I think I read? I still think it's too much for me to consider.

Dixon Bros would be how I would do my truck if I had the resources.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if the rear shock hoop Dixon has will work for an Explorer? Anyone know if the frame rails in the rear are the same width and the same bends? Rough measurements and eyeballing look like the shock hoop would fit perfectly just behind the rear seats.

The Dixon 4wd kit (Or camburg, depending on pricing and availability) is in the future for my 98 somewhere. That is pretty much the reason I kept it, to turn it into the play toy. I think long travel IFS is the best of both worlds, just wish it didn't cost so much.

nope.
Ranger leafs are outside the frame rails, Explorer leafs are under the the frame rails.
the frame rails on a Ranger and WAY different then an Explorer after the front suspension

A simple cage can be built to pick up your rear shocks.

BigDave!!! has a very nice rear end setup from King on his registry that I will be looking into for my SOA. I think with the SOA the shock angle will be even better for this type of setup.

Well he has Deaver leafs that lift his truck 4" in the back even though the axle is still spring under, so it would be similar.
It is a good setup however and he apparently likes the handling on and off road. Spare now goes in the cargo area I am guessing, so it's a trade off. bed cage = simple to fab, better shock angle, loss of cargo space.
Under the bed = loss of spare holder, not as good of an angle on the shocks.

Can you even fit a 33" tire under the truck in the stock spare location?

A 31 or 32 on a 2nd gen is a very tight fit front to back so i doubt it.

The limiting factor is the semi circular metal bracket that acts as the stop for the fron of the tire (just behind the axle) Since you are SOA now you may be able to get away with bending this bracket back some without interfering with the axle through its range of travel. Not sure if you'll be able to bend it enough to squeeze another 3" of tire in there though.

Yes it has been done. YYou have to cut/modify the crossmembers but a 33" can fit.

Thats not a bad idea...looks good zhanx

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting 35s though. I was thinking about fabbing or buying some sort of swing arm mount for it on the hatch.

The whole time I have had 31s I never had a spare. Then again since I have the vaccume disconnect can't I run a different size spare up front?

r37ribution said:
The whole time I have had 31s I never had a spare. Then again since I have the vaccume disconnect can't I run a different size spare up front?

i'd hear but never done it that it messes with the steering when running different size tires. (i alway buy the spare had to many oopses not too)

R37, check your PM

410Fortune said:
Well he has Deaver leafs that lift his truck 4" in the back even though the axle is still spring under, so it would be similar.
It is a good setup however and he apparently likes the handling on and off road. Spare now goes in the cargo area I am guessing, so it's a trade off. bed cage = simple to fab, better shock angle, loss of cargo space.
Under the bed = loss of spare holder, not as good of an angle on the shocks.
yeah its pretty stiff on the road in the rear due to shocks and springs but is very smooth off road, you can get a shock hoop made that has a tire carrier on it and have the best of both worlds, if you keep em under the bed you have to get them valved stiffer so they can affectivly dampen the susp. movement. the only reason i kept everything under the bed is because i use the cargo space daily but when its not my DD ill definately go with a hoop.

oh yeah and by the way nice looking X r37 :thumbsup:

BigDave!!! said:
yeah its pretty stiff on the road in the rear due to shocks and springs but is very smooth off road, you can get a shock hoop made that has a tire carrier on it and have the best of both worlds, if you keep em under the bed you have to get them valved stiffer so they can affectivly dampen the susp. movement. the only reason i kept everything under the bed is because i use the cargo space daily but when its not my DD ill definately go with a hoop.

oh yeah and by the way nice looking X r37 :thumbsup:
shock hoop as in cut through the bed like what 410 was talkin about with a bed cage?

I think I'm gonna call Deaver and order some stock height LT leafs and use the King setup you have with Camburg shackles...Hows that sound?

yeah like 410 was talkin about, im not sure how much wheel travel you will actually get with stock height springs though because even though they would have 9 leaves they would have to be pretty de-arched to achieve stock height, but then again i dont work at deaver so give them a call.

you cant go wrong with the set up you are talking about but what is the truck going to be used for? if you arent going to be using it for high speed off roading then you could probably get a 2.0 non resivoir shock and get the same feel as mine while saving yourself some $$$ the only reason you would want to go to a 2.5 resi would be for more shock oil for cooler operation

then again thats just my 2 cents but i think you are on the right track

I say stock height because with SOA and my stock leafs its already about 1/2" to a 1" taller than the front and these are warn out leafs...

I'll check what the price difference is...I wouldn't mind goin fast off road...

correct me if im wrong but if your choosing shocks high speed resivoirs are good but for slow offroading Emulsion shocks are best right? check this article out (yellow text).
scan.jpg

BigDave!!! said:
yeah like 410 was talkin about, im not sure how much wheel travel you will actually get with stock height springs though because even though they would have 9 leaves they would have to be pretty de-arched to achieve stock height, but then again i dont work at deaver so give them a call.

you cant go wrong with the set up you are talking about but what is the truck going to be used for? if you arent going to be using it for high speed off roading then you could probably get a 2.0 non resivoir shock and get the same feel as mine while saving yourself some $$$ the only reason you would want to go to a 2.5 resi would be for more shock oil for cooler operation

then again thats just my 2 cents but i think you are on the right track

you can still go plenty fast off road with any shock, the 2.0 will work better than a normal gas shock but its dampening ability will just begin to fade faster than say a 2.5 due to having less oil. it will still work a lot better than a normal shock though since you can get it valved to your specifications. i didnt mean that you need a 2.0 but cant go fast with it, becuase you can, just that you could save some money than buying bigger resivoir shocks if the truck was not built purely for high speed off road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah it sounds like that article is saying that the remote reservoir is a more HD type of shock since it is more resistant to the oil and nitrogen mixing under "extreme use".

I will be getting the shocks with the remote reservoir :D

Back