RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

RockinExplorer said:
so i could combine the 4" superlift and the Dixon bros long arm kit
yeah you are definately not going to want to do that if it is indeed possible, one is a lift and the other is for performance for desert racing. two totally different things

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

but if you put em together you get a long travel lift kit..... DUH!!!
Just kidding... But adding the two together should work with a few minor issue to be adressed. You would need different coilovers to support the truck or a different shock hoop to suport the coilover or both, since your lower a-arm would be 4" lower and the coilover would no be 4" too short to do its job. The second issue to be adressed would be the x-member up front. It would have tons of leverage on it and nothing to keep it from folding backwards. I personally wouldnt trust it without some sort of longitudinal bracing.

i knew about getting different coilovers but bracing i'm still trying to work out

the Dixon bro's kit and any long travel a arm kit has everything in phase, meaning the upper and lower arms and the CV are deisgned to work together. Using a drop bracket in combo with this IMO would likely completely destroy everything the Dixon kit gains you.
If you had the dixon kit you would not want more lift height, ESPECIALLY from drop brackets.
For you and the type of wheeling you are talking about a solid axle is probably better.

FROADER said:
Should just have Deaver make you a pack with the amount of lift you want = no shackles. :thumbsup:
Is this a good idea???

The only thing is, for a spring pack to work properly (i.e. be able to actually use all of its travel) the shackle length has to be correct as well. They can build you a set of springs that has so much lift, but if you want it to be flexy as possible, then you'll need the right length shackles. They should be able to tell you the minimum shackle length you need to get the full flex out of the spring packs. Anything over this is considered pure lift, and not any more or less functional for the spring packs.

If they can build you a set that has the lift you want and that works with your stock shackle, then that would be the route to go.

If you still want to retain the stock shackle, even if they limit the travel, that shouldn't be a problem for everyday driving. If you plan on taking it offroad and want all the flex you can get you have to engineer the whole system as one.

mixing the kits

RockinExplorer said:
so i could combine the 4" superlift and the Dixon bros long arm kit

i dunno, i've been thinking about this too. I've actually found an f-150 with a similar set-up on the internet. I don't see why it wouldn't work together with proper bracing. It'd be pretty expensive though, so i don't know if it would be worth it.

If you're going to spend all that money to get only 1" of lift from shackles, you might as well just get the lift from the springs. Even though you have this new front end, you're still going to have more articulation in the rear. How high do you want to go anyway if you already have the SOA?

Ok well I just called Deaver and I guess the "couple weeks" manufacturing time turned into one day.

They shipped today and I should have them within 3-5 buisness days.

About the shackle length: My leafs were made for a stock replacement. I talked to Jeff from Deaver and he said install the new leafs with the stock shackle and check the ride height. Then make shackles according to how high you want the rear to sit. For every 1" in shackle length you will gain approx 1/2" in fender height. He said nothing about minimum shackle so I called back and talked to Gary. Gary said a longer shackle would be better since it would increase droop or flex. He also said if I were to go shorter than stock shackle I wouldn't want to make it much shorter at all.

kert0307 said:
i dunno, i've been thinking about this too. I've actually found an f-150 with a similar set-up on the internet. I don't see why it wouldn't work together with proper bracing. It'd be pretty expensive though, so i don't know if it would be worth it.

Anything will work if you throw enough money at it!!

Jeff also said that the center of the stock X shackles will hit the from on the X when under flex (I'm assuming) so they must be replaced.

I gotta run to the bank and make a deposit before I get an over draft fee! I didn't expect to have to pay for the rest until at least Friday...

Nick26 said:
So are we going to have to wait just as long to see the pictures as it took for you to install it? :D
Pics are on page 8.

I'll post them on the 1st page too.

FROADER said:
...How high do you want to go anyway if you already have the SOA?
I don't want to go any higher. Thats why I had Deaver custom manufacture me close to stock height long travel leafs.

The front won't go much higher up.

Alright well I just ordered some used Superlift extended sway bar links. Hopefully they will reach ok.

FROADER said:
So I just saw the Jefe has the warrior shackles with his Deaver pack and it flexes like a ****
Yes, but the main reason I still run the warriors is because Deaver screwed up on the lift/spring rate of my springs. Even with the shackle it sits lower than I originally wanted it too. I really don't need the shackle for flex, as my pack is near flat at ride height. It does flex great though :thumbsup: And would flex even better if I finished up my project to add 15" travel outboard shocks. ;)

i have to ship your swaybar links on monday 3-day select or something, im on my way to glamis. im sure they be the right amount for ure lift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright thanks sikamikanico816 (wow now if thats not a tongue twister I don't know what is).

Back