RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

HOLY GOD 2800 for the kit....argh. :eek:

Man that sucks. I sure hope i can find a used one somewhere. If thats the case for buyin it new then my blazer project is gonna be on hold. I wont be able to purchase it till late summer early fall...then the task if install :( .
Life blows sometimes.

Anyways man thanks for the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you guys are talking about spending this kind of $$ on a 4x4 coilover kit dont forget to check out the competition, so far Dixon Bro's is the only other manu., but Mcneil and Camburg will have a 4x4 kit out later this spring, rumor has it.

There are also other shops that will build you a kit, like Blitzkrieg, etc..

That Dixon Bros kit is even more expensive. It looks very well done, but it is quite pricey. On the Dixon bros website, is runs for $2990 w/o any shocks or coils. If you want to get the shocks or coils from them, add another $1170. :eek: They do specify on the website that their kit works for the 95-01 Explorer as well as the ranger.

Man i dunno about it anymore. What sets these kits apart from than for me to just buy the superlift or trailmaster kits then. I would save a grand right. I see the benefits of coilovers but is there anything else im missing? A question of curiousity, why is not having torsion bars a really good thing? please be kind to me the explanation.

My main concern with Superlift and Trailmaster kits is, I dont see a point in raising the truck up 4" then making brackets that drop 4" to accomodate the torsion bars! Don't get me wrong, Superlift and trailmaster are good kits, but I would prefer a design that made more sense.

I think the biggest thing is not having the torsion bars and brackets hanging down. In a lift which preserves the torsion bars, then the torsion bar mounting point under the doors has to be lowered also to preserve the geometry of the bars. This reduces the amount of clearance between the axles you gain by lifting it. The dixon bros lift costs so much, because it is not just a standard lift, it is also a long travel lift. It gives you 14 inches of travel up front. Pretty good I think.

Yeah the Dixon bro. sounds good the only downfall is the price, which is a killer. I doubt you'll be finding any used Dixon brothers kits either!

TheRookie said:
HAHA
I tried to get them to cut those old shock mounts off.
I really didn't see a point to, they don't get in the way at all and it would just be another fresh spot to rust. Maybe I will eventually but they aren't bothering me.

William Schumacher said:
...a used kit wojuld be sweet {HEY 37........ you done with yours yet :p }
The only way this kit is leaving my hands is if I sell the truck or in favor of a long travel kit instead of drop down brackets like the Dixon Bro's one, neither of which is very likely to happen. I cannot justify spending $4200 plus tax on a-arms CV joints and coil-overs. If you ask me that kit is way over priced. That thing costs more than a lot of used '95-'01 Xs cost! I mean a compairable amount of engineering is involved in lowering the front diff, in fact more parts are needed from what I can see for the RCD kit. Granted Dixon has high angle CV and ball joints included. I guess they are trying to justify the cost because of the increase in travel which I would love to have.

Anyone know the stock travel of the X? 6"-8" maybe?

adarkang said:
Well an idea for a used one in mint shape would be around $1300-1400, the only problem is the used kits are hard to come across. I just got lucky I guess.
You get what you pay for. Mine was a little cheaper, and a little dirtier but it was still in great shape. No complaints here.

on the subject of other companies making coil over conversions, fabtech, i know they are
pricey, but would their bolt on dirt logic work on the explorer? also, i sent an e-mail to camburg about their coil over conversion and they said that if i were to use stock mounting pivots then i could run any of their products.

Nice lisence plate..and what are you pulling with that ball hitch? BTW it looks sweet. are you keeping the lower air dam?

explorermatt001 said:
on the subject of other companies making coil over conversions, fabtech, i know they are
pricey, but would their bolt on dirt logic work on the explorer? also, i sent an e-mail to camburg about their coil over conversion and they said that if i were to use stock mounting pivots then i could run any of their products.
If your referring to the 5.5 Ultimate 2WD lift I don't see any reason why it wouldn't the front is basically the same. I didn't see a 4x4 kit there though.

SkanlaxJMO said:
Nice lisence plate..and what are you pulling with that ball hitch? BTW it looks sweet. are you keeping the lower air dam?
LOL I was wondering how long it would be before someone picked up on that.

Before I installed the lift the hitch was more there for protection from retarded drivers than anything, as you can see the bumper is already bent from one of them. That and the fact that I'm absent minded and can never find the damn thing when I need to haul something. It has a lock on it, just haven't removed it yet.

I'll be getting a skid plate and new bumper sometime in the near future so the air damn will be getting removed most likely.

So, what tire size are you going with?

i see.....well i guess im gonna save up for one anyways. i didnt know they gave THAT much travel.

Would it be cheaper to do a SAS........just wondering :p

seafarer76 said:
So, what tire size are you going with?
At least 33s I would like 35s, I got the gears for them :D

FROADER said:
Go get some jump pictures.
Sounds good...

jefe-8.5" huh? thats better than I expected actually...

'97 V8-Someone else will have to chime in, I like the idea of IFS and never looked into it.

[QUOTE='97 V8]Would it be cheaper to do a SAS........just wondering :p[/QUOTE]

an SAS gets real expensive quick, if i had to take a guess id say about 3500 in parts for mine and thats with non of the little stuff yet. maybe even more then that. 1600 for my rear axle, 1300 for my front 500 for tires, 200 for rims, 100 in steel, 100 for rear spring plates and ubolts, granted it can be done alot cheaper, but i want to build stuff once, so im using mostly new parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OKay the Dixon bros kit is pricey for a reason.
They give you modified CV shafts (high clearance) that can handle the increased track width and also the long travel.
No drop brackets with the Dixon Bro's kit.
The big advantage of coilovers is they can be tuned and valved. Well that and the RIDE. The Dixon Bros kit also included LT steering components.

There is a difference between a bolt on coilover conversion and a long travel A arm suspension.

Any Ranger "Edge" 4x4 kit should work on 4x4 and AWD Gen II Explorer's.
I cannot wait to see what Camburg comes up with, likely be very similar to their 2wd kit(s) but with modified CV's ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)

Here is an example of a long travel A arm 4x4 kit, this is a Total Kaos kit on a Toyota pickup. Gives you an idea of whats possible. So far not alot of aftermarket support for the 4x market and long travel A arm on the Gen II, yet.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/reviews/totalchaos/

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/projects/tacoma/longtravel/

This can cost ALOT more then a SAS or the same, but then a SAS is not the best for all types of wheeling or for everyone.

Back