whoever invented inflatable belts needs to be tarred and feathered | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whoever invented inflatable belts needs to be tarred and feathered

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
Seriously, this is the stupidest idea ever.

Try installing a high back booster seat with an inflatable belt. It doesn't fit through the damn slot in the booster seat.

Plus, all the major manufacturers don't recommend using an inflatable belt with their seats because no one know what kind of effect it will have on the seat if it deploys.

This car finds a new way to piss me off every day.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The point is to put the pressure from a seat belt holding you back over a larger area. IE less bruising/broken ribs. For some people, I would bet this is life saving.

As to the seat manufactures not recommending it, that's because the lawyers said to say that unless they test it. How many vehicles come with inflatable seat belts? Exactly, they aren't going to test it.

I'm willing to bet money the seat will be fine. Of course I'm only 19 and haven't gotten my engineering degree yet..... so what do I know

Lastly isn't the inflatable seat belts an option??? You chose to get them....

Part of package.

And no, it won't work with the seat, period.

And why not?

And why not?

Because it is too thick and won't retract since it doesn't fit through the slot which is only large enough to fit a standard seatbelt.

The inflatable seat belts don't look that much fatter?
How does the buckle of a normal seat belt fit and yet this one doesn't?

While not the wisest advice, I'd just take a dremel to the seat and make it fit. You can always brace the seat around the seat belt area. :thumbsup:

yeah, I must have missed the part in the instruction manual for the booster seat where it said if the seat belt doesn't fit to take a dremel to the booster seat to make the opening wider to make it fit

because nothing makes kids safer than by weakening the structural integrity of the seat thats holding them in the car

Maybe you should just sell it then.

Look here http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/inflatable-seatbelts-pose-new-challenge-for-parents.html. Short story:

Advice for Parents
Those manufacturers that advise against using the inflatable belts with their infant seats recommend using the child restraint anchorage system, Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children, (LATCH) instead. If they recommend against using the inflatable belts with their booster seats, they suggest moving the booster to a position that has a standard three-point seatbelt.

That is an acceptable solution, according to NHTSA. A suitable alternative to using an inflatable belt is to install the child restraint in a seating position that does not have such a belt, or to use a LATCH instead, according to NHTSA. The inflatable seatbelts typically are offered on the outboard second-row seats, but not the center seat.

But seriously, if you hate this vehicle this much then why do you keep it?

Seriously, this is the stupidest idea ever.

Try installing a high back booster seat with an inflatable belt. It doesn't fit through the damn slot in the booster seat.

Plus, all the major manufacturers don't recommend using an inflatable belt with their seats because no one know what kind of effect it will have on the seat if it deploys.

This car finds a new way to piss me off every day.

The Explorer supports the LATCH system. I was under the impression that LATCH was the safest and most responsible way to anchor a car seat in a vehicle. I was also under the impression that almost all car seats supported LATCH as well. I do not have the need for car seats, so if any of these statements are unfounded, feel free to correct me, this was just my understanding from the various articles I have read.

The Explorer supports the LATCH system. I was under the impression that LATCH was the safest and most responsible way to anchor a car seat in a vehicle. I was also under the impression that almost all car seats supported LATCH as well. I do not have the need for car seats, so if any of these statements are unfounded, feel free to correct me, this was just my understanding from the various articles I have read.

It is a high back booster seat. It positions the child to use the regular seatbelt, and positions that belt properly across their chest. The latch system is for car seats. Booster seats are the next step.

yeah, I must have missed the part in the instruction manual for the booster seat where it said if the seat belt doesn't fit to take a dremel to the booster seat to make the opening wider to make it fit

because nothing makes kids safer than by weakening the structural integrity of the seat thats holding them in the car

Like I said, you must not be able to read. "While not the wisest advice, I'd....."
I'm an engineering major, and I'm sure there's plenty of engineers, mathematicians, and mechanics on this forum who wouldn't mind helping you make sure it's strong enough.

But hey, keep complaining about your perfectly fine car. Don't read every comment fully. And don't google. Or search. Or read the owner's manual.

Maybe you should just sell it then.

Look here http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/inflatable-seatbelts-pose-new-challenge-for-parents.html. Short story:

Advice for Parents
Those manufacturers that advise against using the inflatable belts with their infant seats recommend using the child restraint anchorage system, Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children, (LATCH) instead. If they recommend against using the inflatable belts with their booster seats, they suggest moving the booster to a position that has a standard three-point seatbelt.

That is an acceptable solution, according to NHTSA. A suitable alternative to using an inflatable belt is to install the child restraint in a seating position that does not have such a belt, or to use a LATCH instead, according to NHTSA. The inflatable seatbelts typically are offered on the outboard second-row seats, but not the center seat.

But seriously, if you hate this vehicle this much then why do you keep it?
I want to, trying to convince the wife to let me. I have 2 kids, unless I want to keep one kid in the 2nd row, and the other in the 3rd, it doesn't work.

Like I said, you must not be able to read. "While not the wisest advice, I'd....."
I'm an engineering major, and I'm sure there's plenty of engineers, mathematicians, and mechanics on this forum who wouldn't mind helping you make sure it's strong enough.

But hey, keep complaining about your perfectly fine car. Don't read every comment fully. And don't google. Or search. Or read the owner's manual.

You are a student, not a parent. You don't modify the seats for your children. Besides, my wife has degrees in mechanical engineering and materials engineering, as well as a masters degree, and she's not about to try to re-engineer a product to fit our needs, just like any other parent wouldnt or shouldnt do.

The fact is the inflatable seatbelt, while it may be a safe feature for adults or older children, it does not work well with a child's booster seat.

Did you have the booster seat when you bought the car?

So let me get this straight.....you were pissed about your first one...and lemon lawed it. Then you turned around and bought a second one...and your pissed again. Didn't you try some of these things out.

This forum is a collection zone for people who simply cannot be pleased and want to ***** about small details. Get over it...buy a different booster...next time get a car without all the fancy crap on it. Wow...

This is forum for people with issues.

I didn't want the inflatable belts, it comes with the 302a package.

If I knew now that it was going to be an issue, I wouldn't have asked for a replacement.

Its a poor design, and it wasn't thought out properly.

Enough..this isn't going anywhere productive. Disagreement is fine, but personal attacks aren't.

As a parent AND an Engineer, there is nowayinhell I would take a dremel tool to a booster seat to modify it to fit the seatbelt. My kid's safety is far more important than that.

If I had this issue (and were set on keeping the vehicle), I would probably go purchase a seat that fit the belts or go buy a set of standard belts and replace the inflatable ones with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, and my 2011 didn't have the inflatable seatbelts. The replacement 2013 did.

You're just sad... You'd probably ***** if Ford bought you a new Subaru. Find a new booster.

Back