• Register Today It's free!

My Silver 03 Sport Trac Build

2Greeby7

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport Trac XLT 4x4
Hello everyone! Just picked up my 03 Sport trac the other day! Very happy with it so far and am looking forward to driving this thing more! :) Right now as she sit's she is 100 Percent stock, which is nice for the modder in me! :D I'll start off an introduce my self, my name is Chris I'm 19 and attend a military college :salute:. I previously had a beautiful 2001 Mustang (I'm a ford guy :thumbsup: ) I loved to work on that car and put a lot of mod's in her! Sad to see the mustang go but happy to have something different and more practical! (I'll attach photos of my mustang to this post for you guys!)
profilepic23006_2.gif

8229t_1.jpg

5564t_1.jpg

So my sport trac only has 77k miles and runs and drives flawlessly which is awesome for the price I got it at! Really the only things bothering me right now is the ugly stock rims, the crappy flappy cover on the bed and the ugly colored plastics. But I have some plans for all of that! I would greatly appreciate your input on my ideas for the truck.

1. Spray the plastics to a Satan black to help offset the silver as well as accent the rims. (First Project of mine!)

2. Purchase rims to get the ugly stock ones off first, I am thinking of getting the same size rims (16 inchers) to avoid headaches with the speedo being off and buying more expensive tires (Hey I said I'm in college :p: ). Also the tires on the truck now are brand new so why not! Here is the rims I am considering on putting on her now! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gear-Alloy-718B-BLACKJACK-718B-6800500-ONE-RIM-16x8-0mm-5X114-3-Carbon-Black-/121175660376 For those who might not be able to read this link for what ever reason they are Gear Alloy 718B BlackJack Rims 16x8

3. Wheel spacers to make the wheels stick out just a little out of the wheel well! I think that would look really bad ass!

4. Tint the front windows to match the rear ones. I think this will help clean up the look of the ride.

5. New bed cover! I really do not want to be dropping $1000+ on a new one so I will be looking around at junk yards and such for a used one for a decent price!

6. Upgrade the sound system, head unit first and then the speakers. I looked around and the factory sub that is in my truck is awesome but how can I upgrade it? I don't see a lot of after market solutions for this truck audio wise!

7. New floor mats! Mine are really beat up so that will be nice!

Well thats all the idea's I have for now! This is where I will post all updates and photos from now on to the day she dies or is sold! :chug:

:feedback::feedback::feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to our little place in Cyberworld! There are a lot of great people here with a ton of information.You will fit right in with the rest of us Ford boys. My Dad used to say about Fords " There's those who know, and those who don't know..." Obviously, you know!

Well, I was going to warn against tinting and having the wheels stick out until I saw you were from CT. No safety inspections in CT so you can get away with those things. Here in MA we can't.

I just purchase a used OEM cover for my ST and it looks great. I need a solid tonneau to protect my tools. There are three solid covers that I know of:
1: Stock bi-fold with locks keyed to match your truck
2: Undercover one piece fiberglass.
3: Advantage Hard Hat tri-fold solid cover.

I chose the OEM style because it was keyed to match the truck and I like the simple bi-fold design, it also was the cheapest solution! If you buy a used cover make sure you get the hardware for the cargo box!!! Most of the covers on CL in my area don't have hardware. The stock hardware will run you around $140 shipped, from an online Ford parts place.

Crutchfield is a good place to look for head units, they have a good selection and the know what fits in the ST. If a head unit requires a "modified fit" they clearly state that.

I've used Weathertech floor mats and clones of them in my cars and trucks for years. They really help if your boots are loaded with snow or mud.

The '01 Sport Trac I bought last month has a Patriot by Swiss lid. Swiss is based in Patriot, Indiana. Nice quality lid that sits on top of the sides of the truck bed. Maybe 3" high. Looks like it should keep the bed dry. It hasn't really rained since I bought the truck.

http://www.swisscaps.cc/patriotlid_features_options.php

I couldn't find a link to see if they still make one for the Sport Trac, or a price.

Well, I was going to warn against tinting and having the wheels stick out until I saw you were from CT. No safety inspections in CT so you can get away with those things. Here in MA we can't.

I just purchase a used OEM cover for my ST and it looks great. I need a solid tonneau to protect my tools. There are three solid covers that I know of:
1: Stock bi-fold with locks keyed to match your truck
2: Undercover one piece fiberglass.
3: Advantage Hard Hat tri-fold solid cover.

I chose the OEM style because it was keyed to match the truck and I like the simple bi-fold design, it also was the cheapest solution! If you buy a used cover make sure you get the hardware for the cargo box!!! Most of the covers on CL in my area don't have hardware. The stock hardware will run you around $140 shipped, from an online Ford parts place.

Crutchfield is a good place to look for head units, they have a good selection and the know what fits in the ST. If a head unit requires a "modified fit" they clearly state that.

I've used Weathertech floor mats and clones of them in my cars and trucks for years. They really help if your boots are loaded with snow or mud.

Thank you for the advice! Yes we are pretty lucky here in CT with no inspections so I will go for the tint! Also I like the idea of the bi-fold cover! I will look more into that! I'm not really a fan of the one hard piece cover for the bed, kinda makes it tricky to use sometimes! I'll be on the lookout now for any CL find I can get! I'll also make sure the hardware comes with it!

I was browsing Crutchfield awhile back and they had some nice head units and door speakers but they didn't have anything for the AMP and sub which I was a little bummed on. Looks like I will have to do more research on that to see what Amps the sub is and the cubic feet of air for the box its in! No biggie, just means more digging!

I have my Weathertech mats already on the way :thumbsup:

Also I wanted to say that I will be a registered EMR in CT and will be working as a first responder for my town. So I'll get my blue light permit and be able to hook my ST up with some flashers! :smoke:

Well thank you again and I'll update this as I keep upgrading!

The '01 Sport Trac I bought last month has a Patriot by Swiss lid. Swiss is based in Patriot, Indiana. Nice quality lid that sits on top of the sides of the truck bed. Maybe 3" high. Looks like it should keep the bed dry. It hasn't really rained since I bought the truck.

http://www.swisscaps.cc/patriotlid_features_options.php

I couldn't find a link to see if they still make one for the Sport Trac, or a price.

Thanks for the link, not a bad cover but I think I want to go with the bi-fold or even the tri-fold route!

I always use search tempest to find stuff on CL, that's how I found my cover. I don't know where you are in CT so here's a search 125 miles around Hartford. The three covers in Boston have no hardware, I already checked them out. That's why I drove to NH. There's one or two in the Albany area. Your best bet is to find one that's still on a truck. Mine came off a wrecked ST.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search...0&category=8&subcat=pta&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Crutchfield is a great resource for searching and finding what will fit your truck, but holy carp are they expensive. I replaced all 4 speakers in my truck with some Pioneer 4 ways. Crutchfield wanted $99.99 a pair for them. I got them from Amazon for $41.99 a pair. Also ran into the same thing when replacing the speakers in my friends Civic Si.

I always use search tempest to find stuff on CL, that's how I found my cover. I don't know where you are in CT so here's a search 125 miles around Hartford. The three covers in Boston have no hardware, I already checked them out. That's why I drove to NH. There's one or two in the Albany area. Your best bet is to find one that's still on a truck. Mine came off a wrecked ST.

http://www.searchtempest.com/search...0&category=8&subcat=pta&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

Never heard of that search engine! Thank you for showing me that! I'll be sure to keep my eye out now!

Crutchfield is a great resource for searching and finding what will fit your truck, but holy carp are they expensive. I replaced all 4 speakers in my truck with some Pioneer 4 ways. Crutchfield wanted $99.99 a pair for them. I got them from Amazon for $41.99 a pair. Also ran into the same thing when replacing the speakers in my friends Civic Si.

Wow I knew they had some pretty high prices but I didn't know it was that bad! I think I'll stick with them when updating my head unit but do the amazon route or something else to save some money when it comes to the speakers! Thank you again for the input :D

Like I said, use them for research and then search on Amazon. I'll bet even their head units are expensive. Crutchfield tries to cover it up by giving you the installation accessories for free, but even buying that stuff on Amazon, it still ends up cheaper.

Like I said, use them for research and then search on Amazon. I'll bet even their head units are expensive. Crutchfield tries to cover it up by giving you the installation accessories for free, but even buying that stuff on Amazon, it still ends up cheaper.

The head unit I'm looking at (JVC Arsenal KD-AHD75BT) is $10 more at Amazon, they both include shipping, Crutchfield includes an install kit. I always search for the best deal but Crutchfield even beats ebay on this unit.

Sounds like just shopping around might save me some money! I used halfpriceaudio.com for some stuff. I'll make sure to shop around and post my findings when I go for audio. Right now I am doing floor mats and rims! :)

Thought I would update! Just got my plates from the DMV and have been cleaning up the truck a ton! I will see if my links go through on here! (Hopefully they do!) Also just ordered black floor tec mats, will be nice to get those in! Then hopefully painting the fenders soon (rather later).

81767-13.jpg

82559-12.jpg

82562-12.jpg

82561-12.jpg

More photos coming soon!

Since you just bought it, make sure you check the rocker panels. The plastic cladding tends to allow "stuff" to get stuck. One of the STs I checked had an 18" hole in the driver's side rocker panel. Luckily I put all the trucks I was considering up on a lift.

Since you just bought it, make sure you check the rocker panels. The plastic cladding tends to allow "stuff" to get stuck. One of the STs I checked had an 18" hole in the driver's side rocker panel. Luckily I put all the trucks I was considering up on a lift.
Oh wow I'll make sure to check that then! Any other areas? Also this whole truck has 0 rust anywhere minus the shocks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just stopping in to welcome a fellow silver Sport Trac owner. I'm sure you'll like it around here. :)

Back