My Silver 03 Sport Trac Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Silver 03 Sport Trac Build

10245353_10201687863143301_1107271859153381780_n.jpg

Nice Trac Greeby! Here's my end result after one can of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite, rinsed, dried, followed by a quick spray of Stoner's Trim Shine.

40LSOHC.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

10245353_10201687863143301_1107271859153381780_n.jpg

Nice Trac Greeby! Here's my end result after one can of Gunk Foamy Engine Brite, rinsed, dried, followed by a quick spray of Stoner's Trim Shine.

40LSOHC.jpg

What a change!!! I need to get some of that. The engine in my '01 looks like the top pic. The engine compartment in my '02 looks like the bottom.

Just stopping in to welcome a fellow silver Sport Trac owner. I'm sure you'll like it around here. :)
thank you! I already like it around here :) looking forward to sticking around and gettin some cool ideas!

What a change!!! I need to get some of that. The engine in my '01 looks like the top pic. The engine compartment in my '02 looks like the bottom.
sounds like we both have a clean up project ahead of us! :)

Surprised me too. ST engines are dust magnets. Use the engine cleaner on a warm engine and let it soak well.
Didn't cover anything, but avoided spraying anything close to the passenger headlight around the air intake box.

Just stopping in to welcome a fellow silver Sport Trac owner. I'm sure you'll like it around here. :)

Do we have a sub-forum group for us silver Sport Trac owners now?

Nice looking truck 2Greeby7! I don't think the stock wheels look crappy at all. My silver Trac had American Racing wheels with black spokes and polished aluminum around the edge when I bought it. They look great on the silver truck. Through the winter I ran the Ranger version of the wheels you have, and got to liking that look too. After I changed them back a couple of weeks ago I realized I didn't take any pics with the Ranger wheels. While the stock wheels look good in my opinion, custom wheels make the truck stand out from the crowd.

Floor mats may seem like a boring mod now before you get them, but you will see them every time you get in the truck.

Surprised me too. ST engines are dust magnets. Use the engine cleaner on a warm engine and let it soak well. Didn't cover anything, but avoided spraying anything close to the passenger headlight around the air intake box.
ok I'll make sure to do that!

Do we have a sub-forum group for us silver Sport Trac owners now? Nice looking truck 2Greeby7! I don't think the stock wheels look crappy at all. My silver Trac had American Racing wheels with black spokes and polished aluminum around the edge when I bought it. They look great on the silver truck. Through the winter I ran the Ranger version of the wheels you have, and got to liking that look too. After I changed them back a couple of weeks ago I realized I didn't take any pics with the Ranger wheels. While the stock wheels look good in my opinion, custom wheels make the truck stand out from the crowd. Floor mats may seem like a boring mod now before you get them, but you will see them every time you get in the truck.
I guess we should have our own section :) and yes I think rims will help set this apart from the crowd! I'm excited about the floor mats to be honest :) they will help keep things clean! I go to school in VT so I'm a bit concerned about rust when my trucks up here for the winter, do you think I should get it under coated??

Surprised me too. ST engines are dust magnets. Use the engine cleaner on a warm engine and let it soak well.
Didn't cover anything, but avoided spraying anything close to the passenger headlight around the air intake box.

My '02 engine is dusty now, but it's been at least a year and a half since it was cleaned, and it was fairly dry here most of last summer and it's missing the splash shields in the wheelwells.

Thanks for the tips!

Regular rubber mats slide around some. I have a pair of Husky Liners which I think are a cheaper design similar to Weather Tec. I haven't used them - picked them up at the salvage yard for $2.00 - but they fit the contours of the floor so well I don't think they can move. I assume the Weather Tecs are the same.

Hope you didn't order the Weathertech 44006 custom molded liners for 4 door Explorers. I tried them on my ST, and the fit wasn't close. The W11-W50 mats should be fine using the floor mat hooks that are attached to the rubber floor. If you're looking for custom floor liners, check out the Nifty 607543 Catch-All. Available in gray only, perfect for your ST's interior.

Regular rubber mats slide around some. I have a pair of Husky Liners which I think are a cheaper design similar to Weather Tec. I haven't used them - picked them up at the salvage yard for $2.00 - but they fit the contours of the floor so well I don't think they can move. I assume the Weather Tecs are the same.
Hope you didn't order the Weathertech 44006 custom molded liners for 4 door Explorers. I tried them on my ST, and the fit wasn't close. The W11-W50 mats should be fine using the floor mat hooks that are attached to the rubber floor. If you're looking for custom floor liners, check out the Nifty 607543 Catch-All. Available in gray only, perfect for your ST's interior.

Ok thank you for the advice let me look at the catch-all mats! Thank you for that tip!

I pulled the Husky liners from a 4 dr second gen Explorer. I put the driver's side in my truck to check the fit before my previous post. It fit fine. They are a light gray.

I pulled the Husky liners from a 4 dr second gen Explorer. I put the driver's side in my truck to check the fit before my previous post. It fit fine. They are a light gray.

Ok good to know, let me get back to you guys in the morning!

Now that's my kind of shopping! I picked up a pair of unknown weather tech type floor mats at my local recycling center (dump), in almost new condition two weeks before I got my truck. They were a little large so I trimmed them to fit. I made sure I cut holes for the floor mat retainers under the seat.

If they're cut right the retainers keep them in place very well.

Oh wow I'll make sure to check that then! Any other areas? Also this whole truck has 0 rust anywhere minus the shocks.

The most common issue on Explorers that I've run into is bad ball joints and hub bearings. Every ST I looked at had new ones or needed them. Since you don't have safety inspections in CT make sure you have a trusted mechanic look at your front end. The parts aren't expensive or hard to install, it's just the way it is with Explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that's my kind of shopping! I picked up a pair of unknown weather tech type floor mats at my local recycling center (dump), in almost new condition two weeks before I got my truck. They were a little large so I trimmed them to fit. I made sure I cut holes for the floor mat retainers under the seat. If they're cut right the retainers keep them in place very well.
The most common issue on Explorers that I've run into is bad ball joints and hub bearings. Every ST I looked at had new ones or needed them. Since you don't have safety inspections in CT make sure you have a trusted mechanic look at your front end. The parts aren't expensive or hard to install, it's just the way it is with Explorers.

Ok I will pull the truck up on a lift! Those parts really aren't hard to pick up! Hmmm ok I'm going to have to really look around at floor mats now! Guess it isn't such a straight forward process!

Back