OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBX Exhaust Header Manifold FITS 97 98 99 00 01 Explorer Mountaineer 5.0L V8

I think you mean 3/8-16, Ford V8 header bolts are 3/8 course thread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just went to Oreileys auto parts and they ordered me a set of factory gaskets. They were 10$ for a set of two. The header bolts I went to, and dare I say it, PEP BOYS.... And they have an entire section of bolts. The ones that fit are the
5/8 16 - 1 (ratchet size, thread size, length of bolt)

You didn't worry about the quality of the gaskets ? That would concern me with cheap oreileys gaskets VS felpro or something from Napa.I mean once you deal with such a hard install job i would want top quality gaskets so i dont have to go back in next year and do them again.

True at some point you get what you pay for. But these aren't racing engines let's be honest. I doubt you would blow a gasket on one of these trucks. Mr gasket has them for like 40-50 a pair I was quoted.. No thanks.
And yeah I meant 3/8th

Up to you, if you want to go all in then go for it
Once these things are one the truck and you've actually done the instal, putting gaskets on isn't a big deal just pull it back and remove and put the new one on.

I got my obx headers put on and I got a cheap gasket and it blew about 4 months later. I got me a nice aluminum felpro set now so we'll see how well that 40$ was spent

I got my obx headers put on and I got a cheap gasket and it blew about 4 months later. I got me a nice aluminum felpro set now so we'll see how well that 40$ was spent

Wise choice I think.

From reading all the pages on here, this is what I have gleaned about what I am going to do. I just ordered my set of headers and;

First = Get a Jet Hot ceramic coating and I don't see why it would be any different than the TM headers.

Second = Get good quality one piece gaskets! Whatever you think that brand might be.

Third = Get ARP bolts or good quality low and small head bolts.

Fourth = Upgrade my plug wires to the ceramic boot style since they will be in such tight and close proximity. And also wire loom connectors to keep my wires routed correctly and from burning on the pipes as well. Possibly some fiberglass sleeves for the wires at some tight and critical areas.

Does anybody else have any other suggestions to add or change? Thanks in advance!!

From reading all the pages on here, this is what I have gleaned about what I am going to do. I just ordered my set of headers and;

First = Get a Jet Hot ceramic coating and I don't see why it would be any different than the TM headers.

Second = Get good quality one piece gaskets! Whatever you think that brand might be.

Third = Get ARP bolts or good quality low and small head bolts.

Fourth = Upgrade my plug wires to the ceramic boot style since they will be in such tight and close proximity. And also wire loom connectors to keep my wires routed correctly and from burning on the pipes as well. Possibly some fiberglass sleeves for the wires at some tight and critical areas.

Does anybody else have any other suggestions to add or change? Thanks in advance!!

I gotta ask...How does one go about getting ceramic coating on headers ? Like do you go to a paint shop and ask them to do that ?

I gotta ask...How does one go about getting ceramic coating on headers ? Like do you go to a paint shop and ask them to do that ?

I am not sure of the the process either, but you could contact the company Jet Hot and ask!

http://www.jet-hot.com/

There are a myriad of colors to choose from as well as other options, you would have to contact them or there are other vendors that specifically do this as well. Just look up Jet Hot coatings for the area that you live in. Its NOT cheap though. However, I wouldn't think that the price of the headers combined with the coating would be any different than the TM headers either.

Cerakote is another option.
Couple places around here that do powder coating also do ceramic coating with Cerakote.

To be honest, Cerakote offers an air dry product that might work for the DIY. Just be aware you have one shot at it though. It should not be applied over a dried light area, you have to get it good the first coat. The surface should be media blasted also. Preferably with glass beads, but a good crushed garnet will work too. As long as you leave no dust behind. Scotch brite afterward and a final blow should leave a very clean surface. I think if you have a good air paint gun you should give it a go. Hit the tight spots first.

To get the "chrome" jet hot finish though , it will have to go to jet hot for sure.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

Could you give me the part number for this aluminum gasket set ?

To be honest, Cerakote offers an air dry product that might work for the DIY. Just be aware you have one shot at it though. It should not be applied over a dried light area, you have to get it good the first coat. The surface should be media blasted also. Preferably with glass beads, but a good crushed garnet will work too. As long as you leave no dust behind. Scotch brite afterward and a final blow should leave a very clean surface. I think if you have a good air paint gun you should give it a go. Hit the tight spots first.

To get the "chrome" jet hot finish though , it will have to go to jet hot for sure.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

Do you have any personal experience with this diy stuff? I may not use it on my pipes but there are some other things I might try it on.

Do you have any personal experience with this diy stuff? I may not use it on my pipes but there are some other things I might try it on.

I do not spray liquids in my shop, however several top quality shops I communicate with on other forums have great results with their products.

I have also found another product that might be beneficial as well. It is an internal exhaust coating from Eastwood.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Eastwood/352/13795Z/10002/-1

Depending on whether jet-hot coats the internals or even going the DIY route, you could add this to help with the headers heat.

On the bolts I recommend one of the locking bolts.

That what they can't loosen and back out.

It's such a PITA getting to the bolts to re-tighten them.

MT

Those of you have recently received them, do we have any concrete dyno numbers or mpg's yet?

Do not buy these headers. I have encountered many quality issues. The final one that has me completely frustrated is that the EGR tube included was built too short.

This is after I have taken the headers out twice to first bang all the tubes that interfered and made impossible to put bolts into the heads straight. The second time I had to grind down the flange since it did not have enough clearance to allow a socket to go around spark plug to tighten.

Do not buy these headers. I have encountered many quality issues. The final one that has me completely frustrated is that the EGR tube included was built too short.

This is after I have taken the headers out twice to first bang all the tubes that interfered and made impossible to put bolts into the heads straight. The second time I had to grind down the flange since it did not have enough clearance to allow a socket to go around spark plug to tighten.

The EGR tube is fine. You have to put it in the EGR valve first then on the header tube. It's very annoying to get an EGR tube to fit right. But once it's on it fits like a glove. It took me a long time to get it in there. I thought it's was too short as well. It's not...

I thought it's was too short as well. It's not...

Maybe the one you got was poorly made in terms of being crushed into a Z that you could adjust. Mine is flat wrong and already tried to put into vise and beat with a hammer. It is too short. That or they screwed up the location of the bung that is goes to. Or both at same time.

Fully extended, no where close....
http://i66.tinypic.com/dz9w1l.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone attempting this install should get a Ramflex header gaskets (included ones will leak, Ramflex have excellent crush and rebound), torch (bend EGR tube) & Ford Racing locking header bolts (why deal with leaks after 12 hour install) 1 1/16" crowfoot helps on EGR nuts (also 1" wrench for lower)

Use a Porsche PN gasket for the header on driver side #930.111.191.12 otherwise it will leak. The gaskets that come with the headers are throw away quality.

EDIT: Also need 2000* heat sleeves for the wires. I just had my #7 burn up and had to reroute it by #5 & #6 instead of behind the header. The wire burned up even with the heat sleeves so nothing can touch these guys or it cooks them internally.

Back