Strange noises inside dash/engine bay caused by wind? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange noises inside dash/engine bay caused by wind?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was driving my XLT today and noticed a strange sound coming from the dash area or engine bay. At around 45 MPH you can start to notice something sounding like paper being crumpled. As I got faster the noise gets louder and more frequent. Its obvious that the wind is playing a factor in this sound. Any thoughts?

I have the same problem with my 2020 XLT. Sounds like it's coming from inside the dash below the instrument cluster.

As others have described, relays chattering, HVAC actuator searching sounds that you would expect from a worn out vehicle, paper crumpling, sparking?, and it occurs intermittently at highway speeds (at least) between 40 and 70 MPH. Does not inspire confidence at all. Eventually, someone will figure it out and we get if fixed.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It sounds like your noise is 'speed' dependent. Have you checked to see if the cowl is loose? Noises can be difficult to track down and it could be coming from outside, especially if only occurs between 40-70 MPH.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It sounds like your noise is 'speed' dependent. Have you checked to see if the cowl is loose? Noises can be difficult to track down and it could be coming from outside, especially if only occurs between 40-70 MPH.

Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply and welcome.

Is the loose cowl something others have noticed?

-Brian

Hey Brian. It was somewhat of an issue on some of the 5th gen Explorers but not on the 2020. It is just something to eliminate from the poosibilities.

Peter

I have the same problem with my 2020 XLT. Sounds like it's coming from inside the dash below the instrument cluster.

As others have described, relays chattering, HVAC actuator searching sounds that you would expect from a worn out vehicle, paper crumpling, sparking?, and it occurs intermittently at highway speeds (at least) between 40 and 70 MPH. Does not inspire confidence at all. Eventually, someone will figure it out and we get if fixed.
I have a similar problem as well. Purchased on Saturday and noticed it driving home. For mine I have to be going 70 to hear it but it gets louder the faster I go. Obviously I'm very disappointed at the moment. Will be taking it in this week. Really sounds like it's in the steering column to me.

Welcome to the Forum Jason. :wave:
I was not able to hear the sound above the driving noise. If it seems to be 'speed depended' it could be the cowl. Have you checked to it to see if it is loose at all? The cowl was an issue on some of the 5th gen Explorers.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jason. :wave:
I was not able to hear the sound above the driving noise. If it seems to be 'speed depended' it could be the cowl. Have you checked to it to see if it is loose at all? The cowl was an issue on some of the 5th gen Explorers.

Peter

thanks I can look into that. Though I’m not sure what a cowl is. Ha.... also it’s weird the noise isn’t noticeable on that Youtube clip but the same video on my phone it’s very noticeable. Anyway thanks

thanks I can look into that. Though I’m not sure what a cowl is. Ha.... also it’s weird the noise isn’t noticeable on that Youtube clip but the same video on my phone it’s very noticeable. Anyway thanks
The cowl is that piece that runs along the outside bottom of the windshield. Between the hood and the windshield. :)

1591033229355.png

Peter

The cowl is that piece that runs along the outside bottom of the windshield. Between the hood and the windshield. :)

View attachment 316832

Peter
Yeah thanks I looked it up. It’s definitely different than that. It’s almost like a clicking noise. I’m annoyed it didn’t show up in the video! Appreciate your help regardless!

I have the same rattle. Sounds like paper or plastic flicking against something. Could also be a fluttering relay. Either way it’s annoying me immensely. Need to get it in and looked at.

I have the same rattle. Sounds like paper or plastic flicking against something. Could also be a fluttering relay. Either way it’s annoying me immensely. Need to get it in and looked at.
I am taking mine in tomorrow morning. I will update tomorrow what they say. Hoping for an easy fix!

I am taking mine in tomorrow morning. I will update tomorrow what they say. Hoping for an easy fix!
Not much of an update. They confirmed the noise but couldn’t find the source. We’re bringing it back when they can keep it for the whole day. Ugh

Not much of an update. They confirmed the noise but couldn’t find the source. We’re bringing it back when they can keep it for the whole day. Ugh

Jasondeg, I am surprised they were able to witness this problem. Were you with them on the test drive?

The next time it happens for me, I'm going to turn the temperature control panel off to see if that does anything. This thread gave me the idea,

Have any of you dropped the hard plastic shield that is on the underside of the steering column to insure that the large multi pin connector and cable underneath is secured ? Harmonics do some crazy things.

The next time it happens for me, I'm going to turn the temperature control panel off to see if that does anything. This thread gave me the idea,
Took the Explorer on the interstate today. The noise was still there but definitely a lot less noticeable. I’m at 800 miles today. We take it back to Ford tomorrow, but now I’m wondering if it’ll continue to resolve itself....

I did take apart the plastic under the steering column but I couldn’t find anything wrong under there.

I checked the bolts under the drivers side undercarriage that holds the felt panel on and found one toward the front that was loose. Just by tapping the panel I was able to make it vibrate. Tightened it up and the noise is now gone.

I checked the bolts under the drivers side undercarriage that holds the felt panel on and found one toward the front that was loose. Just by tapping the panel I was able to make it vibrate. Tightened it up and the noise is now gone.
Nice I’ll check that too. Service advisor called me and said the battery connector was loose 🤷🏼‍♂️ But they tightened it and the noise is gone supposedly. Going to pick it up now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It doesn't seem like the location of what you found would coincide with where the noise was coming from (near/behind instrument cluster) could you post a picture of where and what you did and clarify location better? Thanks.

Back