Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 27 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

Welcome to the Forum Corey. :)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

Did you get your truxxx kit installed? I am curious how it looks. Also do you think you could fit a larger tire with it? I know everyone here is going to say no but I am looking to stuff some 33's. :) Glad someone posted that suspension kit lift too. Probably going to look into that as well. I have 74k so I am sure my shocks/struts could be replaced.

Thanks,
-Corey
Here ya go, a before and after. I showed the lift job to the owner of Truxxx who I've become somewhat friends with now and he didn't like how low it still was in the front. Says it's due to the springs they used in this particular truck as Ford uses different kinda springs in some model Sports. He says this one obviously has the softer springs so he is fabbing me up a set of 1/8" plates to add in that will make up the difference. I would definitely go with the Truxxx brand because the product is solid, they use VERY simple directions that are easy to follow even if you have no idea what you're doing, and the customer service is absolutely phenomenal. They're always ready to help in any way they can.

As far as stuffing 33's in there...sorry bro and don't take this personal but you'd be stupid to. Especially if you plan on doing actual offroading. I added a third pic to show just how close these tires are to rubbing the front of the rear wheel well. Even if you mod that area, it's still cutting it extremely close. I'll never understand, other than for aesthetics, why people feel they need to cram as much rubber in there as they can. In reality, especially with SUV's and other vehicles with smaller wheel wells, more is not always better when offroading. In fact, sometimes you may even want to go about 1.25" smaller than factory because when offroading, you want that wheel and tire to have room to move around instead of constantly rubbing every bump. Just because that 33 fits while sitting in your driveway or going down smooth roads, doesn't mean it's going to be a good fit when on the bumpy trails.

Attachments

• Explorer Before.jpg
    Explorer Before.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Explorer After.jpg
    Explorer After.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 473
  • Explorer Wheel Weld.jpg
    Explorer Wheel Weld.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 454

New to the forum. Been researching this entire thread and others online - it's been a tremendous help as there's not much out there for 5th gens! I moved into a new home last year and quickly made friends with the neighbors. They're all into off-roading/overlanding, etc and got me hooked. Instead of picking up another vehicle and building out a proper rig, I decided to work with what I had...and that's the family car, lol! I have a 2016 Limited 4X4, lifted on a Truxxx 3" front 1.5" rear kit. I went with Method 306's (you'll need custom hub-centric rings made for proper fitment), 17x8.5 +0 on 265x65x17 ATs. Personally, I think they look great! One thing no one mentions after lifting their Explorers, you need to buy/install camber bolts to offset the positive camber you'll get after lifting it! If you don't, you'll eat up the outside of your front tires quick! I'm removing the front air damn asap, and ordered an engine guard/skid plate (for a Police Interceptor) - should be coming any day. I also may try removing the bottom half of the front bumper and having a shop build something custom for extra front clearance. I've been out many times on different trails, etc...this thing can handle almost anything (except rock gardens) - and climb as well (sand-mode works best). My buddies with KJs, Tacos, 4Runners are crazy-impressed at the family wagon and I get nothing but stares and compliments out there (guess they never seen a modded 5th gen). I might eventually pick up a 4Runner....but for now, I'm happy with the Explorer!

50751641352_d99975853b_n.jpg

Welcome to the Forum Ajay. :wave:
No picture.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Ajay. :wave:
No picture.

Peter
Thanks Peter!
I'm experiencing issues attaching photos. Appears hosting sites using https:// are not compatible?
Thanks,
AJ

Thanks Peter!
I'm experiencing issues attaching photos. Appears hosting sites using https:// are not compatible?
Thanks,
AJ
The picture is there now. I'm only familiar with posting pictures directly from my device but you require an Elite Explorer membership for that. There is an Insert Image icon next to the Smiley but I've never used it. You can also use a 3rd party hosting site and link to it.
As with most mods, you will get various opinions on them. What matters most is your own.

Peter

New to the forum. Been researching this entire thread and others online - it's been a tremendous help as there's not much out there for 5th gens! I moved into a new home last year and quickly made friends with the neighbors. They're all into off-roading/overlanding, etc and got me hooked. Instead of picking up another vehicle and building out a proper rig, I decided to work with what I had...and that's the family car, lol! I have a 2016 Limited 4X4, lifted on a Truxxx 3" front 1.5" rear kit. I went with Method 306's (you'll need custom hub-centric rings made for proper fitment), 17x8.5 +0 on 265x65x17 ATs. Personally, I think they look great! One thing no one mentions after lifting their Explorers, you need to buy/install camber bolts to offset the positive camber you'll get after lifting it! If you don't, you'll eat up the outside of your front tires quick! I'm removing the front air damn asap, and ordered an engine guard/skid plate (for a Police Interceptor) - should be coming any day. I also may try removing the bottom half of the front bumper and having a shop build something custom for extra front clearance. I've been out many times on different trails, etc...this thing can handle almost anything (except rock gardens) - and climb as well (sand-mode works best). My buddies with KJs, Tacos, 4Runners are crazy-impressed at the family wagon and I get nothing but stares and compliments out there (guess they never seen a modded 5th gen). I might eventually pick up a 4Runner....but for now, I'm happy with the Explorer!

View attachment 325900
pic
pic
pic
pic
pic
Awesome! This is what I have been looking for. I am also looking at some sort of front bumper. Was thinking maybe a modded f150 or ranger steel bumper? I want to be able to get a winch. I did look at front mount hitch but I think it will
Mount to low. I did not know PI have skid plates, good to know. I might try to fab up some rock rails/steps once I get the rest done as well.

Awesome! This is what I have been looking for. I am also looking at some sort of front bumper. Was thinking maybe a modded f150 or ranger steel bumper? I want to be able to get a winch. I did look at front mount hitch but I think it will
Mount to low. I did not know PI have skid plates, good to know. I might try to fab up some rock rails/steps once I get the rest done as well.
Great! Our front bumpers are actually 4 pieces (grille, top bumper cover, bottom bumper cover, and lower air dam). I recently saw another Explorer in the neighborhood missing the bottom half - so I was able to see what was behind it! Only thing exposed that looks funny is the windshield washer bottle (which I may paint black). I'll have a shop fab something to cover up the t.cooler, etc (with holes) and it'll look something like this. Also, I went with a Pro-Gard skid plate for a PI (I called to confirm it will fit a normal 5th gen) - check it out here! You should be able to fab/weld something to the main bumper support behind the top bumper cover to accommodate a winch. I'm not sure about sliders...don't know where you would weld it to - also, you'll lose ground clearance (which we need every single inch of). I'm also researching either a drop down or swing out tire carrier that connects to the tow hitch (to hold spare tire and other recover gear).

View attachment 325900
Looks great!
How close are the 17s to your calipers? And how bad are the front CV angles with the 3" lift?

Looks great!
How close are the 17s to your calipers? And how bad are the front CV angles with the 3" lift?
Thanks! 17’s fit perfect - and 3 inches is the most you can go imo due to the front cv angles being almost maxed out

Great! Our front bumpers are actually 4 pieces (grille, top bumper cover, bottom bumper cover, and lower air dam). I recently saw another Explorer in the neighborhood missing the bottom half - so I was able to see what was behind it! Only thing exposed that looks funny is the windshield washer bottle (which I may paint black). I'll have a shop fab something to cover up the t.cooler, etc (with holes) and it'll look something like this. Also, I went with a Pro-Gard skid plate for a PI (I called to confirm it will fit a normal 5th gen) - check it out here! You should be able to fab/weld something to the main bumper support behind the top bumper cover to accommodate a winch. I'm not sure about sliders...don't know where you would weld it to - also, you'll lose ground clearance (which we need every single inch of). I'm also researching either a drop down or swing out tire carrier that connects to the tow hitch (to hold spare tire and other recover gear).
There are plenty of hitch tire carriers. I have looked at them but I’m not prepared to pay $1000 for a tire carrier. I saw a guy take one of These and the buy something like This and put the 2 together. Actually someone is selling them that was Now. It swings down instead of to the side, so a bit of a pain but way cheaper than something like This.

There are plenty of hitch tire carriers. I have looked at them but I’m not prepared to pay $1000 for a tire carrier. I saw a guy take one of These and the buy something like This and put the 2 together. Actually someone is selling them that was Now. It swings down instead of to the side, so a bit of a pain but way cheaper than something like This.
I built my own hitch mount tire carrier that folds down to the side. Only spent about $150 in materials. A little difficult but stays out of the way. And with the lift and 275/65ar18s it’s the only affordable option for carrying a full size spare.

I built my own hitch mount tire carrier that folds down to the side. Only spent about $150 in materials. A little difficult but stays out of the way. And with the lift and 275/65ar18s it’s the only affordable option for carrying a full size spare.
Sweet. I bought the truxxx lift last week. It’s cold af here right now so I can’t install it. I was looking at tire and wheel packages, custom offsets sells 16” steel wheels that say they fit the explorer... not sure that’s true. I have a buddy with an older Jeep and I am going to test fit his tires on mine and see if they fit. I also found this on custom offsets... it’s listed as an explorer but I’m not sure that it is. Looks odd to me but he’s running 33” tires.

Sweet. I bought the truxxx lift last week. It’s cold af here right now so I can’t install it. I was looking at tire and wheel packages, custom offsets sells 16” steel wheels that say they fit the explorer... not sure that’s true. I have a buddy with an older Jeep and I am going to test fit his tires on mine and see if they fit. I also found this on custom offsets... it’s listed as an explorer but I’m not sure that it is. Looks odd to me but he’s running 33” tires.

Looked a little more and Everest is based off the ranger, not explorer. :(

Looked a little more and Everest is based off the ranger, not explorer. :(
The Ford Everest, according to an article I found, was not available in the US. It is available in Australia.
Also, I would go with 18 steelies. I'm sure that 16" would be too small. I used 17" Interceptor steel wheels for winter tires on my 2011 Limited but then Ford upgraded the brakes in 2013 and I had to go with 18" on my next vehicle (2014 MKT) because the 17" was too small.

Peter

Here ya go, a before and after. I showed the lift job to the owner of Truxxx who I've become somewhat friends with now and he didn't like how low it still was in the front. Says it's due to the springs they used in this particular truck as Ford uses different kinda springs in some model Sports. He says this one obviously has the softer springs so he is fabbing me up a set of 1/8" plates to add in that will make up the difference. I would definitely go with the Truxxx brand because the product is solid, they use VERY simple directions that are easy to follow even if you have no idea what you're doing, and the customer service is absolutely phenomenal. They're always ready to help in any way they can.

As far as stuffing 33's in there...sorry bro and don't take this personal but you'd be stupid to. Especially if you plan on doing actual offroading. I added a third pic to show just how close these tires are to rubbing the front of the rear wheel well. Even if you mod that area, it's still cutting it extremely close. I'll never understand, other than for aesthetics, why people feel they need to cram as much rubber in there as they can. In reality, especially with SUV's and other vehicles with smaller wheel wells, more is not always better when offroading. In fact, sometimes you may even want to go about 1.25" smaller than factory because when offroading, you want that wheel and tire to have room to move around instead of constantly rubbing every bump. Just because that 33 fits while sitting in your driveway or going down smooth roads, doesn't mean it's going to be a good fit when on the bumpy trails.
What size are and brand are those tires?

Looking at the picture, they seem to be 265/50R20. Also found his other post confirming they are Nitto Ridge Grappler.

Peter
Thanks, i'm getting a 2.5" Truxxx lift kit installed in a week or so, I'll run my tires until I need new ones. Those seem to fit on the 20" rims as is and look good. I've also seen that 2016 Ford Explorer Sport done up for SEMA that has ADV.1 Wheels ADV10R (20” x 11”) Tires: Toyo A/T II 305/50R20 tires that fit on the same lift. I'm guessing a tire that big and wide might look good parked but rub a bit.

So I reached out to Dobinson. They have the Front 2" springs/struts and their rear shocks are then made to also have 2" coil overs. On their website essentially you have to buy the front and back springs, struts, and shocks ($1150 ish). But that was from them today. I'm kind of interested, and as I'm going to have to replace my strut top mounts and look at a refresh of everything, I might pull the trigger and see where this goes...
Did you ever pull the trigger on this? I'd love to see a suspension lift on it. I'm about to reach out to them to have them ship it to me after I get the truxxx lift kit installed next week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever pull the trigger on this? I'd love to see a suspension lift on it. I'm about to reach out to them to have them ship it to me after I get the truxxx lift kit installed next week.
I’m not sure they will fit together since with the truxxx kit is doing the same thing, but if you are paying someone, you should get it all done together. I’m not against you trying, love to see the results. I have the truxxx 3” in my basement waiting for some warm weather. I wish they would have gone 3” front and back. I don’t care about leveling, I want ground/tire clearance.

Back