Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Headers Install Write-up and Review

Another wire went bad, this time cylinder 7. I got to work and quickly looked around for a sign of a wire problem, but didn't catch it laying on the header where I couldn't see it. I don't know how but it moved from where I had it routed yesterday. On the way home from work it stopped firing altogether on cylinder 7 and burned through the wire. Will replace it tomorrow and use a lot more zip ties, and hope that that's the last time I need to do this. Hopefully I didn't mess up anything else on the 30 mile drive home.

Checked for codes when I got home, and sure enough there were misfire codes on 7 and 8. Also a code for an IAT sensor, and oddly enough the 4x4 switch on my 2wd truck is bad? haha

Sorry everyone for posting too hastily earlier when I didn't thoroughly inspect for myself. You guys made some good points though that I will keep in mind. I will be more thorough if there are any other problems before posting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No worries, it helps to keep us sharp. Good luck with it. Especialy trying to track down the 4x4 switch problem, I hear that can be near impossible on a 2WD truck. lol

If you figure this out, please let us all know. Could save us all time and money without going though the trouble of the actual swap!

:D

BTW Matt, I hope that dent in the header wasn't too much of an issue with you. Like I said, the guy I bought them from took them off a motor that was in a mustang and (I guess) needed to "massage" them to get them to fit. Goofball s**t if you ask me, considering their is more header options for a Ford 302 than any motor ever made (that fit without issue) 3x cheaper than TMH's. Sometimes I-just-DK about people.

;)

-Nick

Didn't realize you had a different screen name. No the dent isn't a big deal at all. For the price compared to new, they're fine for me. I just hope I don't regret installing them, and they get better performance-wise and I can solve all my little issues. My truck doesn't seem to be noticeably faster at all, they don't sound all that great inside the truck (they sound good outside though), and I still get a little stumbling or hesitation feeling once in a while. But I'll be patient.

Haha, only way those are coming out of my truck is if you come and take them out.

Hey Matt. Do you have any custom tuning, or are you still stock? I had gasket and wire issues post install, but once those were sorted out, I noticed a big difference, especially on the bottom end.

I find 5.0 Explorers are tuned stock for soccer moms. A Henson tune really wakes up the truck as it is. I found post TMH performance MUCH better. I'm going on three years since the install at Turdle's and am still loving them.

No custom tune, just stock. The issue I have now is confusing to me. I've tried to narrow it down to exactly what the truck is doing when it happens, and I believe that it's when I am cruising in 3rd or 4th and I then step on it to moderately accelerate, the engine bogs down for a couple seconds and does the same misfiring hesitation feeling until I give it even more gas. The higher RPMs make it go away, but it's when I'm accelerating at speed at lower RPMs that it happens. From a stand still, it doesn't happen, and there's no misfiring any other time. I can't really say at what RPM it happens because my tach doesn't work.

Also, outside the truck the headers sound great. Inside, they have a ch-ch-chugging kind of sound much like a completely stock 5.0 and stock exhaust sound, and it's really loud. It's hard to explain it exactly. Today I'm going to retighten everything.

Just to clarify, I think I remember reading that with just headers, a tune isn't necessary, but with the phenolic spacer it is recommended? Is that true? That's why I didn't do the spacer initially, but I actually found someone giving one away the other day so it made me reconsider.

Matt,

A custom tune is always a welcome addition, even without mods. It's the tweaking of the shift points where you get the best performance, IMHO. I had mine done well before the headers and then James tweaked a bit after I got the headers. All I've got is an air intake setup and aftermarket exhaust.

You might be having issues with the small gasket at the junction of the two pieces on the driver's side. Been there, done that. Does it feel a bit sluggish when you get on it? Slight bog. Sounds similar to the issue I faced after the header install.

Brad

Matt,

A custom tune is always a welcome addition, even without mods. It's the tweaking of the shift points where you get the best performance, IMHO. I had mine done well before the headers and then James tweaked a bit after I got the headers. All I've got is an air intake setup and aftermarket exhaust.

You might be having issues with the small gasket at the junction of the two pieces on the driver's side. Been there, done that. Does it feel a bit sluggish when you get on it? Slight bog. Sounds similar to the issue I faced after the header install.

Brad

X2 on the custom tune

I need to PM James and find out how much a tune would run. Headers are where I wanted to stop with the performance mods on this truck, but plans always seem to change.

I tightened everything up today, I was surprised by how loose a couple of the bolts became over a week of driving. And I will contact Remflex and see if I can get a sample that I can use for a new gasket at that flanged piece. Or does Bob have gaskets for that?

I need to PM James and find out how much a tune would run. Headers are where I wanted to stop with the performance mods on this truck, but plans always seem to change.

I tightened everything up today, I was surprised by how loose a couple of the bolts became over a week of driving. And I will contact Remflex and see if I can get a sample that I can use for a new gasket at that flanged piece. Or does Bob have gaskets for that?

Yeah, aftermarket mods can be a slippery slope! Custom tunes make a big difference. I have 87, 89 and 91 tunes, all tweaked by James after I did some data logging after the headers went in. I also have a UI spacer that went in at same time as the headers. Not sure of the impact of that mod since it went in at same time as the TMH.

I thought Remflex would be the right choice, but mine only lasted about a year, if that. They're really soft and mine eventually broke.

Bob actually sent me a few extras of what he uses. They hold up well. I lost the first one because one of the bolts loosened. Then I went with Remflex and the challenge seems to get them in place before tightening them back up since they're thicker. I think it got damaged in that process.

I'm now using another one of Bob's, but not before tracing one on card stock so I have a template in case we need to cut another from gasket material down the road.

I only drove it for a few minutes last night this entire week. But it felt pretty good last night, didn't feel it bogging down as much as before. Maybe the computer is still "learning"? I'm still waiting for the huge improvement in performance though. And I'm not concerned about that code for the 4x4 switch...no dash light, no problem. I just thought it was funny.

But for all the frustration and pain so far, if I had to do it again, I probably still would. Next week I'll be driving to work (I carpool so we take turns), so I'll give an update.

And I feel like this thread has become a personal install thread, which I didn't mean for that to happen. It's someone else's turn to install headers.

I want a set so bad!

I just can't afford the money or time it will take to get them here.

I'm so jealous!

so keep on making it personal so I can read more for the future

Hi guys. I'm new to these forums, but have been reading them for a while. Thanks for all of the great information.

I have just ordered my Torque Monster headers for my 2000 AWD Mountaineer. In case anyone is wondering, the ownership of the company is apparently changing hands, but they will still be built at the same place. I found this out when I was having trouble ordering a set.

I just have a question or two for you experts here. I'm thinking of going ahead and upgrading my camshaft while I'm installing the headers. I'm not necessarily looking for my Mounty to be a racecar or anything. But more pickup is always great. What would you guys recommend?

I know they say the alphebet camshafts are outdated. But they have to be better than stock, right? Would a B cam with 1.7 lifters give me a noticable amount of output?

My current mods are:
MAC cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust with secondary cats removed
SCT programmer

So far, these few mods have seemed to make a good deal of difference. But now I've got the bug. So please help if you can.

Hi guys. I'm new to these forums, but have been reading them for a while. Thanks for all of the great information.

I have just ordered my Torque Monster headers for my 2000 AWD Mountaineer. In case anyone is wondering, the ownership of the company is apparently changing hands, but they will still be built at the same place. I found this out when I was having trouble ordering a set.

I just have a question or two for you experts here. I'm thinking of going ahead and upgrading my camshaft while I'm installing the headers. I'm not necessarily looking for my Mounty to be a racecar or anything. But more pickup is always great. What would you guys recommend?

I know they say the alphebet camshafts are outdated. But they have to be better than stock, right? Would a B cam with 1.7 lifters give me a noticable amount of output?

My current mods are:
MAC cold air intake
Magnaflow exhaust with secondary cats removed
SCT programmer

So far, these few mods have seemed to make a good deal of difference. But now I've got the bug. So please help if you can.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/fordcams.htm E-mail Flowtech Inductions and talk to Ed Curtis. He's a great guy, and has helped me in getting a cam specified for my truck. Tell him your needs and he may be able to help you out. Good luck :salute: :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another question for you guys...

I know a lot of you have put a 1" phenolic spacer on along with the headers, but what is the benefit of it? A longer EGR tube is required, right? I got a spacer from someone but am unsure if I want to use it.

Back