Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

go with a good winter tread. If you want better traction don't worry about making the tire shorter try to make it narrower. Even though a lot of people don't know or believe it a tall narrow tire will go a lot farther in snow or mud than a wide tire will!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rim diameter doesn't matter, just the overall diameter of the tire. Narrower is better than wider in snow but if it's me I just save the money I'd spend on another set of rims and buy better quality winter tires in the stock size.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best IMHO. We are on the second set of them on my wife's Taurus and it goes as good in snow as my 4wd Sport Trac and stops better. TireRack.com has owner reviews on most of the tires they sell.

Tire Rack recommends 17-inch with 18 as an option. 17-inch is the cheapest approach since the tires cost less. I went with 18-inch because I got a great deal on a set of take-off wheels from an XLT.

I have a 2012 LTD and plan on getting winter tires this year. Right now I have 20 inch tires. If I want to downsize the winter tires how low should I go? I was thinking 18 inch but I have seen people on here talking about 17 inch as well.
I use the 17" steel wheels from the Base model Explorer along with 245/65R17 Winter tires to replace my 20" wheels and have had no problems at all.
Be advised that if you want to use the base model wheel covers, you will need to buy new wheel nuts since the ones used for the OEM wheels will not hold the covers on. They will however hold the wheel on without the covers. The wheel cover itself does not snap on but is held in place by the wheel nuts which have a washer type flange build in to hold the cover on. See picture below.

Peter

Attachments

• PB050253a.jpg
    PB050253a.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 3,717

Is there any potential issues with not getting the TPMS? I'm debating whether then extra $280+tax is really worth it.

The only potential issue is there will be a flashing light on my dash and an occasional chime?

Would the Explorer automatically recognize the TPMS from my stock tires when I put them back on in the summer?

Anyone here running winter tires without the TPMS?

I didn't get the TPMS sensors on my winter wheels last year. The large warning light will come on in the left pane with a little chime. You click the left OK button and it goes away leaving just a little warning symbol. The thing I noticed is that it would come on inconsistently. Often I'd be driving 15 minutes before it came on. Then it would return 2 hours later while driving. I think when leaving the house, the car could sense the TPMS from the tires stored 15' away.

My Explorer recognized the TPMS from the stock tires right away. I have not had any warnings since April.

If you do use TPMS on the winter tires you will have to program them and the stock tires every time you change.

The only issue you may encounter with the light on is if your state includes it when doing inspections. Only 4 states require the TPMS sensors to pass inspection - VT, RI, NY, HI.

Explorer Sport - winter tires

I know I'm getting on this early, but are there any winter tires for the Explorer Sport? Any limitations given the larger brake discs (ie. is 20" tires essentially the only option)?

......If you do use TPMS on the winter tires you will have to program them and the stock tires every time you change.

The only issue you may encounter with the light on is if your state includes it when doing inspections. Only 4 states require the TPMS sensors to pass inspection - VT, RI, NY, HI.
I think the need to reprogram every time is a built in 'money grab'. I believe some Lexus models have the capacity to hold 9 serial numbers, which includes the spare. This way you can enter the numbers for both the OEM and Winter tires without the need to reprogram every time.
Since KanetwZ is from Northern Ontario, I don't think the inspection issue would be a problem. ;) From what I've read, TPMS is only required to be installed in the OEM wheels. Aftermarket ones do not, although I did put them in mine.

Peter

I know I'm getting on this early, but are there any winter tires for the Explorer Sport? Any limitations given the larger brake discs (ie. is 20" tires essentially the only option)?
Are you asking about tires or wheels? Are the brake discs on the Sport larger than the Limited with the 20" wheels?
www.1010tires.com is a Canadian site and they list only 4 Winter tires in the 255/50R20 size for the Sport. Once you see the price of them you will know why I put the base Explorer 17" wheels/tires on in place of my 20" for Winter driving.
When I checked into this last year, I found that the brake discs were the same for the 2011 Base, XLT and Limited models.

Peter

The brake discs on the Sport are larger. However, Tire Rack lists winter wheel options for the Sport down to 17-inch. As Peter said, the 20-inch winter tires are very expensive so it is worth downsizing to 17 or 18. I went with 18 because of a deal that I got on the wheels. They are sitting in the garage because neither the Sport nor winter has arrived so I can't tell you how much clearance there is. I recommend talking with a reliable source before going down to 17 until someone here actually does it.

Are you asking about tires or wheels? Are the brake discs on the Sport larger than the Limited with the 20" wheels?
www.1010tires.com is a Canadian site and they list only 4 Winter tires in the 255/50R20 size for the Sport. Once you see the price of them you will know why I put the base Explorer 17" wheels/tires on in place of my 20" for Winter driving.
When I checked into this last year, I found that the brake discs were the same for the 2011 Base, XLT and Limited models.

Peter
With the Sport, the brakes (the front discs in particular) are a bit larger according to some reviews although I've not been able to get specifics. Thus, if smaller wheels cannot fit, then I assume the 20's are the only option (I'll follow up with the dealer as well). The other aspect is that the 20's rims are wider by a half-inch. If you're going for smaller diameter wheels, did you increase the profile of the tires to get the same rolling circumference or do you live with the inaccurate speedometer readings? I'll have a look at the website you posted. Thanks!

Not sure about fitment for the Sport but on my Limited, I have had 245/70/17 on new 17" wheels with tire pressure monitors installed, BFG Slaloms all balanced, mounted and installed for approx $250 less than 4 255/50/20 winter tires

From Popular Mechanics review: The front brakes are more than an inch larger on the Sport, providing a 53 percent increase in thermal mass and a 20 percent improvement in brake fade, Ford says.

I should have clarified that I am going to get winter rims as well...was just wondering what size of tires to get...
I have a quote for 245 60 R18 but was wondering if 17 would work to save some $.

you could find some oem wheels at a salvage yard and pay way less for the wheels then put some nice tires on them.

I should have clarified that I am going to get winter rims as well...was just wondering what size of tires to get...
I have a quote for 245 60 R18 but was wondering if 17 would work to save some $.

I put 17" wheels/tires on my Limited (down in size from the stock 20" ones). You save a ton of money on 17's vs the 20's. I purchased the wheels and tires (Blizzaks) from Tirerack.com.....Just go on their site and it will be able to advise you what sizes you require...

I think I answered your questions in my previous post. I put 17" rims on my Limited with a 245/65R17 tire. If you wish to go with a 245/60R18 then you will have to get an 18" wheel (rim). If you want to save $, then go with the 17" setup like I did.
I went with the Base Explorer rims so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting the proper wheel in regards to offset, center bore, bolt pattern etc. If buying a non Ford rim, make sure it has the correct specs for the Explorer.
If you plan to order them online, I would suggest looking at www.1010tires.com which is a Canadian company so there will be no duty or import fees to pay. It also has a feature under Tire & Wheel Tech that allows you to compare different sizes to the OEM to see if they will fit.
Your Ford dealer also states they won't be undersold on tires. I was able to get my BFGoodrich Winter Slalom KSI tires for $169.45 each from my Ford dealer. Canadian Tire has them for $226.99.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for all of the useful info. I will do some investigating today & get them ordered before the weather takes a turn for the worse and all hell breaks loose tomorrow.

If you plan to order them online, I would suggest looking at www.1010tires.com which is a Canadian company so there will be no duty or import fees to pay.

I checked both 1010tires and tirerack prior to making my purchase and even with having to pay the duty and brokerage, I still saved over $200.00 buying from tirerack (wheels and tires)....they have awesome customer service as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I checked both 1010tires and tirerack prior to making my purchase and even with having to pay the duty and brokerage, I still saved over $200.00 buying from tirerack (wheels and tires)....they have awesome customer service as well.
Thanks, that is good to know. I bought my 17" wheels and tires through my Ford dealer and it cost me $1077 plus HST. I'm satisfied with that. The BFG tires I got were less expensive than 1010tires and tirerack doesn't carry them. I have an appointment to get them put back on the Ex at the end of the month. Hopefully I won't really need them for a while but to retain my insurance premium discount I have to have them on from November to March. :)
I don't know if Ford's "We will not be undersold on tires" policy applies to tirerack prices or not. I'll try to remember to ask when I take the Ex in.

Peter

Back