94 xlt project | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 xlt project

Just started working on getting my 94 Explorer off-road ready, so I'll be visiting the site a lot for questions and opinions.

So far I'm on 31x10.5/15 Goodyear Wrangler Authorities and Pro Comp wheels. The tires hum when you get up to speed but it don't bother me none. They do rub when making a sharp turn, but a little trimming should fix that. Soon to come is a 4" lift and maybe 33s. In the meantime I'm gonna run a 2" lift with shackles and coil spacers. I'm hoping to get a flowmaster and some fog lights when I can. Also my KKM intake should arrive tomorrow.
Plenty more to be done, but I think I'm off to a good start.

2lc1iye.jpg

23jiwzq.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added a steering stabilizer. Skyjacker 9000 with rancho brackets

10fz8gg.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Honestly I would say that 4.56's and 31's is WAY mismatched. If you are dead set on the 4.56 gears, get some 33's at least. Before you question the need for more lift with the 33's, I run 33's on my 94 every once in a while when I need to have my big tire fix. I have coil spacers in the front, and self-made shackles in the rear giving me roughly 2 inches of lift. I did have to trim just a small portion of the front fender, and about .5-.75" off each end of the front bumper, but I don't miss either. I run 3.73 gears, and in low range off road, I have never had a problem. I also have had it flexed out to the point of rubbing the rear tire on the body tub, so I can tell you with exact certainty that 2" is enough to run, flex, and stuff 33's. Running the highway in the NC mountains, I wish it had 4.10's, but honestly that is all I want in it considering it spends 85-95% of its time on the pavement.

I started with 3.27's, ran 31x10.50x15's on and off road, and hated it. Switched to 3.73 gears and rear factory limited, love it with 31x10.50x15's. Does great on the street, runs down the highway fine, and my speedometer is back where it should be unlike with stock gears and 31's. I also added the 2 inches of lift about the same time as the gear swap. About 8-10 months later, I got my first set of 33's. It does alright on the road, but I have a manual and can shift when I want to get it up to speed without lugging it too bad. I have driven it off-road behind jeeps with more lift, more flex, and bigger tires, and my EX does all I want it to do. Low range helps out a lot off road. Like everyone else has said, I do wish that I had a true locker instead of just the L/S for when I am off-road. With 4.10 gears, and a true locker, I would be fine and dandy.....until I found a good deal on a set of 35's, then id want more gear.

I tow a lot. I have plans to run 33s and I don't want to regret going with 4.10s later on. With 4.56s/31s/32s the only downfall I see is high rpms at highway speeds.

The daily driver/weekend toy makes for a solid work truck too.

epjcja.jpg

Gonna attempt to stuff 33x10.50s on stock rims with a two inch lift. A two inch body lift should put me in the clear.

vxhse8.jpg

Gonna attempt to stuff 33x10.50s on stock rims with a two inch lift. A two inch body lift should put me in the clear.

vxhse8.jpg

Nice looking tires ! .

Thanks! Finally found a decent set of 33x10.5 bfg's

33's with a 2" lift. Only rubbed once while making a u-turn on my test drive. Picked up some old school explorer rims to mount them on. These tires don't seem to dog my motor nearly as much as my 31's on steelies did. Keep in mind I still have 3.27 gears in this.

ws2r6h.jpg

The rear wont need any trimming, but it you wheel it you will need to trim a tad off of the back of the front wheel opening. At full stuff while turning it will more than likely rub, but not nearly as bad as my 33x12.5's did.

I took it through a trail full of potholes and whoopdedoos tonight. I let my girlfriend drive and she hit them pretty hard, had to tell her to calm down. The tires still didn't rub any but that was on a straight path. I use it mostly on the beach where you don't really need room to flex. I still want to lift it about 2 more inches at least. Fender trimming is a last resort. I like the untouched stock look.

Glad to hear 33X10.50s fit. I think that will be my next size if I wear the 32s out. I agree on the unaltered look and I really like the sawblade wheels. :)

I'm finally ready to swap in an 8.8 with disk brakes and 4.10 gears. When I got the axle I also took the brake lines, abs sensor and master cylinder. I read that I'd need different brake lines and a master cylinder out of whatever model I took the axle from. Am I ready to drive after swapping the MC, brake lines, bolting up the new axle, and bleeding the brakes?

Obviously I can't use 4x4 until the front gears are installed. I might take off the front driveshaft in the meantime.

2vcccna.jpg

My mud terrains had side wall bubbles and cracks that had me worried, so I invested in some new rubber today. I downsized, but I like how she sits now. The cool part is that I bartered enough tires in the past few months to pay for a whole new set. My 8.8 swap will happen within the next week or so.

30be684.jpg

It's hard to see but I was stoked that I got put next to a clean BII at Sears :thumbsup:

2gxjygo.jpg

Installed manual Mile Marker hubs tonight. They've never been used and only costed me $40. The guy I bought them from even threw in a spindle nut socket for free. The conversion kit (pn#28068X) costed me $12.99 per side.

psvu1.jpg

Is it possible to pull the diff from a d35 with 4.10s and bolt it up instead of acually re-gearing the front diff? or will that throw anything off?

Is it possible to pull the diff from a d35 with 4.10s and bolt it up instead of acually re-gearing the front diff? or will that throw anything off?

As long as its from a ttb it should be the same , but I would not throw in a 4:10 front without changing the rear , it could cause some issues .

Yes you can do that with no problem. Sounds like another trip to the boneyard is in order :D Might as well take the passenger side axle shaft as a spare if you plan on any hard 'wheelin.:thumbsup:

Awesome. I'm on winter break and I finally have a chance to do the gear swap. Is it ok to temporarily drive with 4.10s in the rear and 3.27s up front, as long as I don't engage 4x4?

Back