project green meanie | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

project green meanie

hi all!

i just picked up some uni-mog 404 diffs that i am putting in my 94 explorer..
i am using 16"air shocks in the front with either a 3 link or a one link :eek:
the rear i am up in the air with..it is definatly getting linked,but i am trying to do it without moving the gas tank..
it is auto,and obviously that scares me..i was thinking of going with the c-4/5 combo...what transfer cases were offered behind those trannys?i would like to have a doubler made,buy it might not be nessasary because the diffs are geared 7.54!but i was thinking that i might need the length of a doubler to make the super long mog pinion work.i am planning on pushing the front end way forward...
i will run the unimog 20" rims with 39.5 iroks...and i want to try out tractor tires in the winter,i think they will rock in our sloppy forrest trails here on vancouver island...
how far back will i have to move the rear diff to clear 39.5's with good articulation?
i am willing to chop the rear wheel wells strait out the back if nessasary..
the top will be choped behind the rear doors,and i am going to try to graft the upper half of the hatch back on there...think it will work?
exo cage also..
as soon as i get my camera working again i will get some shots of what i'm working with...
thats it for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek: :eek: AWESOME PROJECT :eek: :eek:

Can't wait to see more progress!!! hhhhhmmmmm unimog / portal axles... are they full width, do you have to cut them down, etc. etc. Good luck.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hell yeah those things rock.

i saw a page that sold them for what appeared to be cheap. i mean i dunno, i dont price these things out haha

used 404 portal axle for the rear was $750

used 404 portal axle with steering was $1100

Can't wait to see the progress. I'm drooling over here :D

Can't wait. An Ex on 'mog axles is going to be killer :D

subscribing for Pics and ideas :D

anymore pics just email them and ill host them, Maybe send me a PM on here letting me know as i sometimes forget to check or overlook emails.....

Cant wait to see....

Wow, unimog axles, where do you find those?

thanks guys!
the diffs are from terra-don industries..
i got the qoute back for the dom i was gonna use for my bottom links,2"x1/2"xfull stick,$500 canadian!!harsh!
so that plan is out,now looking for some similar sized pipe!lol!

well,i thought i would give a bit of an update.
i sent some pics to explorer kid,so if you post them,i thank you! :)
i have most of the rear suspention done now,jst need to do some gusseting,and finish the trac-bar.i settled on a one link for the rear,the bags seem to be working out good.
my 2.5" fox air shox's for the front came in now,and so did the front diff i've been waiting months for.i have decided that a homebuilt radius arm setup is going to work best in the front.
i am thinking of only building one radius arm as such,and just having a single lower strait link on the other side.it should be just like a wristed radius without its pin in.this is a trail only rig,so i think it will be fine,what do you think?
i am having a hell of a time finding a c-5 around here,i also am having trouble finding a manual shift 1354.

sounds excellent so far! :D
Come on XKid, get those pics up! LOL

I found my C4/manual 1354 on ebay, and the seller just happened to be like 45 min away, so I didn't have to worry about shipping.

That's cool, but isn't that alot of weight for the 4.0 to push around? I would love to see it done with a 351 and mogs.....

About finding a c5, are you looking for the whole transmission or just the bellhousing? I might be able to help.

i was thinking a whole tranny,cause i don't really want to run a dana 20.
do you have one?
and as far as the 4.0 not being enough.i have no idea really,as i am pretty unfamiliar with these motors,but seeing as the diffs are geared at 7.56:1,i think that will help alot.

I have C5 tranny less bellhousing,converter and transfer case....would this help? It would have to be overhauled. Over 200,000 on it. The c5 is the same length as a c4, the c5 has a pronounced hump on the pan were a c4 is flat. Just making sure were on the same wave length. This tranny came out of an 84 Bronco 11.

green meanie, that sounds like a freakin sick project! cant wait to see the results! where abouts on the island do you live? when i get my X finally lifted we should wheel!!!(i live on the mainland, about 45min east of vancouver lots of fun trails here) hope these guys dont mind..., but check out www.funinbc.com they usually have lots of wicked trips!

also, go to www.photobucket.com , free picture hosting and its really user friendly, even I know how to use it :p

thanks for the offer on the tranny,but it is the bell housing and converter that i need the most!
badash,i live in victoria.i have wheeled some of the trails in your area,6 feet under and stuff,so maybe we can hook up..

suscribing for pics and ideas...green meanie this sounds like an awosme project..cant wait ot see the pics of it completed

could someone post some pics for me if i send them to you?
slowly getting more done,the rear is about ready to hold it's own weight,just need a third member from the guy i got the diffs off of.
i finally have the front diff,so i can get that cleaned up and get to work on the front.

Back