Section525 Fab - IZWack's D44 diff cover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 Fab - IZWack's D44 diff cover

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
I've wanted to get a fabricated diff cover for a while now. The BTF one has a hefty price tag so after seeing jasonb make his own from scratch, I decided to give it a try. However, I don't have access to a CNC plasma (unless I go back to my hometown) so I decided to by the laser cut ring. I picked up the diff ring from my local 4x4 shop for $25. :cool:

I went with 3/8" plate since I have a bunch in the garage.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 505
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 519
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 517

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll smooth the outside of it tomorrow and paint it up special for IZWack. :cool: :D :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 487
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 503
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 500

It's a pretty fun little beginner project. Unless you have the ability to make precise cuts, you'll have to do a lot of trial and error to get the pieces to fit.

I'm getting more and more tempted to pick up a Spectrum 375 because I went through an ass load of cut off disks! :(

Very cool man, looks great! I didn't know you could by just the ring, i'll have to look into that.

BTW, that second picture of your second post looks a little scary, is that a paint can to the left of your welding area??? :eek:

Hwwwwow :D

Cool. Two things though. Where is the fill plug hole? Also it seems kind of tall I hope it will clear the steering. I know what you mean on the cutting wheels. On my bumper and skid plate I have gone through about 25 wheels. I am also thinking plasma cutter here pretty soon.

Nice work:chug: That thing's huge!

holy oil capacity!!

Nicely done as per usual

Yeah cant wait to put it on :D

I'm a little worried about the steering tho but we'll see (I'm running SkyManufacturing hi-steerm arms if that makes any difference).

I'm running the Sky high-steers too. I'll check it out. I think this is about the size of some other pre-baked units. I went off some DIY plans from offroadfab.net. :cool:

For the fill hole.. I'm picking up these sick ass plugs used on hydraulic cylinders and such, with high-pressure o-rings, and it'll be a super over-kill. :cool:

EDIT: And that's not paint. It's a gas can. You have to keep the welding interesting somehow. :p

offroadfab.net ?? are you sure you have the right URL? i went to it and got some weird undeveloped site

ahh I see, thanks

cool!

im curious too if it clears the steering...

Looks good anyways, I guess you can push the rocks out of the way if you can go over them :p

Next time your welding with the gas can right there, get the webcam running. :D

section525 said:
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/

Brian1 from this site is a big-time player over there. :cool:

LOL. It is definately a cool site to get ideas and ask questions about fabricating. It is still small now but keeps growing everyday.

Diff cover looks good, I have always wanted to make one like that myself. It does look big but I dont think you will have a problem if you run the tie-rod above the axle.

Very Cool :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll be done tonight. :cool:

This first pic was taken a couple weeks ago actually. I was making sure it would work with high-steer. Second pic is the hole for the fill plug. :cool:

A little bit more clean-up and it will be done.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 333
  • 08.jpg
    08.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 305

Back