FRAM filters---bad investment | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FRAM filters---bad investment

well not smoothly now...it clatters nicely. but hopefully tomorrow it will be

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i feel that way now

bad filter

I once used afram filter in a 6 cylinder chevy straight six. after I changed the oil and filter the lifters were clacking like crazy. couldn't figure it out. so I change the oil filter again. the noise stopped. that was the last fram filter I ever used. good luck, I now use napa gold and never had problem.

I drove about 50 miles with 0 oil pressure this last summer...after the weekend from hell...I got home, bought another Explorer (well...Navajo) for $250 and swapped the motor out. I wasn't going to even try to fix the motor. I have the block on my engine stand now. I am going to pull the main, and rod caps and see how bad they are. If they are good, I can only assume the cam is good to, and I'll put it all back together and put the Navajo together...

Ryan

what caused your drop in pressure? loss of oil? or something else?

What about your truck? Have you tried to start the engine yet?

i have had finals this week....i will be going out later to try

its very unlikely you're top end was damaged from the lack of oiling, it was just noisy because the lifters weren't pumping up with oil (rockers clattering). it's the main and rod bearings which go out first when oil is lost. good news is they're not expensive, bad is that they're a pain to replace. but hopefully it's all well still, good luck.

This is new to me. I have never had an issue with a FRAM filter. OP are you sure the last filter wasn't cross-threaded? It would explain what a b!tch it was to remove and the improper seal. The next filter would be inclined to follow the cross-thread. Not trying to start an argument just don't want to see you leak oil again.

well. it wasnt crossthreaded. just two gaskets. i was in such a hurry i made such an idiot mistake. after hours of pounding and prying i finally got that sob fram off. i filled it back up, and once it build pressure again it was good as new. well for now anyways.

Back