Tin Roof Rain noise. | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Fix for Rain Noise

My dealer just emailed and said there is a service action for the rain noise problem TSB 12-02-06 for Tin Roof Noise - Front Area during rain. Sound like the fix we've been waiting for??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My dealer just emailed and said there is a service action for the rain noise problem TSB 12-02-06 for Tin Roof Noise - Front Area during rain. Sound like the fix we've been waiting for??
This TSB came out early February and is listed in the RSB sticky on the main page. Mello944 has kindly provided the link.
Also as a member posted, it is best to leave your windows down for a while after getting this done to air out the interior smell.

Peter

Good to see they got a fix. Give them enough time and some ideas and they will a fix. I read the TSB and it about the same process I had done to my X last year. Works great, no more drummer boy when it rains.

But the question is "Will the dealer service manager tell you he needs to hear it before he can fix it?"

I have noticed Ford has been working very hard :) to fix the issues on the 2011 and 2012, but it seems their dealers :( are giving that same scapegoat answer "They must be able to duplicate the problem before they can fix it."

How hard must it rain, how loud must the brake noise be, how loud does the A-pillars noise have to be, how many times does the MFT system have an intermittent problems, How many times must you explain what the problem is and how to fix it, etc

If I take my vehicle in for a repair that has a TSB to fix it, these should be the words from the Service manager lips:
" I will have your vehicle repaired in a timely manner and if parts are required, I will let you drive your vehicle home and notify you when the parts arrive. If we need to keep your vehicle overnight we will provide you a loaner until yours is fixed."

Keep Up the great work :thumbsup: Ford and I want to thank the customer service individuals on this site who has listened and supported us.

well, when i had my tin roof tsb done...i just tapped on the roof portion and let him hear it that way. and just mentioned that it sounds worse when it rains....

I recently had the "phantom wipe" TSB repair done. The dealer did not say they had to witness it. They had said this with the A-pillar problem, but it was bad enough for them to easily hear. The second time they fixed the A-pillar, they did not have to confirm it.

Have mine in today for this issue. Dealer is aware of the issue, but said Ford had the wrong part number on the TSB. He also said they have another Expolorer waiting on the repair, and didn't know if they would be able to do them. They are supposed to be waiting on word back from Ford.

Looking at my repair status online it shows as done. Under correction is says NPF. Not sure what that means, but have a feeling it was not fixed. Probably means No Problem Found.

I recently had the "phantom wipe" TSB repair done. The dealer did not say they had to witness it. They had said this with the A-pillar problem, but it was bad enough for them to easily hear. The second time they fixed the A-pillar, they did not have to confirm it.
I had the 'wipe' TSB done the beginning of January and everything was fine until I had the MFT update performed. Had the 'wipe' occur twice that day.

Peter

Rain Noise TSB

Well just wanted to let you folks know.

I had my 2011 EX in for a host of TSB work.

One being the Rain Noise.

They did install the "Fusor" epoxy to correct my rain noise problem but in doing so they also got it all over the headliner and did not tell me.

This was permanent and they are now replacing the headliner.

I still don't have it back so I am holding my breath as to how many rattles or lose panels I will end up with.

Just look at how many parts need to come off to replace a headliner.

I suggest anyone getting this done better check under the sun visors for "leftover" epoxy.

Will post back to let everyone know how this works out.

On a positive note... The dealer is taking care of this without any arguing.

They did install the "Fusor" epoxy to correct my rain noise problem but in doing so they also got it all over the headliner and did not tell me.

I still don't have it back so I am holding my breath as to how many rattles or lose panels I will end up with.

I suggest anyone getting this done better check under the sun visors for "leftover" epoxy.

Welcome to the Forum Rodomontade.:wavey:
I wonder if they have to do the TSB again once the headliner is replaced.
I hope to get the TSB done later this month when I take the Ex in for an oil change. When I was in for the MFT upgrade, one of the service advisors printed the 'Rain noise' TSB off and showed it to the parts manager to see if anything had to be ordered. The parts guy said it could be picked up at the hardware store. I think I'll talk to them again.

Peter

I had this done, however, the area above my windshield still "pings" when you tap it. Is it the same with yours? I wonder if they did it right. They were very explicit to note that Ford says it will reduce, and not eliminate the noise.

I wonder if they have to do the TSB again once the headliner is replaced.

Peter

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to redo the TSB repair, as the target of the foam is behind the metal, which is behind the headliner.

I had this done, however, the area above my windshield still "pings" when you tap it. Is it the same with yours? I wonder if they did it right. They were very explicit to note that Ford says it will reduce, and not eliminate the noise.

I've heard that the metal will still give a ping-ish noise when tapped, but that the TSB quiets the rain ping. I'm guessing that as long as you don't drive around with someone tapping on your roof, you should be okay :)

I'm guessing that as long as you don't drive around with someone tapping on your roof, you should be okay :)

Damn it, now what am I going to do when the Zombie Apocalypse comes and they are jumping on the roof of my car trying to get in. You mean I'm going to have to listen to that tapping noise???? DAMN IT FORD!!!!!

Think this qualifies me to return my Ex under my states LEMON LAW!?!?! ;)

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to redo the TSB repair, as the target of the foam is behind the metal, which is behind the headliner.

I've heard that the metal will still give a ping-ish noise when tapped, but that the TSB quiets the rain ping. I'm guessing that as long as you don't drive around with someone tapping on your roof, you should be okay :)

Well got it back today with the new headliner. They actually did a great job!

To answer a couple quetions above:

They did not need to redo the TSB. The "Fusor" is between the roof and the inner metal. None of the epoxy is "normally" in contact with the back side of the headliner.

As luck would have it... I was raining pretty hard on my way home from the dealer and the noise is greatly diminished. Not perfect (I don't expect perfect results) but much better than before.

Dealer did a great job handling this situation.

Damn it, now what am I going to do when the Zombie Apocalypse comes and they are jumping on the roof of my car trying to get in. You mean I'm going to have to listen to that tapping noise???? DAMN IT FORD!!!!!

Think this qualifies me to return my Ex under my states LEMON LAW!?!?! ;)

Lemon law or Demon law?

Well got it back today with the new headliner. They actually did a great job!

As luck would have it... I was raining pretty hard on my way home from the dealer and the noise is greatly diminished. Not perfect (I don't expect perfect results) but much better than before.

Dealer did a great job handling this situation.

Sweet! Glad to hear it's fixed, and more importantly that you are happy with the results, and ended up with a good dealer experience in the end :)

We have only had a light rain once since I had mine done, and the rain noise seems to be definitely better in the front of the car, but it sounds like there may be some pings to the further back - don't know if they missed some spots, but I can't deal with it anymore. It's better so I'll just deal with it.

Just got back from picking mine up after having the rain noise TSB completed........They also threw in....free of charge......expanding foam on my headliner, foam on my weathertech floor mats, visor installed backwards(rotates towards windshield rather than the side window) and foam on the visor, foam on the passenger leather seat (looks like they tried to clean it), foam splatter in the cup holder, and foam on the plastic base of the passenger seat.......

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

cnsheets,
Ugh, I cannot imagine how livid you must be. I had the same TSB repair performed and I only saw the tiniest bit of the residue on one spot of the windshield, so it CAN be done neatly and with precision. How on earth could the dealer give it back to you looking like that???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have only had a light rain once since I had mine done, and the rain noise seems to be definitely better in the front of the car, but it sounds like there may be some pings to the further back - don't know if they missed some spots, but I can't deal with it anymore. It's better so I'll just deal with it.

I got tired of waiting for rain to check out my new and improved roof so I went thru a no-touch car wash. I know, I know...not supposed to use car washes but I couldn't take the thick layer of pollen anymore. Anyhow, the sound was MUCH improved as has been my Bluetooth. My husband now is willing to talk to me via my Bluetooth. Before, he said the wind tunnel noise was just too intrusive. So, this fix killed two birds....

Back