GWNF Fourth of July Weekend 7/3-7/7 at Camp Fishfood and Shoe Creek | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GWNF Fourth of July Weekend 7/3-7/7 at Camp Fishfood and Shoe Creek

jd,

what kind of bike do you have? is it a street legal one? the reason that i ask is that i have a dual sport (that is an "enduro" to us old farts). if you have a street legal bike then maybe we can do some rides around the area.There are a lot of interesting back roads (dirt and paved) up here and i dont get to ride mine very much because no one to ride with. Mine is a 5uzuki 650 which is way too big for the trails on my land, and way too big for things like shoe creek or even stoney run so i just stay on forest roads etc.

just throwing this out as possibility..... right now my ankle, leg, knee, feet, injuries have kept me from riding but i am starting to walk without cane so maybe by the fourth....who knows.
Yea its street legal, got current tags and all.I have street tires on it right now so no mud or anything for sure.I remember you talking about some nice places to ride too and get good pictures. I would like to get some enduro tires for it but running out of time and money.ill just have to see.so much to do up there idk if I would even have time to ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well bad news...unless things change I MAY be missing this trip:(parts for my ranger are on back order and I'm very low on cash.I would be cutting it very tight to even have the ranger done.plus I won't have a 4x4 or dirt tires on my bike by then.was also informed a couple of days ago that our family vacation is the monday, day after I would return.I can't take two weeks off like that.I run the shop and the only employee left in my department, so I can't just shut down like that:(

I NEVER thought I would say I might miss a trip!!!!! Not happy:(

sorry to hear about your mom, I will be up there anytime from Wednesday on so come on up and hangout... maybe we can do a trip before the rest of the gang gets here. There is this trail called peavine that I have wanted to do but have not done yet. it is probably about an hour from the house, so not much farther than shoe.

I will at least day trip.

Not me...... My ranger still doesn't even have the engine in it :(

I'm 100% out now:( shoe creek is going to be packed!!! I know A LOT of people on facebook that is going

I'm really trying to get my ps system back in order so I can pass inspection...
stacey, I too have a street legal dual sport though its only a 225 on street tires, I'd love to go for a cruise if your up to it...
I may ask for thurs Fri off and try to come up late Wednesday night to help out with whatever and maybe go for a ride thurs or Fri... Just a thought, ill be trailering it up behind the explorer...

I never saw any of these so called "trees" there before. LOL

We were up on the Parkway last week. We rode by the exit of Stoney Run (Bald Knob). The gate was open and I sould see the mud. It was calling to me, but we were in the Mustang. So all we could do was wave.

I prefer Stoney Run to Shoe Creek anyhow.

playin in the mud

in response to several posts.

Will,
go ahead and bring your bike and I will bring mine as well. I love to ride the back roads up here... very scenic. I should be there from Wednesday on. We will do some putting around. Are you still bringing BBQ or do I need to smoke some?

How many tent sites should I build? I have a tractor with front end loader to make that task a little easier. I will try and build a couple picnic tables before then too.

The river remains very high...... lets hope that it drops. My neighbor has lots of trails cut along the river but the land is sooooooo wet that it is questionable whether we should attempt playing down there. last Tuesday, I was at the spot where we went swimming. We got about 4 inches of rain and the vehicle just sank into the ground where they were parked ! took me about 2 hours to get out, and another 2 hours washing out bearings, u joints etc.

I am still looking to maybe do a run on peavine mountain trail maybe on the fourth. Anyone going to be up for that? (not on motorcycle this time). I have to do some work on the fifth (telecommute etc.) but only for a couple hours.

As to group run on Saturday I would be more in favor of Stoney as well.

neighbor is still doing fireworks on the 6th at dark thirty-ish

oh yeah I have some vehicle recovery pics that I will share on another post. one of my neighbors missed my driveway with his golf cart and decided to tumble off down the face until the trees finally brought him to a stop. no major injuries fortunately.

Where is "slick rock" I seen a post they have closed it to motorized vehicles now??

I web wheeled the Peavine trail, Forest Trail 39(Google Earth). It looks kike it is a through trail that ends at the Lynchburg Resevior. There are also some trails that go around Panther falls. It looks like a lot of trails, so pack your GPS or topo maps.

I have not found much information online. This might be a intersting new trip.

If we do not get on the Peavine trail this week, then we should schedule a fall trip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

camp spike

looks like there is minimal overnight "camping" at my place so I am not even going to clean out camping spots..... sounds like it is only xeek and will sleeping at my place so there is plenty floor space. No one has claimed dibs on guest bedroom so that already has the queen air mattress. and living room has sofa... guess we have to camp in air conditioning......

will based on the limited turn out I would not go to extremes on bringing pork....I have not planned anything (party etc) with any non explorer members..... so we don't have a large group to feed

Jd you ought to just throw your bike in with Xeek and come up for the scenic motorcycle rides.... and just camp in the basement. you can get your truck ready for the next trip.

Those with dogs.....(if any) fireworks are downstream and around the oxbow so the noise will not be so intense at the house.... dogs can stay in basement while we drive down to the private boat landing to watch the show.

Back