Shoe Creek GWNF JUNE RUN+camp | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shoe Creek GWNF JUNE RUN+camp

i haven't posted in a while so i am trying to touch base on a couple of the salient points from the last several pages

Will, i appreciate the offer on the BBQ and will probably take you up on it next time....but for this time i will smoke my own..... how much does it cost / pound to get it from your folks? i am betting when it is all said and done that it is cheaper to get it from them.

as to fridge..... nothing there i have full size freezer but only a dormer size fridge... basically worthless.

i see a couple people talking about kids.... if you are camping at my place i am sure we can find some campspots close enough but far enough if we make too much noise.

Is there a specific run and meeting place set yet????? i may have some local folks that may join you for the GWNF portion of the run. At this point i am not sure whether i will be able to run or not as i might have too much to do at the house, i think some folks may just bring ATV's and hang at my place while the rest of you are in the forest.

Do we have a head count and an estimated time (or day) of arrival.

River levels are finally getting down to a level where fishing, floating, wading can be done. i have patched a handfull of inner tubes for river floats.

If you guys are doing shoe....be careful about the water levels....we have been having weird cloudburst type storms that will cause on area or another to flash. i do not have a good feel for how to check that. Maybe keep an eye on the guages from the AWA website for the upper Piney.

as to carrying a Kayak affecting gas mileage....i would not worry about it ....I carried kayaks on my vehicles almost continuously from 1985 through 1999. i was never ever able to establish a discernble fuel consumption issue.

Has anybody reached out to Brandon?
Me and Will are planning on getting there little before noon on Friday. Brandon is out.we was talking about running shoe creek around 10am sat and eating lunch and trying to run the one we did last year after lunch.i said with all this rain we might have problems with the water crossings:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i haven't posted in a while so i am trying to touch base on a couple of the salient points from the last several pages

Will, i appreciate the offer on the BBQ and will probably take you up on it next time....but for this time i will smoke my own..... how much does it cost / pound to get it from your folks? i am betting when it is all said and done that it is cheaper to get it from them.

as to fridge..... nothing there i have full size freezer but only a dormer size fridge... basically worthless.

i see a couple people talking about kids.... if you are camping at my place i am sure we can find some campspots close enough but far enough if we make too much noise.

Is there a specific run and meeting place set yet????? i may have some local folks that may join you for the GWNF portion of the run. At this point i am not sure whether i will be able to run or not as i might have too much to do at the house, i think some folks may just bring ATV's and hang at my place while the rest of you are in the forest.

Do we have a head count and an estimated time (or day) of arrival.

River levels are finally getting down to a level where fishing, floating, wading can be done. i have patched a handfull of inner tubes for river floats.

If you guys are doing shoe....be careful about the water levels....we have been having weird cloudburst type storms that will cause on area or another to flash. i do not have a good feel for how to check that. Maybe keep an eye on the guages from the AWA website for the upper Piney.

as to carrying a Kayak affecting gas mileage....i would not worry about it ....I carried kayaks on my vehicles almost continuously from 1985 through 1999. i was never ever able to establish a discernble fuel consumption issue.

Has anybody reached out to Brandon?
Bbq is 8.50 a pound with free sauce(pound is meat only if you ask) I can get for free...
I may bring my son but if I do he can sleep anywhere he's great at going to sleep and staying in bed until I get up. Also we would just share my air mattress...he loves camping and off roading
Can't decide if I should bring my canoe as its a 14' aluminum...may just leave it...
Jd and I should be there around noon Friday...I think we have three or four others coming at the most...

Anything I can bring with me you need stacey?

So excited! Plus the more I think about that creek crossing, we are going in at crabtree and that's near the exit on the other side so we could always go to that turn around and come back out where we went in... It is a two way trail...

Bbq is 8.50 a pound with free sauce(pound is meat only if you ask) I can get for free...
I may bring my son but if I do he can sleep anywhere he's great at going to sleep and staying in bed until I get up. Also we would just share my air mattress...he loves camping and off roading
Can't decide if I should bring my canoe as its a 14' aluminum...may just leave it...
Jd and I should be there around noon Friday...I think we have three or four others coming at the most...

Anything I can bring with me you need stacey?

So excited! Plus the more I think about that creek crossing, we are going in at crabtree and that's near the exit on the other side so we could always go to that turn around and come back out where we went in... It is a two way trail...

Wow it is hurtin to read all this. Can't believe my trans went a week out from this run.

I'm sure there will be more...right...?

So water is gonna be an issue? :(
And right now it's looking like I'ma have to take a little outta savings to make this trip so the kayak wouldnt be worth bringing as it has to hurt gas mileage some.

Still don't have the tow hook installed, ate up 2 drill bits and a drill... atleast I know the frame is "built Ford tough" as my girlfriend said :D having issues with the quick disconnects as well. The drill was outta wack and I didn't know, which ate up my stepper drill bit....

So water is gonna be an issue? :(
And right now it's looking like I'ma have to take a little outta savings to make this trip so the kayak wouldnt be worth bringing as it has to hurt gas mileage some.

Still don't have the tow hook installed, ate up 2 drill bits and a drill... atleast I know the frame is "built Ford tough" as my girlfriend said :D having issues with the quick disconnects as well. The drill was outta wack and I didn't know, which ate up my stepper drill bit....

Water should be a non issue if when we get to it we want we can go back out the way we came... It's almost all the way down the trail at the end/ other side...

Im tuned and ready to go:) my 220 amp alt blew up on the dyno so now im back to a stock one so dont think ill be running much wile the truck is running. :( i need a GOOD 300 amp one!!

My buddy with his jeep (as long as he can get off work this weekend) and I will probably be showing up round 2 Friday. Hopefully I can get my spare mounted by then.

I'll show whenever everyone else is, im going to meet a friend on thursday and I'll sleep in a parking lot somewhere near there. So I'll do some site seeing before the run if need be. Oh yeah, more reason not to bring the kayak :D sleeping in walmart parking lots with a kayak on the roof, kinda sketchy

So what's the address/gps coordinates where we're meeting?

So what's the address/gps coordinates where we're meeting?

When are you planning on coming up? It would be best for you to met us in Richmond early Friday if you can.if not we can post the gps link,its on one of these pages

Happy Trails guys! I'm sure most of you are on the way out there. Still pissed i missed this one because of my trans. Late September/October run...?

Happy Trails guys! I'm sure most of you are on the way out there. Still pissed i missed this one because of my trans. Late September/October run...?

I plan on heading out there at least a few times this summer for day trips. Might try and wrangle up some people I work with who drive Jeeps.

Its going to be a fun trail ride tomorrow...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back