Interior Dome Lights Not Working | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Dome Lights Not Working

Have the same problem. WTF someone decided to put the fuse panel where it is just baffles me. Ford should provide a trained monkey to crawl under the dash and change fuses.

On second thought, I think the monkey would be too smart to crawl under that dash!

Going to get the spare fuses out before I crawl under that dash again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone discovered just why the Explorer is blowing the dome light/interior light fuse.

It's a 15 amp fuse. That's fairly big. Is it sized right at the max?

I haven't looked to see how many bulbs are on it, but there is the front, mid, and rear dome lights and the front storage box LED. That wouldn't seem to be that much, but I haven't looked at the bulbs to see the wattage and do the calculation.

I think the manual has the specs on each bulb. Have to do the math later when I have a minute.

It doesn't seem to be a big problem unless you are personally have to get in there to change the fuse. Only 4 posts on it.
The interior lights on fuse #12 are the overhead console lights (2), 2nd row courtesy lamps (2 if you have moonroof), cargo lamp, puddle lamps (2), console bin LED and backlighting.

Peter

It doesn't seem to be a big problem unless you are personally have to get in there to change the fuse. Only 4 posts on it.
The interior lights on fuse #12 are the overhead console lights (2), 2nd row courtesy lamps (2 if you have moonroof), cargo lamp, puddle lamps (2), console bin LED and backlighting.

Peter
According to the 2011 manual, the following are on fuse 12:
Interior courtesy lamps (overhead console, 2nd row, cargo),
Puddle lamps,
console bin LED,
Backlighting.

The map lights are on a separate circuit. They continued to work when the domes went out.

For there to be any posts on this is troubling. A 15 amp circuit at 12 volts should take care of 180 watts/ That's a lot of lighting.

Interior lights won't turn on

Hello fellow explorationists (yes it's a real word lol)
2013 limited having lighting issues. They won't turn on when I use the pushbutton on each individual light. Map lights, second row overheads and cargo area are all changed to LED, but none will work when pressed. When I use the button below the fog light button they all turn on as they should, same with opening a door. Also the vanity mirror lights and glove box light won't come on at all. Any ideas?

Check fuse #4 in the cabin fuse panel. There are 2 fuses that control the interior lights. Fuse 4 is for 'Demand' and fuse 12 is for the 'Courtesy' lights.

I have also merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

2012 Ford Explorer LTD - Interior Lights Don't Work

Hi all,

I have been reading this string and I see some commonalities.

Symptoms:
1. Puddle lights, interior domes, center console light, steering wheel lights do not come on at all.
2. Dome control button underneath fog light button does nothing.
3. Dome lights do turn on when touching them individually and pushing them on.

Troubleshooting:

1. Checked fuses 4 and 12 and both are fine.
2. Performed defaults setting on menu controlled by steering column as well as a master reset on the sync touch screen. No Change.

Background - Battery died 3 months ago and I had it replaced after a jump start. Vehicle has 45k miles on it and have had it since 10 mile almost 39 months ago. For AZ the battery did well. My wife noticed the lighting issue may have started when the battery was replaced.

For those of you that had this repaired I see the dealer fixed a relay on one and tighten a connection on another.

Which relay was bad and where is it located?
Which connections were loose and where?

I would like a DIY solution as the vehicle is out of warranty and I just paid $900 for a faulty joint on the driver side...

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Steve

Hi All,
Just posting an update to my interior lighting issue. Finally got my appointment to turn my Ex in this past Thursday and got it back Saturday a.m. They replaced the fuse and found lights flickering, traced it to a loose pin connection with a connector plug, re-seated plug and all is well with lights. Now puddle lights and interior cabin lights come on when doors are opened; steering wheel buttons backlighting and center console gear selector lights come on; and interior light switch on lower left of dash below fog light switch/button works. They also replaced the windshield right-hand A-pillar moulding (?), but haven't had a chance to check whistling/wind noise due to heavy rains yesterday, so hopefully we'll get to test it out today. Wife and I are very happy with the vehicle and pleased with turnaround time with local service department.

Good evening - I am having the same issues... Where was the loose pin / connector located on the vehicle?

Hi Return2GU08,
I had my Explorer repaired at a local dealer and now everything is working fine. They replaced a faulty microrelay in module.
Good luck!

Good evening,

Do you know the name of the micro relay that was replaced an the location?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2nd row and puddle lights won't turn on

Hi when I first got the car the puddle lights worked fine but the 2nd row didn't work. Now I noticed the puddle lights don't work too don't know what's going on. Anyone know how to fix this?

:wavey:Welcome to the Forum ctoledo0834.
It doesn't seem the fuse is the issue given your post, but now that the puddle lights have also gone out have you checked the fuse? The fuse 12 controls Interior courtesy lamps (overhead console, 2nd row, cargo), Puddle lamps, Console bin LED, Backlighting. If the other items work, then it isn't the fuse.
It's a good place to start before going on.

Peter

already check the fuse the other day, but will recheck it tomorrow

already check the fuse the other day, but will recheck it tomorrow

Hi ctoledo0834,

If that doesn't work out, you can always ask your dealership to inspect. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

Hi ctoledo0834,

If that doesn't work out, you can always ask your dealership to inspect. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

It has around 44,500. Was thinking about taking it to tge dealer but not sure if it wold be covered by the warranty

It has around 44,500. Was thinking about taking it to tge dealer but not sure if it wold be covered by the warranty

I can't make warranty determinations, ctoledo0834, but your dealership's service manager will be able to tell you. Let me know if you decide to go there for diagnosis and I'll check out options to help.

Crystal

I can't make warranty determinations, ctoledo0834, but your dealership's service manager will be able to tell you. Let me know if you decide to go there for diagnosis and I'll check out options to help.

Crystal

Ok thanks for the help. I bought the car used from a Lincoln dealer should I take it there or to a ford dealer ?

Ok thanks for the help. I bought the car used from a Lincoln dealer should I take it there or to a ford dealer ?

Hi ctoledo0834,

You can have your Explorer serviced at the Lincoln Dealership or any Ford Dealership you like. Did you purchase the Explorer recently?

Crystal

Hi ctoledo0834,

You can have your Explorer serviced at the Lincoln Dealership or any Ford Dealership you like. Did you purchase the Explorer recently?

Crystal

Yea less then 5 months ago. So I just got back from the Lincoln dealer and they wanted to charge me $108 bucks just to check it.

Yea less then 5 months ago. So I just got back from the Lincoln dealer and they wanted to charge me $108 bucks just to check it.

Hi ctoledo0834,

Our dealerships are independently owned and operated; they set their own prices for diagnosis. If you'd like, you can call your local Ford Dealership to see if they'll give you a competitive price. Locate one in your area by entering your ZIP code here: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate/

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I'm new to this page.
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer xlt. My interior lights will not come on unless I turn them on! I even switched out the fuses and they still won't work☹️ Please help me❤

Back