How big can you go with 18" wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How big can you go with 18" wheels?

15MagGreyXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Murrells Inlet S.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hi again, my 2nd of probably many post. I have used the search option and could not locate an answer. I just got my EX(2015 Mag Grey XLT) and after driving many went with the 18" wheels for the ride quality all though I liked the looks of the polished 20" better. Does anyone know how big of tire I can go with without having rubbing or any modification? The 245/60 Michelins that came on it looks like there could be room to go to 245/70 or even 250/70 to fill the wheel well a little more? When I bought my 2012 Tacoma I found a local shop that will give me a good price on trades, it came with crappy Dunlops and at 800 miles they gave me $140 per tire towards a set of Michelin LTX 2s. If I can go a little bigger on the EX for look and ride I might try it again since I am only at 600 miles. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you have 245/60R18 tires now. There is no 250 width. A 255/70R18 is not suitable either. It is way over the accepted 3% diameter variance. It sounds like you want a higher sidewall. The tire size calculator I use does not have a 245/70R in an 18" size. If you are looking at wider tires, there is a whole thread on that.

Peter

I suggest 255 60 R18. There is only a 1.6% difference. I am looking at a set of General Grabber AT2 in that size for winter driving on the well roads I have to traverse. Use the link below.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

you can replace for the size 265/60R18 and it will fit , some of my customers use it as the car can handle the sizes 20" , its 3.17 which a little bit more than accepted but its ok I think , Also you can use 255/55R18 .

I believe the op is looking at a higher sidewall not a wider tire since he is looking to go from a 60 to a 70.

Peter

Peterk9 You are correct. I was looking for a higher sidewall and not really concerned with width. Even if I do not do it right now I would like to get an idea so when I do replace them if I could up the ratio to 65,70,75? also possibly go with a little more aggressive looking tire that still provides an excellent ride like the LTX M/S2. Not sure how it would look so I was trying to see how much room I had and if anyone has done it if there were any pictures. No I do not plan on going off road and we do not get snow at the beach in S.C. I just think it my look and ride a little better

Oh yea, thanks for all the help and advice from everyone.

235 65 R18 will fit, as well. If you don't mind going skinner, and 225 70 R18 will fit.

COnfirm 265/60R18 will fit on a 2014 Explorer Sport

Hi everyone,

I recently traded in my old truck for a 2014 Explorer Sport. I have a set of 265/60R18 from the truck that's only one winter old. I think they will fit with some new 5 bolt steel wheels for next winter, but just want some confirmation.

Cheers,
Sean

Hi everyone,

I recently traded in my old truck for a 2014 Explorer Sport. I have a set of 265/60R18 from the truck that's only one winter old. I think they will fit, but just want some confirmation.

Cheers,
Sean

Confirmed.

I run 265/60/18 for the Winter, just be mindful of the wheel you buy, as only a few clear the HD Brakes.

file_zps0e628772.jpg

file_zps8e4cd135.jpg

file_zpsf49990cc.jpg

file_zpsyxzzct85.jpg

Hi everyone,

I recently traded in my old truck for a 2014 Explorer Sport. I have a set of 265/60R18 from the truck that's only one winter old. I think they will fit with some new 5 bolt steel wheels for next winter, but just want some confirmation.

Cheers,
Sean
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Sean, I'm assuming your Sport has the 255/50R20 size right now. If so the 265/60R18 will have a diameter variance of 1.60% which is well within the accepted maximum 3% variance.

Peter

Much thanks for the quick replies, recommendations, and excellent pics! :)

I currently have the OE stock tires and wheels. A Ford dealership recommend "Interceptor" 18" steel wheels @ about $120 each. What would you recommend?

I currently have the OE stock tires and wheels. A Ford dealership recommend "Interceptor" 18" steel wheels @ about $120 each. What would you recommend?

file_zps3da7e376.jpg

file_zps4c84eec1.jpg

file_zps16e92a8a.jpg

The Interceptor wheel (think the Interceptor Wheel is a 17" not 18") is a good fit but it looks like a crap steel wheel, which it is and if your Explorer is Black or White they will make it look like a Cop Wagon. If you do go with that wheel get the Chrome Ford Caps and they'll look a bit better but, remember they will rust immediately and really start to look like crap after a season.

I went with a Moda from Tire Rack, there's a few different options and TireRack have a tool to see how the tire will look on your car.

What kind of tires are those? They have a tread design similar to my Cooper Weather Master

I currently have the OE stock tires and wheels. A Ford dealership recommend "Interceptor" 18" steel wheels @ about $120 each. What wouldyou recommend?
I have the Interceptor 18" wheels that I use for Winter tires. Dealer listed at $102.95 each and charged me $88 each. They charged me $20 for each wheel cover.

Peter

Attachments

• PA290305_001.JPG
    PA290305_001.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 958

I have the Interceptor 18" wheels that I use for Winter tires. Dealer listed at $102.95 each and charged me $88 each. They charged me $20 for each wheel cover.

Peter

That's all they're worth...

LOL

The look is abysmal, IMO.

That said, the set up is thoroughly functional.

file_zps3da7e376.jpg

file_zps4c84eec1.jpg

file_zps16e92a8a.jpg

The Interceptor wheel (think the Interceptor Wheel is a 17" not 18") is a good fit but it looks like a crap steel wheel, which it is and if your Explorer is Black or White they will make it look like a Cop Wagon. If you do go with that wheel get the Chrome Ford Caps and they'll look a bit better but, remember they will rust immediately and really start to look like crap after a season.

I went with a Moda from Tire Rack, there's a few different options and TireRack have a tool to see how the tire will look on your car.

Thanks again "TheMustangShow". The pics are very helpful and I will check out Tire Rack. :)

Peter

Thanks for the quick reply, pic, and confirmation on the price Peter. :)

after going on a long offroad/dirt travel and concerns of a puncture (thankfully none had) had me thinking of more of an A/T tire if I plan to do this more.
20150425_132930-M.jpg

20150425_142017-M.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the quick reply, pic, and confirmation on the price Peter. :)

Heya Peter and TheMustangShow,

I got 4 of the steel wheels at a great price. Now, I can put $$$$ for new aftermarket 20" rims and all season tires. :)

Did you guys get the TPMS installed? Will I get an annoying warning sound if I don't install TPMS or will the light just display?

Cheers

Back