Building and All Purpose (Not Street Legal) Trail Rig | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Building and All Purpose (Not Street Legal) Trail Rig

KLJ777

Reaction score
City, State
Green Lane , PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Ok let me start by saying I have a 94 Explorer that I have let friends in need borrow for a couple of years. It has found its way back to me and I want to make a non street legal trail rig. Want to do it cheap and just have some fun. A little about the rig. It has a 5.5" Superlift and 32's. I had the tranny rebuilt after a bad trial ride and it it is mostly stock other than that. Tranny and motor are solid, Body pretty good and frame excellent. I want to build something I can take out 6-8 weekends a year and beat up. Mama says budget is VERY low. Thoughts on the build. :) ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What axle gears does it have?

I would fill it up with gas and go out and have fun! Next time you need tires put some 33's or maybe 35's. A locker always helps so keep an eye out for a used locker and you may get lucky! Or if its just a trail rig i would weld the diff and forget about a locker.

If your budget is low why make it not street legal? Low budget build; I'd weld the front end, whatever cheap locker you can get for the rear end, ~32" tires, remove the rear sway bar, quick disco for the front sway bar, rock sliders, and front/rear hitches with a harbor freight winch on a hitch mount.
If you haven't already, 3:73 or 4:10 gears and a transmission cooler and temp gauge.

I believe she has 3.55 but will go Tag diving tonight.

:hammer::hammer:
Thanks for all the replies. She has been street legal up until 2013. Starting to have some rust in places the State (PA) doesn't like. I have 5 cars so I thought about making this one a "cheap" semi aggressive trail rig. As things break I hope to upgrade. Possibly some day putting 1 ton running gear in it, so the Lincoln locker sounds good. When the time comes may do some sawzall body work. Removing all unnecessary exhaust, tube bumpers etc. Mostly going to ride trails but I do like mud. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE FEEDBACK !!!!

Tried to post pic's and am having trouble

I cant seem to insert them into my post.
Any thoughts?
I am looking at setting up a gallery.

:roll:

Back