Disable LED Signature Lights | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable LED Signature Lights

I know you can get into the Headlights. You CAN unplug the LED lights where the LED light connects to the Light Pipe which goes around the headlight. That being said, if you have an Electrical Engineer friend, he should easily be able to splice in to that circuit and run a switch to the interior.

Hmmm....I do have an Electrical Engineer friend. Maybe I should have him make a wiring harness kit to do this...?
If you do this it would be greatly appreciated if you could share photos and diagrams so the rest of us who go to drive-ins can turn these darn things of :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do this it would be greatly appreciated if you could share photos and diagrams so the rest of us who go to drive-ins can turn these darn things of :)
Just curious. Do the people that go to drive-ins all have their cars running? Although I'm not sure, isn't that the only time the signature lights come on?

Peter

Aren't they off in park?

I saw a 2016 Black Explorer yesterday that had the amber turn signals on as parking lights with the low beam headlights and no LED signature lights. It must have been law enforcement. First 2016 LE version I have seen.

Just curious. Do the people that go to drive-ins all have their cars running? Although I'm not sure, isn't that the only time the signature lights come on?

Peter
They are on weather the car is running or in aux.

If the automatic lights are turned on, and the Daytime Running Lights are turned on my LED signature lights are off when in Park.

If the automatic lights are turned on, and the Daytime Running Lights are turned on my LED signature lights are off when in Park.
How does that help at a drive in?
The goal is to disable all exterior lighting while the car is either running or in aux mode.

We don't have any drive-in's here anymore :( I guess it doesn't help.

They are on weather the car is running or in aux.
Not sure if you are using the ignition in auxiliary mode in order to use the radio or not but the radio can be turned on at any time. It isn't regulated by the ignition switch. It will time out after quite a while but you can just turn it back on.

Peter

Not sure if you are using the ignition in auxiliary mode in order to use the radio or not but the radio can be turned on at any time. It isn't regulated by the ignition switch. It will time out after quite a while but you can just turn it back on.

Peter
True, but you can't open the windows and if you open the door the signature lights turn on also if you want to use the heat/ac or charge the battery while watching you cant.

I saw a 2016 Black Explorer yesterday that had the amber turn signals on as parking lights with the low beam headlights and no LED signature lights. It must have been law enforcement. First 2016 LE version I have seen.

Yes your right.

Signature lighting is not available for Police Interceptor models.

The headlight assembly is completely different and has no LED signature filament/bulb.

They used that area inside the headlight assembly for emergency lighting.

My agency just purchased a 2016 Ford Explorer which will be used as a police vehicle. It does not have the "police package" as it will be used as an undercover vehicle. It's just an XLT from the dealer.

I do a lot of surveillance and the LED Signature Lights make that a little bit tough at night. I have read and read on how to disable these and I can't seem to find an answer. I don't care if I have to cut wires...I just need to know which ones to cut :)

Thanks!
JT

Undercover company vehicle ? Take it to the mech @ the precinct and tell him u want the lights disabled ...

can these be added to a base explorer 2016

can these be added to a base explorer 2016
If the Base doesn't have them then I think you would have to change out the entire headlamp assuming the actual opening is the same size. Likely the wiring harness is different as well along with the software designed to control them.

Peter

Last week I was followed home from the drugstore. As I neared home, I did two quick lefts and a right, slid into the driveway, and shut the car off. Then the car announced where I was.

I am an electronic design engineer. Thank you all for letting me find out there is no way to turn off the flashing tail lights when I open the door or the interior lights when I turn the engine off. I have the wiring diagram for my 2005 Explorer. I will get started on this.

This is what I found out playing with it the other night. Not sure if this works with the daytime running light on. If you turn off the daytime running lights the signature lights should be off during the daytime. At night the will be on. I took my light from my phone and shinned it on the light sensor on the dash. When I did this the signature lights turned off. Not real helpful, but it's a start. I'll play with more over the weekend.

Last week I was followed home from the drugstore. As I neared home, I did two quick lefts and a right, slid into the driveway, and shut the car off. Then the car announced where I was.

I am an electronic design engineer. Thank you all for letting me find out there is no way to turn off the flashing tail lights when I open the door or the interior lights when I turn the engine off. I have the wiring diagram for my 2005 Explorer. I will get started on this.
I hope you are aware that you posted in the 2011 - 2017 Explorer forum. The 5th gen Explorer is quite different from the 3rd generation so the info found here may not apply to your 2005 Explorer. Also this thread is for the FRONT LED Signature lights.

Peter

We don't have any drive-in's here anymore :( I guess it doesn't help.

Who goes to drive ins anymore?

My lights go off when I turn off my vehicle, walk in and sit down in my reserved recliner after I order a ****tail at the bar. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I'm new here. I was "searching" from the Stock 2002-2005 Forums and stupidly thought I would get results relevant to the Stock 2002-2005 Explorers.

I also answered your post when it popped up on my screen, but that answer seems to have disappeared into the aether, so I'm repeating myself here. I'll be more careful in the future.

Back