List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

claim should start the day the you first brought it in for the issue with whatever mileage it had. If it was within the time and mileage, they are trying to use a stall tactic. Ford knows they messed up on the aluminum hoods. If you had to fix the hood yourself you might try making an insurance claim, maybe it was caused by rock chips?
Having it blasted by sand might warp the hood, but I'm sure the shop would use baking soda or walnut shells etc. I think the best bet would be chemically stripping the hood and having the oxidization neutralized with more chemicals, the problem is if any is missed it will bubble the paint back up again. On older Explorer I have seen people attach hood deflectors to hide the issueo_O

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have options. You can work with your dealership and make your case or You can sue and win. I educated myself regarding this issue via a FACEBOOK group FORD MERCURY PEELING PAINT COMPLAINTS. I learned that the best way to address this issue is gathering the information to make an informed complaint. I had my hood repainted, no charge and with a rental no charge for 3 weeks. Wouldn't have happened without the information I learned with documents from this group. Good luck.. By the way we own 4 Fords and it's a shame how Ford is treating it's loyal customers. You should Not have to fight them when they know they sold faulty products that have been documented on TV. Make some noise!

You are making good sense.
I looked over my hood again today and the small bubble has tripled in size within a month. There are additional bumps growing all along the front. It is a metal finishing problem that oxidizing starts growing and does not sleep.

After reporting I was told it is a couple months out of the service date and will not be covered by Ford. I have time to pursue this now. Emphases on the SUE part. This corrosion did not start when I noticed it. It started under warranty.

As a follow up, I did get a supervisor, allegedly, to call me. She said she was confused by the back and forth in the notes. She told me that the repair was approved back on May 31. I told her yes but the other rep contacted the dealership and said no, it had to be blasted and repainted as some shop an hour and a half away. She said that didn't make sense and would call me back after contacting the dealer. Three days later she got my wife and told her that the replacement was definitely approved and was just waiting on the dealership to call her back to schedule the work. When my wife asked why all the problems she said it was a "glitch" in the system. We're still waiting to hear from the "supervisor" as to our scheduled repair. I still want an answer as to why we were treated so poorly. I tend to not let things like this be explained away by "glitchy" systems.

As a follow up, I did get a supervisor, allegedly, to call me. She said she was confused by the back and forth in the notes. She told me that the repair was approved back on May 31. I told her yes but the other rep contacted the dealership and said no, it had to be blasted and repainted as some shop an hour and a half away. She said that didn't make sense and would call me back after contacting the dealer. Three days later she got my wife and told her that the replacement was definitely approved and was just waiting on the dealership to call her back to schedule the work. When my wife asked why all the problems she said it was a "glitch" in the system. We're still waiting to hear from the "supervisor" as to our scheduled repair. I still want an answer as to why we were treated so poorly. I tend to not let things like this be explained away by "glitchy" systems.

In the month and a half that I have owned my car I have quickly realized just how bad the customer service is with Ford. With the hood thing being such a prevalent problem because of Ford's incompetence you would think they want to make it right. Its almost a joke how much you have to push them to get it fixed.

Adding our 2013 Exp Sport to the list. The hood is corroding all the way around on the edge. I'm taking it by Mac Haik Ford in Pasadena tomorrow for them to "look at it".

Guess we'll see what happens.

Adding our 2013 Exp Sport to the list. The hood is corroding all the way around on the edge. I'm taking it by Mac Haik Ford in Pasadena tomorrow for them to "look at it".

Guess we'll see what happens.

My observation on the edge of the hood captures dirt and moisture from the rubber trim piece. The corrosion starts right on the seam and starts working it's way around the edge. New photos of mine coming soon. Light has to be right.

i have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport and today I noticed some actually quite a bit at the edge.

I believe I've seen this issue posted before.

I'm happy to post pics once I get them but hoping a Ford rep can help me out.

I fear I'm out of paint warranty but this seems like it's a defect.

i have a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport and today I noticed some actually quite a bit at the edge.

I believe I've seen this issue posted before.

I'm happy to post pics once I get them but hoping a Ford rep can help me out.

I fear I'm out of paint warranty but this seems like it's a defect.
I've merged your thread with this existing one I found using the handy 'Search' feature. If you want to get FordService involved it is always best to send them a private message.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?conversations/add&to=FordService
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message. Good luck.

Peter

I have this issue as well on my 2014 limited Explorer bought it brand new. My 1st Ford I ever bought and I have this paint bubbling issue. Took it to the dealer they said it was not covered under warranty. This has really aggravated me I bought a $45k vehicle it's less than 3 years old and the paint is coming off. This is absolutely ridiculous. Ford needs to take care of their customers especially if they want returning customers. Has anybody contacted the better business bureau to get them involved with this issue to see if they could help? I went and got 2 estimates from local body shops our dealer here doesn't do body work.

I have this issue as well on my 2014 limited Explorer bought it brand new. My 1st Ford I ever bought and I have this paint bubbling issue. Took it to the dealer they said it was not covered under warranty. This has really aggravated me I bought a $45k vehicle it's less than 3 years old and the paint is coming off. This is absolutely ridiculous. Ford needs to take care of their customers especially if they want returning customers. Has anybody contacted the better business bureau to get them involved with this issue to see if they could help? I went and got 2 estimates from local body shops our dealer here doesn't do body work.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There is a TSB for 'Aluminum Panel Corrosion'. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...explorer-tsbs-ssms.343204/page-2#post-3544247

Peter

Is this a repair kit that I do my self or is this a bulletin repair under ford?
Technical Service Bulletins are carried out by Ford for no cost as long as the vehicle is under warranty.

Technical Service Bulletins are carried out by Ford for no cost as long as the vehicle is under warranty.
Is this applied if vehicle is under ESP?

Yes, if it is a Ford ESP.

Peter
Yes, it is Ford's ESP.
I'll give it another try presenting this TSB, cause last time (few months ago) claim was refused under 3 year warranty premise.

Came across this post in this thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...-bubble-issue-only.326943/page-3#post-3212616
I'm hoping that now it is an official TSB that the issue will be covered under the ESP. It has been mentioned a few times in the Forum that TSB's are covered under Ford's ESP.

Peter

A TSB is only covered if the affected part is also covered by the extended service plan. For example, trim is not covered by the esp so the TSB for the cowl vibration is not covered. As this is a paint issue it is not covered by the esp as paint is not covered. Wish it was, but it will take a class action suit against Ford's corrosion warranty (breach of contract suit) for this to be covered. If we get enough people in on the suit we could make this happen.

Just noticed these on my 2014 Explorer when I was washing it, three locations where it's just bubbling up right on the front edge of the hood. I knew about the issue as a friend has a 2013 Mustang that had the problem and ended up getting a whole new hood. What do we do about this, take it to the dealer? And what are they doing to fix on the Explorer, sand/paint, or new hood?

Thanks,
Mac

Just noticed these on my 2014 Explorer when I was washing it, three locations where it's just bubbling up right on the front edge of the hood. I knew about the issue as a friend has a 2013 Mustang that had the problem and ended up getting a whole new hood. What do we do about this, take it to the dealer? And what are they doing to fix on the Explorer, sand/paint, or new hood?

Thanks,
Mac
What can you do to fix the problem? Open your wallet. Repeat as required. I know that is a bit snarky but Ford MAY "discount" the repair/repainting, letting you pay the actual cost.

Or you may get lucky and have a dealer which cares about customers and takes care of you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks,
Mac
See post 571 above. It is not a paint issue but caused by corrosion under the paint.

Peter

Back