1998 XLT build :) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 XLT build :)

Excellent, it's good to know that normal maintenance can be helpful. When you get happy with the basic stuff, then you might think about getting a ported lower intake, or a bigger exhaust etc. Enjoy it.

I plan to do both and headers once I do all the basics :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish their were more choices for headers, but it is what it is, the market for this vehicle.

Excellent, it's good to know that normal maintenance can be helpful. When you get happy with the basic stuff, then you might think about getting a ported lower intake, or a bigger exhaust etc. Enjoy it.

I plan to do both and headers once I do all the basics :)
I wish their were more choices for headers, but it is what it is, the market for this vehicle.

Exactly what I was thinking. My bad for liking 20 year old trucks I guess :)

My newest vehicle is my 99 Explorer, I've always preferred the older cars. I make do with what I have and it costs less.

IMG_20190608_204803.jpg

Gasket is supposed to be reuse able but going to grab a new OE style one then do the fluid this week been putting it off for a while. My old 5r55e scarred me but hopefully this is a better ordeal lol.

Trucks mainly been sitting I didn't want to keep driving it without a muffler. Also have that and going to get a welder probably this weekend and do that next.

received_658991354566603.jpeg

Fortune thanks for recommending the dorman pan worked like a charm.

Snapchat-817577858.jpg

She's still kicking. Threw some 31's on her and the just barely rub sometimes. I am going to try to lift it next

Snapchat-1382464395.jpg

Plasti dipped bottom "trim" made it like Eddie Bauer ish

the dorman pan looks good... I cannot take the credit I learned about them here on EF
I will add one to the list of parts for my truck, I like where Dorman put the drain plug!

Looking good sure has some nice paint!

Got that dorman pan as well, it seemed to be of good build quality. +1 for drain plug.

I did a thing this weekend. Stuffed another battery under the hood.

Snapchat-2005346095.jpg

Still alive and kicking. Back to changing the water pump so I can get her running again. Got used to driving my 93 with all the snow 😅

IMG_20210310_123803795.jpg

IMG_20210310_123754791_HDR.jpg

After all the time I've spent cleaning and polishing my rims it hurts a little inside to see them painted black :(

I really need to get a garage building/ fixing in my stone driveway is getting a little bit old lol

After all the time I've spent cleaning and polishing my rims it hurts a little inside to see them painted black :(

I really need to get a garage building/ fixing in my stone driveway is getting a little bit old lol

it had sat under a tree for years before I bought it and the clear coat or whatever that’s on the rims was worn off and nasty looking so I painted the rims bumper and lower rocker area black to make it look like something. I want to get it gloss black all around before it's all said and done. I prefer the newer looking spiral 16 inch rims I had on my eddie bauer (previous owner actually took care of vehicle) I spent alot of time cleaning those up 😁.

2C517DEF-F8FC-4AD8-8FF9-4E4A547C5BC1.jpeg
F1542ADF-57A1-4579-AED8-EF626F352F1E.jpeg
AF0AD78F-381C-4346-9850-D1D2AD582921.jpeg

I couldn’t get it to focus but bare copper wire on the crankshaft position sensor? Is probably not good right?

I would not leave exposed electrical wires in my truck... especially when it is an essential sensor, and especially when it is in a location exposed to oil and water and general elements. You might need to splice and solder in another connector to your wiring harness, and might have to get that from salvage, but I can’t see the photo.

Good luck, and nice truck!

I would not leave exposed electrical wires in my truck... especially when it is an essential sensor, and especially when it is in a location exposed to oil and water and general elements. You might need to splice and solder in another connector to your wiring harness, and might have to get that from salvage, but I can’t see the photo.

Good luck, and nice truck!

The connector and timing cover gaskets are in the mail :) . Such a headache but will be that much more reliable when I'm done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A2B4934C-AB9B-4BCB-BB95-5E10662C1636.jpeg
BF053E47-425F-41E6-9853-F731CD6A41CA.jpeg
C5B64B80-7D50-4D05-98F2-BFC0C6D3555D.jpeg
E7768133-38E0-47E5-B9CD-2DA88696A954.jpeg
5CC5D7FF-BD7F-4B2B-A662-88AA816A0F79.jpeg

Getting closer. Water pump off no broken bolts After I torched them and the thermostat housing off and cleaned up.

I’m like 99% sure l it was the original thermostat that came in the car I think it got stuck closed it took me like 10 minutes to pry it out of the housing it was seized with scale to it. Waterpump is 100% the original. I got my crankshaft position sensor connector In and the timing cover gaskets. Never gone this far in an engine and I’m trying to make sure I do everything I should to avoid having to do this again in the next decade 😅. I really need this vehicle to be reliable for next few years it’s no longer just a fun project. So I have a new...

Water pump
Thermostat
Timing Cover gaskets

does it make sense to go ahead and change timing chain, harmonic balancer, cam sync while I’m here?

what can I clean all this with? The timing cover and stuff? It’s got about 23 years and 170k miles of neglect covering everything on the cover 😒

Back