97 Sport build number 2 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Sport build number 2

Break the chain
I used a rag and some bolt cutters
Leave the bracket but remove all the plastic and stuff

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So Got the Engine back into the Engine bay. Also got Trans hooked back up. Yes I had trans out also. Needed to fix pan gasket. Now just a matter of getting her back together, and fluids put in. Hoping I put everything back in the right way.
New 97 61.jpeg
:rolleyes:
I cleaned the engine a little Got the maint Gunk off her. Just taking her one step at a time. Kinda sucks when you are only able to work on her on weekends.

Since your thread melded into our off road pics / vids I thought I'd post what I came across upon arrival at "my spot" today.... a TJ forced into "pause mode" going down steep hairball hill laden with boulders and deep ruts, .... note rear passenger wheel airborne. I thought for sure I was going to witness this guy dying or at the best case scenario his jumping out only to have the Jeep tumble down the hill... Fortunately some of his buddies rushed up and removed/rolled a giant boulder that was impeding best line down (the better of poor options) and with a spotter he still barely got down alive. Was praying big time for the guy...
NEAR DEATH.jpg

So got a little more done on my Engine. Takes a little while when only home on weekends :) But she is coming along slowly. One thing I did have to do is replace the wiring into the Injectors. I did not even think about it when I was getting the new to me motor. :) So Off to the junk yard to get newer style for my motor. But she is coming along slowly but surly.
New 97 64.jpeg

New 97 63.jpeg

New 97 62.jpeg

My .2¢
Take your upper intake before you install it
The threads in the upper intake fight the threads on the lower intake stripping the lower intake threads .....hand tight only ...
The lower intake threads are the only ones that count
My solution
I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the upper intake holes
1/4 bit will only remove the threads
Then install your upper intake as normal .......hand tight only.....!!!
This will save you $100 on a lower intake

Been there

My .2¢
Take your upper intake before you install it
The threads in the upper intake fight the threads on the lower intake stripping the lower intake threads .....hand tight only ...
The lower intake threads are the only ones that count
My solution
I used a 1/4" drill bit and drilled the upper intake holes
1/4 bit will only remove the threads
Then install your upper intake as normal .......hand tight only.....!!!
This will save you $100 on a lower intake

Been there
Thank you sir. I will do that before installing the Upper intake. Any help is great help. Some days I feel like I am in over my head LOL. One day at a time. Once I finish and it works I know I can do it again. IF I need to.

So I was able to get a lot farther this weekend. To finish I need to finish exhaust, put in TCase, add oil, anti freeze, trans Fluid, power steering fluid.
8BEDF831-CC69-489B-8D84-409E48D0A636.jpeg
134EEFBF-70F2-4C58-8D89-6151B6039FCF.jpeg

Can’t wait to start her and see how she runs.

So question for you all. I have antifreeze leaking from the back of my engine between the trans and engine. Anyone have an idea what it could be?

So question for you all. I have antifreeze leaking from the back of my engine between the trans and engine. Anyone have an idea what it could be?
I had coolant leaking from what looked like back of engine on passenger side. Turned out to be thermostat housing in front it just ran down the block to make it appear as a rear leak. See if you have any build-up on the housing or sensors if so that is more than likely the cause.

if it is the Tstat housing, consider replacing w the simmonz autosport one thats alluminum iirc... unless its not damaged just seal leaking... then keep what you have now and forget i said anytbing ;)

Take a look at your choices

OK I will check the Tstat and let you all know. But I have a feeling the Timing chains also went out after I replaced them. If that is the case anyone want to buy a 97 explorer? Cheap Needs engine work LOL

did the engine come with a warranty? hope it wasnt the chains

did the engine come with a warranty? hope it wasnt the chains
I went out and started it again today and it was fine. Right now all is good. I will get Tstat fixed its a new one so thinking the gasket got messed up when I was putting back in. Get that fixed and then try again. It was a motor I got from Pull and Pay so I replaced the chains on it my self.

oh alright :) glad to hear its probably fine! ive messed up the tstat install before! keep us posted!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well fixed Tstat and it does not leak anymore (That I can see) BUT she still does not stay running. SO I am thinking I have the wrong Harmonic Balancer on her. I put the 06 harmonic balancer on her and I got the code P0340. SO this weekend I will out my old one back on and the old Positions sensor and hope that will fix it. If that is right. I did google it and it was a Cam position sensor. Can someone advise? Thanks

Back