97 Sport build number 2 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Sport build number 2

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I think / whine about how slow my ohv 4.0 is I think of the "other" 4.0 .... not to make you / or others feel bad but... get's me over my whining quick.... 😐 ...it will possibly out-live me.... especially being a secondary vehicle...

When I think / whine about how slow my ohv 4.0 is I think of the "other" 4.0 .... not to make you / or others feel bad but... get's me over my whining quick.... 😐 ...it will possibly out-live me.... especially being a secondary vehicle...

I have thought about getting the OHV 4.0 to put in. I have had 4 others and had no issues accept oil leaks. I have 4.10 gears in my axles now and I am not really needing it for speed. Just going out and having fun on the trails. In 4low she goes just about anywhere. :)

There ya go.... the ohv has good torque and with a K&N on her it adds a few ponies and is more responsive... it does have some decent response/ "go" in it's power band / sweet spot... good enough for my needs.
And like you it's mainly an off road rig so ......

Not a horrible idea, a little less possible trouble to deal with in the future. Either way is a decent choice, look around for both with good pricing and in good condition, pick from there. Good luck on the swap to either 4.0, keep us posted!

How about fixing it
Then change the oil more often
Look how the old overused oil killed your guides
Fresh oil all the time and ...
Just my small amount of knowledge I have on the sock motor

How about fixing it
Then change the oil more often
Look how the old overused oil killed your guides
Fresh oil all the time and ...
Just my small amount of knowledge I have on the sock motor
When I bought Her I did an oil change. I only had about 1500 miles on the oil change. For me it is a toss up on what to do. Get an 07 or newer 4.0 sohc replace the cassettes and gaskets and go that route or get the 97 4.0 ohv and wiring harness and plug her in. Would like to do the easiest way to have her last a while longer for me. As for my old motor I think some bearings were thrown and I do not want to go that deep to fix the motor. So I will be replacing my motor. Which one still in the air a little.

i'd fix what you have and reinstall ......not hard you have the engine out ..
I'd also use manual tensioner s
if you like to forget about timing chains
I wouldn't do the ohv just saying imo

i'd fix what you have and reinstall ......not hard you have the engine out ..
I'd also use manual tensioner s
if you like to forget about timing chains
I wouldn't do the ohv just saying imo
Even replacing the Rod Bearings in her?

The tensioner leaf springs in your oil pan picture?
Normally no need to touch anything unless you have bent valves
Then I'd go the junkyard engine and new timing set route

The tensioner leaf springs in your oil pan picture?
Normally no need to touch anything unless you have bent valves
Then I'd go the junkyard engine and new timing set route
OK Thanks I really thought that was a thrown bearing. When I was turning it to get the torque converter bolts off I heard some noise that was inside the motor. Not sure how to explain it. I guess what I really need to do is put her on an engine stand and see what the heck is going on.

OK Question you all. Would it make a difference if I get a Mustang 4.0 sohc or one from an Explorer or Ranger. I am planning to see if I can find one that has 80 to 90 Thousand miles on them. I am hoping anyway. But was just wondering if there is a difference between the two. I am heading to the JY to look for one Saturday. Thanks.

love the build! how are the 3" keys working out for you? ive heard not to go over 2" for the life of the 4wd cvs (which i assume you have because you went to a 1354) i currently have 2" but i would be interested in another inch!

love the build! how are the 3" keys working out for you? ive heard not to go over 2" for the life of the 4wd cvs (which i assume you have because you went to a 1354) i currently have 2" but i would be interested in another inch!
So Far I have not had any issues with it up to 3". I have Limiting Straps to make sure they do not go any further then the 3" and have had no issues. A little rough as in ride but I am happy with it. I am starting to build up parts to do an SAS. but that will probably next winters project.

So I was able to get another motor for her. BUT I need to get things for the motor. Timing chain guides and will be getting her fresh oil also. Engine seems pretty clean. I can see that the Tensioners have never been changed at all. So here is what her new heart (as my son likes to say) looks like. By the way the motor came from an 06 Explorer.
New 97 60.jpeg

New 97 59.jpeg

I will be cleaning up the motor really good also before going into her new home.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question you all. The part I have circled, do I really need to keep it in there and the chain hooked to it? I have seen videos of it and the guy was saying you did not need it at all. Just wanted to make sure it is not needed or If I need to keep it there. Thanks all.
New 97 59_LI.jpg

Back