2016-2019 Sony DSP to 500 watt Platinum DSP upgrade possible? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016-2019 Sony DSP to 500 watt Platinum DSP upgrade possible?

Don Wilson

Reaction score
City, State
State College
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST/2005 XLT Sport
Hello everyone! New poster here so please forgive me for lack of accuracy.

I'm also new to modular Infotainment systems but have a vast history with old-school tech. I'm trying to apply my years of electronics knowledge to understand all the pieces-parts. I've also attempted to scour this forum for information before posting.

What I'm looking to do is upgrade the stock Sony in a 2017 Limited w/NAV to the Platinum system. I believe that they're both 12-speaker systems (but may be different drivers) and they both have the same basic modules, and assuming the wiring is all the same, it would seem that one could just replace the modules that are different and possibly re-program any that are needed. I was looking for a part number source to understand the base number differences in modules and speakers to determine which need focus or even if it's worth it. From what I know and what I read, I would think that the DSP module is the heart of the 'Live Acoustics' and 'Clear Phase Technology' difference. And the difference is wattage is simply the DPS (IMO).

Anyone ever attempt of do this? I'm finding information on the premium plus to Sony upgrades, but not anything relative to the Platinum. Did Ford do something special to not allow this to happen? Do the modules use VIN's at all to be read and match the vehicle? This is where I really lack...

Could someone please nudge me in the right direction - or let me know it's just not possible - so I can abandon this idea?

Thanks
Don

'05 XLT V8 Sport Sight & Sound Pkg 275K+
'17 Limited NAV Roof

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don, welcome to the forum.

Not sure what you want to upgrade, but I just upgraded all the speakers in my 18 Limited with Sony system.

Welcome to the Forum Don.:wave:

Peter

Thanks everyone!

Since the system has it's limitations on what can be upgraded without losing some basic functionality - like the CAN bus FDIM / ACM / SCCM volume controls - I was trying to stick to upgrades without deviating from these basic things. I could look at driver upgrades, yes, and I might. But I thought maybe the extra work that went into the Platinum system with the live acoustics, etc. might be an easy plug-n-play upgrade. Maybe not though - and that's what I'm investigating.

Thanks!
Don

Welcome to the Forum Don.:wave:

Peter

Hi Peter,

I just noticed that you have a 2017 Platinum... By chance would you have the part numbers of your DSP, APIM, and ACM from a ForScan report? I thought I would start there and see which have different base numbers. Then I want to look to see if the 12 drivers are different.

Thanks
Don

I am intrigued by your desire to upgrade your system or look into it anyway.

I know I have the 390 watt Sony system. The Platinum has the 500 watt Sony system (I think). Maybe you just need that Amp? Maybe it is speakers?

I posted the specs of all the speakers in my install thread. I know I have said it before, but changing out all the speakers made a huge difference in sound for me. I know they say 12 speakers but there really are just 10.

Found these:

Sony Sound System VS Platnium System

https://www.motortrend.com/news/sou...-explorer-platinum-uses-sony-home-audio-tech/

Thanks MM07 for the update and pointing out the other links on the matter. I did find those links and it's a bit too extreme for me... outside my desire to modify and spend hundreds and hundreds on upgrades. Although I bet there's a dramatic improvement from the tons of perfect work... he did a great job!

You did a great job too with detailed pictures and explanations during the process. I think it's still a bit much for me at this point. I'm really looking for staging improvements and think the DSP replacement is the 1st step. Then determine what else needs attention.

I'm not opposed to spending some money on a 'Platinum' upgrade, including speakers where needed. I like your approach the best so far. It seems to have kept the original car intact. I just don't want to modify the original car - yet anyway. I'm still considering a vehicle trade-up to a Platinum. There are a lot of other things I like about the Platinum package... ;)

Thanks
Don

Also, I am wondering if the 390 watt vs. the 500 watt system is the total speaker wattage. If I added mine up it is 300 watts without the sub wattage (it doesn't say it on the sub).

I have been looking at the FORScan changes for ACM as well. Mine has the Sony DSP enabled. But there are other options...

I know that some others upgrades are way out of my league too, but I decided to do the speakers because I knew I could.

Hi Peter,

I just noticed that you have a 2017 Platinum... By chance would you have the part numbers of your DSP, APIM, and ACM from a ForScan report? I thought I would start there and see which have different base numbers. Then I want to look to see if the 12 drivers are different.

Thanks
Don
Sorry, Don. I don't have FORScan.

Back