2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 47 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Olina, did you file a complaint with the NHTSA?

Clearly this reflash which does nothing to prevent the failures is just a way for Ford to weasel their way out of a $1,800 repair per vehicle recall.

As much as I love Ford and like to defend them (on my 6th Ford and will be 7th next year), this crap is ridiculous and customers should not have to pay for it.

Cooling fans, leaking roofs, power steering failures and exhaust smell!!! 4 things that are pure design/manufacturing defects.
-------

Crystal, loaded gun and I know you can't answer this.. but come on, this crap should not be happening on a 5th MY design. We as customers should not be paying for these failures. One customer should not get it covered and another get screwed with a repair bill.

We know there has to be a line drawn when one is out of warranty. But the rate of failure on this crap is not typical of a part failure. We should not be expected to have to replace our whole power steering system on a 3-4 year old vehicle. And I do not care what manufacturer it is.

It is crap like this that really pisses off loyal customers (which i am one).

Thank you blwnsmoke! Yes I will follow you guys to file a complaint.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oldschool, please make sure you file a complaint as well. The NHTSA needs to be made aware of the failures continuing after the update is performed.

Ford is being investigated again on the Edge for software not going far enough. Even though a different system, they are having epas failures too.

Bring back the damn belt driven power steering pumps!!!

Everyone needs to shout about this issue. Although I have an esp, I think about a failure everytime I drive my Ex.. and when my wife with 1 and 4 yr old.. I'm just waiting for an accident!!

I did, got a copy of it filed away with my repair invoice.

I called the Ford CS again trying to get the gear repair covered by the Recall 12month/12K warranty. The next level support still rejected my case with the exact same reason: the software update was done for the recall so no more coverage, no warranty for parts because no parts was replaced during Recall Service, and the reject is final....

I asked if the error message is still there and appears even more often after the software update was done, would you considered the Recall was done successfully? I got no real answer for this and no clear explanation, she simply repeated that the software was updated and it is done!

It seems it was just wasting my time to discuss this issue with Ford...sigh..

So the only things left for me is to file the complaints.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who tried to help me out.

Olina

Since the matter is closed with Ford, file a small claims case against them. Submit the recall information with the wording, submit your dealer work orders and sue them. Lwt them fly an attorney out to your state and show up in court. Print off the 47 pages on here and print off all the NHTSA complaints and submit as well. Then see who wins by swaying the judge by 51%. It is worth the $50-$100 to file and you get your fees back if you win.

Dont back down!!

Since the matter is closed with Ford, file a small claims case against them. Submit the recall information with the wording, submit your dealer work orders and sue them. Lwt them fly an attorney out to your state and show up in court. Print off the 47 pages on here and print off all the NHTSA complaints and submit as well. Then see who wins by swaying the judge by 51%. It is worth the $50-$100 to file and you get your fees back if you win.

Dont back down!!

Good idea!

My 2011 Explorer Limited had the reflash done in August of 2014. Still had intermittent failures that all were addressed by cycling the engine off then back on. Yesterday the problem persisted and would not go away. Had the vehicle piggybacked to the purchasing dealership (Berglund Ford, Salem, VA). Hoping that they will take the appropriate steps to address the problem. Thus far they have given me excellent service on the vehicle.

My 2011 Explorer Limited had the reflash done in August of 2014. Still had intermittent failures that all were addressed by cycling the engine off then back on. Yesterday the problem persisted and would not go away. Had the vehicle piggybacked to the purchasing dealership (Berglund Ford, Salem, VA). Hoping that they will take the appropriate steps to address the problem. Thus far they have given me excellent service on the vehicle.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Unless you get a different answer from Ford than those that found themselves in the same situation, be prepared to lay out $1500 - $1700 for the repair. Ford has consistently maintained that having the 'reflash' done meant the recall was completed. Please report back as to what the dealer says. The Ford rep here, Crystal (FordService), may or may not be able to help you. In the meantime, make sure that you file a complaint with the NHTSA.
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Peter

Welcome to the site, PastorMarkCary; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. It sounds like there's a fantastic dealership working on this for you. What's the current mileage on your Explorer? Come back and tell us when you get any news from the dealer so I can research ways to help, if needed.

Crystal

Welcome to the site, PastorMarkCary; I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. It sounds like there's a fantastic dealership working on this for you. What's the current mileage on your Explorer? Come back and tell us when you get any news from the dealer so I can research ways to help, if needed.

Crystal

Crystal, my Explorer has just over 120K miles on it.

The steering on my 2011 Ex is now intermittently locked up on start up. Haven't had the recall done yet, and looks like it was a good thing to wait a while.

It's headed into the dealership soon.

The steering on my 2011 Ex is now intermittently locked up on start up. Haven't had the recall done yet, and looks like it was a good thing to wait a while.

It's headed into the dealership soon.
I would suggest insisting on the steering rack replacement and forget the software update based on the many posts here saying the update really does nothing to correct the issue. If they do the update and the problem re-occurs, Ford will consider the recall completed because of the update and you could be on the hook for a $1500 - $1700 bill to replace the rack. Just my thoughts.

Peter

Just got a call from the dealership informing me that the steering gear needs to be replaced on my 2011 Explorer. Part is in CA and will take 7-8 business days to get here. I was informed that this will be my responsibility since the vehicle has 120K miles. Total I'm looking at is right at $1,800.00. Kind of strange to me that an NHTSA Safety Recall expires due to mileage. Crystal, any help/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Just got a call from the dealership informing me that the steering gear needs to be replaced on my 2011 Explorer. Part is in CA and will take 7-8 business days to get here. I was informed that this will be my responsibility since the vehicle has 120K miles. Total I'm looking at is right at $1,800.00. Kind of strange to me that an NHTSA Safety Recall expires due to mileage. Crystal, any help/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

The recall does not expire due to mileage.. in Ford's eyes, you had the software refreshed which satisfied the recall. Now that you are having the issue, you are no longer under warranty and are not covered by the recall a 2nd time.

As stated above, the reflash is not working and FORD SHOULD BE FIXING THIS!!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

...Crystal, any help/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Hi PastorMarkCary,

As a next step, I'd recommend speaking with your dealership to see if they'd be willing to work with you on the cost of the repair. You can also get a second opinion from a different Ford Dealership if you'd like. Enter your ZIP code here to find some local options: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really, my 2011 Explorer limited whose steering went stiff right before my wife's side swiping a telephone pole to the tune of $10,500 and then the power steering was found not to be working and repaired by Schultz Ford Nanuet ,NY to the tune of a additional $2,011 to replace the power steering rack, No one could confirm the steering was not working properly before the collision. I look at it this way. My 2002 windstar had rust problems and Ford rented me a car for 5 months until they could repair my rear axel. My 2011 Escape had to have the throttle body replaced because of a rust problem. My 2011 Explorer AWD had failed just days before a power steering failure caused $10,500 in damages plus the steering rack having to be replaced and the dealer reports that at 28,400 miles that the rear brakes on my Explorer are worn down to less than three mm and need be replaced ( I found out that corrosion under the stainless steer clips cause the problem), Ford has been building cars for a very long time and as my son in law told me his Subaru and his Toyota have never been subject to a recall just normal maintenance,,,should my next car be a ford?

Back