2016 Limited or Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Limited or Sport

Update**

We are going to test drive the sport early this week and will make a decision. The parallel parking is nice but we wouldn't use it very often. I like the idea of the extra Torque and HP but until we drive them both one right after the other we just cannot decide. I will keep you updated. BTW someone mentioned no power rear seats in the sport and it is a "standard" option according to www.ford.com think the only options we will miss are the parking and massage seat options.

Thanks again and continue to add any thoughts you can!

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm loving my '16 Limited so far. Of course, it's a new car. I still haven't tested the park assist. I plan to soon.

Update**

We are going to test drive the sport early this week and will make a decision. The parallel parking is nice but we wouldn't use it very often. I like the idea of the extra Torque and HP but until we drive them both one right after the other we just cannot decide. I will keep you updated. BTW someone mentioned no power rear seats in the sport and it is a "standard" option according to www.ford.com/url] think the only op... SYNC 3 so I will wait till March for a 2017.

sport...sport...SPORT....(i am biased) :D

did anyone confirm whether the 2016 Sport has HID headlights? The Limited does have them (at least as an option). I have a 2015 Sport and the stock halogens are terrible. You can upgrade the bulbs on your own or chop and wire in an HID kit, but none of that will beat factory HIDs. I would still get the non-HID Sport again for the 365HP, but it was inexcusable for Ford to have such low quality stock headlights in the Sport.

did anyone confirm whether the 2016 Sport has HID headlights? The Limited does have them (at least as an option). I have a 2015 Sport and the stock halogens are terrible. You can upgrade the bulbs on your own or chop and wire in an HID kit, but none of that will beat factory HIDs. I would still get the non-HID Sport again for the 365HP, but it was inexcusable for Ford to have such low quality stock headlights in the Sport.
To the best of my knowledge, non of the 2016 models offer HID headlamps, even as an option. They also are not listed on the Order Guide. The Platinum has LED low beams and halogen high beams.

Peter

sport...sport...SPORT....(i am biased) :D

I agree, and to be honest, the Sport is the only reason I looked at the Explorers.

If some chose the Sport for the extra power, don't forget that the 2016 Platinum has the same engine and tuned suspension.

Peter

If some chose the Sport for the extra power, don't forget that the 2016 Platinum has the same engine and tuned suspension.

Peter

Interesting; I didn't realize the Platinum has the same suspension as the Sport. I like this.

Interesting; I didn't realize the Platinum has the same suspension as the Sport. I like this.

The Platinum is basically a Limited and Sport slapped together with the addition of Nirvana leather... and that's all that's really different function wise anyway.

Also, in response to a comment above, I believe all 2016 models have LED low beams standard.

Peter

Wrong

Different AWD, EPAS, PTU programming along with different suspension hardware.

Sits 20mm lower

Has wider wheels

Platinum is the EcoBoost V6 Limited.

Wrong

Sits 20mm lower

Has wider wheels

I was going by what I read in one of the reviews I read on the Platinum. I did not have any first hand knowledge of the 'tuned suspension' statement.

Peter

Going to test drive the sport today. The wifey is definitely leaning towards the limited but we shall see. We will be thrilled either way and it will be her daily driver so I'm good with whatever. Two quick questions though:

1) Can anyone confirm Auto-High Beam is or isn't an available sport option?

2) Can anyone confirm that Rain sensing wipers is/isn't a sport option?

I don't see either on www.ford.com but it hasn't been 100% reliable either.

Thanks,

Joe

Going to test drive the sport today. The wifey is definitely leaning towards the limited but we shall see. We will be thrilled either way and it will be her daily driver so I'm good with whatever. Two quick questions though:

Thanks,

Joe
Hi Joe. I don't see either feature being available for the 2016 Sport according to the Order Guide.

Peter

Thanks,

Joe

I'm pretty sure you can get everything except the nirvana leather, interior badging on the steering wheel and the grill (which is different for each model). I could be wrong, not positive but I think those above options are in one of the packages.

Let us know what you decide. My vote is for Sport over the limited:D

SPORT all the way!!

I honestly don't know why this is even a thread on here. If you're even considering the sport, get the sport! I have a 2015 model and absolutely love it! I wouldn't trade the look and feel of it for anything in the world, except maybe a Platinum since they have the same engine. Knowing that you can take some Sports cars off the line, while in a HUGE SUV, is AWESOME!
Get a Sport and you won't be sorry!

Wrong

Sits 20mm lower

Has wider wheels

For the Platinum, don't confuse having the same engine with having all the Sport mods. 'Sport' is not just a trim package with a different engine. It is an Explorer with fundamental differences from other Explorer models, built for drivers and lacking some of the amenities and ride characteristics available on the other models. I have no clue regarding the Platinum content because the Platinum is not at all aligned with our driving interests or taste in auto trim. Maybe the Platinum has all the Sport mods, but to me this would be at cross purposes for the Platinum's general target customer base.

Thanks to SR71 for putting together most of this info on the Sport differences. Check thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429874l for more details. These are Sport versus XLT. No idea regarding the Platinum. Versus the XLT:

- Sport has quick steering (17-1 ratio ) = 2.7 turns - lock to lock
- Sport has modified EPAS programming
- Sport has a 4-point transmission tunnel brace + the front shock towers are tied together (front strut brace) = increased lateral stiffness = less body flex, better steering response and less tendency for structure born noise.
- Sport’s terrain management system is calibrated to allow 50 percent of the torque to flow to the rear axle in the conventional dry-road setting. Limited AWD in contrast passes 35 percent to the rear.
- To handle the additional heat generated by the more aggressive torque distribution, the Sport power takeoff unit is water-cooled (pulls water from the main radiator cooling loop).
- The Sport suspension is optimized for handling with better springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings.
- The Sport suspension is lowered 20mm and the rear uses new "cross-axis" ball joints to improve cornering response.
- The Sport has 9" wide 20" wheels versus 8.5" wide 20" wheels on XLT

As I said, I have no clue how many of the Sport mods made it into the Platinum. What's obvious for my wife and me is that if Ford did not offer the Sport, we would not have considered an Explorer at all. It's clear the Sport is a niche vehicle that will not appeal to everyone. Different strokes for different folks.

Guys we are sticking with the Limited Explorer. Keep in mind that this will be my wife's daily driver so "Knowing that you can take some Sports cars off the line, while in a HUGE SUV" doesn't do anything to sway her :).

To help sum up the purpose of the thread here are some of the differences that we noticed. The list is mostly options that are not available on the 2016 Sport but are available on the 2016 Limited.

Auto High Beam is not a sport option.
Rain sensing wipers is not a sport option.
2nd row heated seats is not a sport option.
Enhanced Active Park Assist is not a sport option.
Multi Contour Seats are not a sport option.(Lumbar is available)

I like the Sport and what it offers but to pay more and loose multiple features important to the Mrs is not worth it to us. Happy Wife-Happy Life

Thanks for the help,

Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

. . . The list is mostly options that are not available on the 2016 Sport but are available on the 2016 Limited.

Auto High Beam is not a sport option.
Rain sensing wipers is not a sport option.
2nd row heated seats is not a sport option.
Enhanced Active Park Assist is not a sport option.
Multi Contour Seats are not a sport option.(Lumbar is available)

I like the Sport and what it offers but to pay more and loose multiple features important to the Mrs is not worth it to us. . . .
Thanks for the help,

Joe
Thanks for listing the options not available on the Sport. I knew there were several which are important to a lot of Explo buyers. I'll add these to the compilation list above along with a link for this thread and we'll have a good reference ready for future questions.

Rgds, Fred

Back