• Register Today It's free!

2WD Off-Roading near Moab?

ford norseman

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Hello Gents. The wife and I are considering a road trip from Minneapolis to Phoenix, with an extended stop in Moab Utah next month. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with the trails around Moab.

Normally we would take the 02 Explorer for a trip like this, but the plan is to haul a Harley back from Phoenix, so we have to take my truck. So, what I'm looking for is a pretty tame trail with some good scenic views that would be ok for my 2wd. I don't want to have to force my truck through anything hairy, since I will still have to drive it all the way home. From my online searching it looks like Chicken Corners might be doable. What do you guys think? Suggestions?

My truck is a 2004 F150 supercab 2WD, with stock suspension, P265/70r17 Destination AT tires, and a detroit True-Trac in the rear end.

There are many trails (gravel roads) around Moab you can do in a 2wd pickup. Chicken Corners is easy. Get the Utah 4 wheeling book. I fortgot the name but someone will know. It is available on this site if there is still a bookstore. Hit up Arches NP while there.

My family and I were just at Moab not long ago, and the first half of Onion Creek could be easily done in a 4x2 F150 (first half is basically just creek crossings, but it's fun if you go early and blow through them). Second half of Onion Creek has some rocky grades with fairly tight turns so I wouldn't recommend it. For reference - if you come to a bridge, I'd turn around, and the trail is generally big enough that you could turn around before then as well if you thought it was best. Arches is definitely nice - you might be able to get away with doing Long Canyon on the turn trip from Arches.

I'd recommend using Trail Damage (Utah Trails are toward the bottom) to research the trails.

Here's their map of where the trails are located.

Thanks for the info guys. That is exactly What I was looking for! Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corners sounds perfect.

We are definitely going to Arches. Long Canyon sounds cool, but in a fullsize 2wd truck, it makes me a little nervous. FLOffroad, have you done Long Canyon? Do you think I'd have any issues?

Back