3800 M90 Build | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3800 M90 Build

Ok the cats out the bag!!im going supercharged .its a 3800 gm m90.i need lots of help as im a nos guy.for starters my list of mods is in my signature.the guy im buying it from ran it on a stock tuned motor at 3psi.first question is what is the "safe" limit to run boost at?i know it is not ideal but i have a wide band O2 and will be doing tuning very soon.i also will be trying to have my company make a new lower intake mounting bracket on the cnc machine and have it taped for nos/water meth injectors/spray bars.i will also be getting a p+p unit from 3800 performance and stepping down on the pulley to try and run 8-10psi.what size injectors should i run for that?which fuel pump should i run?any suggestions on tuning?i was going to go mega squirt but i see sct has a new chip out,any suggestions?

DONE

ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

dyno run,these was the last two pulls with the 2.7 and the alternator was bad.turn your volume down!!

and a 3.25 pull and think my rev is still set to 5000 in this one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Everyone stop and was watching,I was slinging mud like 20 feet in the air sitting in one spot just digging!!;)

:biggthump

Ah, Love it!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

digging the future 5 speed swap :thumbsup:

Going to be awile but yea i cant wait,im doing the 2.9 so ill gain alittle more in first also;)

I guess this is a dumb question, but whats the 2.9 ?
Not the 5 speed off the 2.9 litre 2 wheel drive. I don't see another reference to it.

I guess this is a dumb question, but whats the 2.9 ?
Not the 5 speed off the 2.9 litre 2 wheel drive. I don't see another reference to it.

Yep sure is or 4x4. Its the same trans as m5od but has a lower first gear;)

Mitsubishi FM146 then.
Got it. Im guessing its a tough tranny. Bolt right on? Back to tuning? Ah, here we go again.

Mitsubishi FM146 then.
Got it. Im guessing its a tough tranny. Bolt right on? Back to tuning? Ah, here we go again.

Yep direct bolt up;) will help with my tires too.i should have gone 5.13. The ratio wont help with dyno but just having a 5speed will;) dont think any changes in tune will have to be done,ill see after this trip,may have him put more timing back in.im pretty happy with the tune,a/f is dead on and no detention at all with either pulley but i have 4 tunes so he coved EVERYTHING .ill have the belt slip and new high amp alt in to,hoping to see about 20hp increase.;)belt slip is pretty bad honestly :(

Mitsubishi FM146 then.

Yep direct bolt up;) will help with my tires too.i should have gone 5.13. The ratio wont help with dyno but just having a 5speed will;) dont think any changes in tune will have to be done,ill see after this trip,may have him put more timing back in.im pretty happy with the tune,a/f is dead on and no detention at all with either pulley but i have 4 tunes so he coved EVERYTHING .ill have the belt slip and new high amp alt in to,hoping to see about 20hp increase.;)belt slip is pretty bad honestly :(

Xeek...You next? Lets bolt one on to yours now.
We could find you an older SC off a Supercoupe like I'm using pretty cheep. The SC is the cheep part though. Id say that Im still below $2000.00 on the whole thing.
i would prob do a blown 347 stroker if im to ever get a blower :D
but it would go in a dd type truck, not this one.

Did you put temp sensors before and after intercooler? I kinda doubt it, but it would have been cool to see the difference in temps. Using ambient temp against lower manifold temp will still give us an idea.
im seeing lower temps after the sc than coming in.i added a heat shield/splash guard now so temps are a little lower,before i still havent seen after charger temps above 130ish.here is a pic of my gauge,(in)top is the senor in the tb bracket and(out) bottom is after the charge

at a red light
2012-06-14141054.jpg

and driving
2012-06-12092109.jpg

Do you have your boost gauge hooked up? Whats max boost psi? I'm betting pretty low (Just because your motor flows so well).

you would have been partially right,before my rev limiter was raised i was much lower on boost.here is a graph of boost.stock red line is 5000,you can see where i would have been at if that was as high as i took it.he wanted to go even higher because i was still making GOOD power and the line wasnt flatting off.said my cam and springs would have handle even more.at 5000rpms with 3.25 i made 4lbs,at 6000rpms i made 6.4lbs.with 2.7 at 5000rpms i made 7.5 lbs and at 6000 i made 9lbs .these are runs 4,6 and 7
2012-06-12210140.jpg

you'll prob get some more boost once you fix the belt wrap and the belt stops slipping.
exactly what he said,why he suggest adding another pulley.said i could see 10-15 hp.its gotten even worse now that the belts have been used alot.when you start it it barks at you and if your sitting and rev it real quick it barks and will stumble.they ddint have the exact size belt i need so im sure thats not helping,need like a size shorter by part number.like a 1/4 or something

I have a hard time believing that the low temps are all to do with your inter-cooler. That's amazing.

It has to have quite a bit to do with your newer generation SC, and all the work that was done to it.

Those temps are amazing, compared to the temps I'm seeing. I guess thats why even the ford factory Supercoups's had air to air inter-coolers way back in 1970. They obviously made a big enough difference for the manufacturer to go to all that extra effort.

Its just not going to happen on my setup though. If I could figure out a way to do it without cutting my hood, or a body lift. I would do it.

I have a hard time believing that the low temps are all to do with your inter-cooler. That's amazing.

It has to have quite a bit to do with your newer generation SC, and all the work that was done to it.

Those temps are amazing, compared to the temps I'm seeing. I guess thats why even the ford factory Supercoups's had air to air inter-coolers way back in 1970. They obviously made a big enough difference for the manufacturer to go to all that extra effort.

Its just not going to happen on my setup though. If I could figure out a way to do it without cutting my hood, or a body lift. I would do it.

O yea for sure.they advertise a 38* drop in housing temps alone,dont know what that translates to output temps tho.they say the short stack ic drops 30-70*.i need to get the inlet temps down some more.im seeing about 90-100* temps now with the heat shield/splash guard,seeing even lower after charger.saw 118* for a WOT pull today;)these are all temps with the 2.7 pulley

well im back from my trip,i put 547 miles on it and didnt have a single problem;)ive gota get that belt slip fixed,thats my next project with my fan not working all the time!!thing ran great and man the power is crazy!!i drove to Richmond with the 3.25 pulley on and had about a extra 1000lbs in the truck,i would guess the truck weighs in about 7500lbs now:( i got about 22mpg then from there we drove to the mountains and i got 14.5mpg.thats better than i got last year and i was atleast 500lbs lighter then.its pretty crazy,driving in the mountains you could watch the boost gauge.as the truck went up hill or got under a load the gauge would go from reading vacuum to reading boost and would pull right up the mountains with out even shifting out of OD!when i got there i unloaded and swapped pullies to the 2.7 and man what a difference;)thing would pull up the mountain like you was on flat ground.i would play around and get into higher boost 8-9 and man to be able to just pull up it like it was nothing,i swear i couldnt smile any bigger!!!!:D:Dthe boost made a world of difference off roading to,really got the tires up and spinning with easy.

all and all im VERY happy with the truck,was it worth all the cash????well to your average person,absolutely not!!!BUT to me it is now,the money would have been spent on something else and this truck aint going no where for awile and has put a smile on my face every time i have driven it.who can put a price on happiness especially when it keeps giving.plus come on its FREAKN SICK!!not one person that has looked at it not gone"DAMN THATS SICK"!and as far as i know i AM the only first gen GM-supercharged- intercooled- m90 in the world:D:Dlol ill post some updates when i get this extra pulley figured out
:burnout::burnout::burnout:

i would also like to send out a big thank you to EVERY ONE that has helped and commented in this thread and i would like to personally thank James,Don,Chris and Rocket for ALL there help.it has been a very stressful build as i was under a very tight dead line and i appreciate yall alot,THANK YOU:salute:

It's a beautiful thing. Solid build JD.
Congratulations.

<--- is jealous! I would love to have the income to spend and time for a project.

The sc as a package start to finish cost you $5-8k? (including everything)

I look at your motor and drool.

Again another amazing project! :thumbsup:

Thank you man!:salute:

Back