Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

4.0 OHV into 4.0 24v COSWORTH

Discussion in 'Need for Speed!' started by Tobbe, January 13, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Tobbe

Tobbe New Member

City, State:
      Sundsvall, Sweden
      Haven't been in here for ages...... To make a 3.7 version of a 2.9 isn't the best solution, it is very expensive and it will brake. It uses a 2.9 block bored into 95mm, 4.0 crank stroked into 86mm, opel frontera 2.4 pistons, 2.9 rods with a small end bushed into 22mm. There are so much material turned off the crank for clearance so it will need an extrernal balance, the piston squirts are milled for clearance for the crank, even the liners are milled for clearance for the crank.. And if you rev it up to 6000rpm you might get a rod comming out of the side.

The 4.0 24v options is the cheapiest solution, and at least where I live the 2.9 24v is very rare so no technition the mot will not notice if you got a 4.0 24v in the car......

I'll give you an update later on my 4.0 and 4.1 engine.....

But there are several people that are building 4.0 24v engines now, hopefully they will be finished soon.

And I do also know that Cory got something really special, wow is the word that came into my mind when I found pictures of a few of his bits on a racing forum....

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Cossie

Cossie New Member

Thx for all the answars!

I understand that it is not good to make a 3,7 or 4,0 out of my 2,9.
      It is better to use a 4,0, but in Denmark is it not possible, because of the tax I have to pay about 60.000 $. So I can´t use any of them, but it is very interesting any way.

I think I have to change my 2,9 into a 3,3 only with new pistons,arank and rod and other stuff.
      I will read about it in a link that I got from Tobbe, thx
      www.fordpower.org.uk

Cossie

4. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      98 Limited AWD
      Very good, it's good to see progress. Tobbe, how did the car end up finally, do you like it?

5. Jakee

Jakee Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Huntsville, Texas
      01 Sport
      Tobbe - While your still around, can you confirm what you did to the SBC rods?

- You used I-beams
      - You had the big end width narrowed to fit the 4.0 crank
      - You had the big end bore opened up a little and used stock 4.0 bearings

Let me know if this is correct.

6. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      He used H-beam rods, very strong for boost.

7. Tobbe

Tobbe New Member

City, State:
      Sundsvall, Sweden
      The rod modification:
      Bush in small end increased to 24.0xmm
      Big end reised to ford bearing size
      New locking grooves where made for ford bearing
      The big end with was narrowed and also a chamfer was added.
      Did aslo make a oilspray hole just like ford rods got....

If I am happy with the car? Nope, it is lots quicker than a stock 2.9 24v, I out run my brothers scorpio cosworth with ease, if I pull from 1500rpm in 5th gear he can be at whatever revs he likes and he cannot keep up...

After 4000rpm the engine looses power, I've tested a few different setups, actually I was going to test another one last night but due to a fuel leak I had to cancel. But I think the main reason for lack of power is due the inlet manifold. Still the engine doesn't pull bad after 4000rpm, but I think it could pull better....

On the 4.1 engine a piston pin snapped, so I replaced the bottom end with a stock 4.0 one. But now the 4.1 bottom end have been repaired, uppgraded with a girdle, I hope to have it ready to spring. Then engine will have custom made inlet cams, a slider throttle with short runners etc...

I will make a movie soon, so you need to wait until then to see how it performes...

Cossie, I don't think the techs will tell that you got a 4.0 instead of a 2.9....

8. Jakee

Jakee Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Huntsville, Texas
      01 Sport
      Thanks Tobbe - What price did you pay for this work over there?

Last edited: February 25, 2014
    9. Jakee

Jakee Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Huntsville, Texas
      01 Sport
      Tobbe - Is there room enough to sleeve the 4.0 block and run a bigger piston? say 4.0 to 4.030" bore?

10. Rutt4.0OHV

Rutt4.0OHV New Member

City, State:
      Santaquin,utah
      1993 Eddie Baur
      I'm glad to see one of these finally run. The last person to get one running(Sven Pruett) would never comment on how he did it.

One thing I did notice that was different on Sven's setup was that he made his own intake to incorporate a larger Twin-throttle body set-up verses using the 2.9 stuff. I really wish I knew more, but all I have are pictures.

The DOHC heads are more than ample for the 4.0. Remember, the OHV has some of the crappiest heads on record.(1.68" in/1.36" ex) In fact, the intake actually flows more than heads can handle. This is the reason the OHV 'wakes up' so well with head work and a good cam.

The cosworth 2.9 intake was never really designed to flow well enough to support 4.0L's of displacement. The earlier pics/vids show a very small TB. If I had to start on one area, I'd start there. Look at the SOHC 4.0 intake for reference. I believe it has a 65mm TB. The ol' OHV has a 58-60mm.(I think, been a while)
      I think that was why Sven opt'd to create his own.(I'll see if I can find the pic)
      Anyway, the videos don't do it justice. That is one awesome motor. I remember in college I built a DOHC4.0(on computer), for my high performance class. I ran it withTwin Turbos running on race fuel. My approximate horsepower was near 1000 at 7800-8000 rpm. I was also running stage-3 ported DOHC heads with larger valves. I won the 'Dyno war', at least on the computer. I was up against a BBC, and a stroker ford v8. We had a budget of 10,000 dollars. I actually had to find all the parts and assemble the myself.(again on the computer)
      The heads I found somewhere in canada.(taxi cab wreck yard) I found a local yard with a complete '92OHV for cheap. I called in some favors to friends at a machine shop, and got prices from them. I barely made it under $10,000 at$ 9800. This was assuming I did all of my own assembling, porting, and fabricating. One thing I didn't verify was just how long this setup would actually last, but that wasn't the goal. The goal was to make the most horsepower without going over the budget. I wish I still had the file with all that work on it, but that PC died and took all of my work with it. I still have my T-shirt and hat for winning. I also got accolades for being different.(and an 'A'):burnout:

Has there been any more progress on this project Tobbe? I'd love to see more video.:D

11. bigro

bigro New Member

City, State:
      calgary
      93 xlt
      hello tobbie

my name is bigro im new on your site im very interested in your 4.0liter cosworth engine
      i wanted to do the same kind of project but on a 2.6 liter version of that engine where dis you get the part to do your engine how does it run good for your oil pump use the cosworth one or the 2.6 2.8 those pump turn in the oposite direction did you have to modified the water passage in your block any help would be appreciated

bigro

12. bigro 007

bigro 007 New Member

City, State:
      calgary
      1973 ford capri
      hello Tobbe
      My name is bigro 007 and I have see what you have done I like that very much me I want do the same thing but on a smaller and much older version of that same engine its the 2.6 liter and it was in the ford capri how did you get these head from ebay? how did you got these ship to you very interested in knowing that did you try these head and timing cover on a 2.8 block to see if the cover would actually bolt on that block if it does then the it will bolt on the 2.6 thank you very very interesting project that you have

tump up!

13. Kevin777

Kevin777 New Member

City, State:
      Dover DE
      1994 xlt
      hate to revive the dead but were there any pics vids of it running? possibly a dyno video/ sheets. i think everybody here is still at least a little curious about how it turned out and what kind of seat time you've put in as well as how its holding up!:feedback::notworthy:popcorn:

14. Richmond

Richmond New Member

City, State:
      Moscow
      Mustang 2005 v6 sohc
      Hey guys, greeting from Russia. i have read this post and have some questions. I ride on Mustang v6 4.0 sohc 2005 MY. My serviceman told me that i can use 4.0 block with 2.9 Cosworth heads and it gives me over 400 hp.

Can u help me with information of setup ? also if i buy supercharger or turbo, what boost will be able ? also if there are any forged rods or pistons or how can i make it stronger to boost ?

Thanks !

15. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Welcome. The 2.9 heads are not really much larger than the SOHC 4.0 heads. The rpm limits of the DOHC heads would be more than the SOHC heads, but if they don't flow much more than the SOHC heads, the gains would be limited.

There was one person who finished his 4.0 DOHC engine, but he didn't reply again after the initial start up. I think he didn't have good tuning to sort it out.

To make the DOHC head swap viable, they need to have more flow capacity than the SOHC heads. If I was doing it, I would begin by learning the flow of both heads, ask some engine builders what flow improvement would be worth the trouble for the swap.

16. Richmond

Richmond New Member

City, State:
      Moscow
      Mustang 2005 v6 sohc
      Thank you.
      Please, tell me if there are any Forged pistons or rods for 4.0 ?
      Also, what is better to supercharg or make Turbo ? What boost is good for stock ?

I want 400+ hp, can it be ok in stock ?

17. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Try this thread by a great member who has a supercharged 98 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E. It runs about 13 seconds, boost is up near 18psi. His engine is stock I believe, but there are some aftermarket pistons and rods I think. The engine is very capable, the 5R55E automatic is a little weak to push those power levels though.
      My 98 super charged EX

18. Richmond

Richmond New Member

City, State:
      Moscow
      Mustang 2005 v6 sohc
      That's very interesting. But i m afraid that my engine will be killed as soon as possible on 18 psi.

I think about 4.0 sohc block + 32v Cosworth heads + supercharger or twin turbo with 7-9 psi.

Have any ideas ?

19. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The stock parts of the 4.0's seem to be capable of handling 400hp or so, which is common for OEM Ford engines. The higher boost levels and less than perfect tuning will kill any parts, but more so with stock level stuff. If you can keep the boost reasonable and make the computer programming a priority, it will survive, and you can raise the boost some.

The DOHC idea is great and it does improve the reliability of the valvetrain. I have a SOHC 4.0, and I look forward to swapping it out some day.

I'd still start by researching the flow of the 2.9 DOHC heads. If they are not a decent amount better than the SOHC heads, it's hard to justify hunting for the 2.9 heads, plus the intake, plus the work to make it work together. If the flow is better, than it will be a fun project.