410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410Fortune - 96 5.0L XLT refurbish (making 1 great Ex from 2)

Okay here we go 09/13/05

In march of 05 I rolled my new to me 96 5.0L AWD 86K miles, just after driving it back to CO from OR and putting $1000 into it. You see I bought this truck from my brother with 86K miles on the clock, it would not pass emissions for him and he drove it into the ground. This was the same explorer he bought new when I got the BII from him for $500 12 something years ago.
Well I payed him $500 for the green Explorer and $1000 later (shocks, tune up, 02 sensors, etc) it was in primo condition. Then I rolled it in an ice storm...
RIP 96 EB:
2893expldr-med.jpg

exafter.jpg

So in April my buddy Brett found this great deal here in town for a 96 XLT 5.0L AWD, $900 is what I paid, it has front end damage and air bags deployed, picked it up from a fellow board member:
2893drives.jpg

After the wreck the owner put in a new radiator and battery so it could be driven.
The truck has sat since April of this year, untouched, until this morning.
I have been preparing my new garage to accept my new project, and well she's ready, so today is the day I am driving this truck home.
To my disbelief this truck had no problem and started right up after sitting since April!

Here are some "before" shots:
Font end damage, sagging T bars, new rad:
beforework1.jpg

No airbags, interior is in great shape! (just needs TLC):
interiorbefore1.jpg

Rear:
rear.jpg

It has some "issues". Like steering extension is rubbing the manifold (3" body lift), no dipstick:
dipstickmissing.jpg

No fan, No ac condensor, and no trans cooler:
nofan.jpg

This is a 1996 5.0L AWD XLT with 151K miles on the clock.
Truck is loaded with sunroof, leather, tint, etc.
Previous owner installed 3" body lift and 33" tires.
Alot of things have been "rigged" but it runs and drives fine!

I will be completely removing the front clip, everything except the frame and inner fenders will be cut out. The entire drivetrain will be pulled (too many miles), the entire front end will be fixed, new bushings, bearings, new steering rack, torsio bar twist, shocks, brakes, etc.

the body lift will be fixed and or reduced to 1-2". the rear bumper will be re-located.

The drivetrain from my green 96 will be installed into this truck, along with alot of other "donor" parts.

The front clip will then be replaced using factory metal replacements, welding in new rad support, and then prepped for paint.

truck needs new windshield, airbags, and alot of TLC.

My long term plans for this truck include: "long travel" 4x4 IFS suspension lift (dixon bro's Camburg, etc). Stereo, tow package, SOA, low range T case, and custom everything else.
This is my "other" baby, and in keeping with tradition she will have the heart of my brothers old truck, just like the BII was his and run into the ground, so was "part" of this one.

Still no car payment after 12+ years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

12/30/05

Can you say progress? (sorry for th epic size, new computer at home)

the drivetrain is finally out as of today. This is much easier with two people, hahaha but I managed to get it out myself.

First I had to remove the center console, which is a huge PITA:
access.jpg

Cutting the carpet like this can save you from having to remove the front seats, the new cut would be covered up if you re-install the center console so no worries cosmetically. This allowed me access to the 3 02 sensor plugs and also the 3 top transfer case to transmission bolts.

After that the transfer case was slid off (oops big spill this time)
Then I hooked up the hoist and after about 15 minutes of manuevering it was out:
drivetrainhoist.jpg

as you can see I was able to remove the power steering cooler without damage this way. I also did not have to remove the starter or battery wiring. The AC compressor is still on the engine as is the complete engine and trans harness. This is the way Ford would liely stab the drivetrain at the factory.
It was MUCH harder to get this out of th etruck this time, because this 96 has no body lift. Clearing the oil pan and starter over the A arm suspension requires a pretty steep angle on the hoist and some muscle :)

Empty bay:
drivetraingone.jpg

It took me 20 more minutes to get the hoist turned around 180 so I could load the drivetrain into my trailer. Wow that was fun.
This weekend I will haul it home and drop it into the blue 96, should be ready to run next week. This means its almost time to weld in a new radiator support. After that its just a matter of plumbing, getting headers, new waterpump, fan and clutch, and HOPEFULLY a camshaft and new roller tip rockers with valve covers :)

Need $$$ for this stuff, along with a new windshield andtwo new airbags.

Getting closer! Oh and it was like 28 degrees today = hands bleed easier :) OUCH!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Are you putting TM headers on it? If you do, let me know which valve covers will work with 1.6 rockers (right?) and the TM headers! :p Lookin' good! :D

yes 1.6 and yes TM headers :)
Still undecided on the cam, E303 is okay but I want a dual profile.
How do you like your E303 cam? I heard it works well in the AWD truck.

Looks like th e5.0L's have some oil leakage around the dipstick issues as well, I will seal that up upon install, silicoln? JB weld? hmmmm...

there is that dreaded blend door everyone loves so much, this one was fixed with the small piece of nail and drill bit trick, except I performed the fix while we were driving the truck from OR to CO, hahaha remember this was my bro's truck, he didnt have heat for like 4 years. We were on the road for about 40 minutes when I called him and said, hey I fixed the heater. He was not happy.

My cam is great. It's a lot faster than my 306 Mountaineer.. even being on 33s. I just still have idle issues when cold. I'm going to try this IAC plate that a lot of Stang guys use after installing the cam. Hopefully that will help. It just gets moody when it's cold is all. Once it's running.. it runs. But going from D to R and such makes it stall. :eek:

Helleva a job! waiting for more pics

section525 said:
Are you putting TM headers on it? If you do, let me know which valve covers will work with 1.6 rockers (right?) and the TM headers! :p Lookin' good! :D

Section,

The '86 - '93 Mustang 5.0 valve covers are the closest to what the Explorer uses. They will fit the 1.6 roller rockers. There are also a few other valve covers in the Ford Racing catalog that are for the same application. Yes, there are options.

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers

Thank you Robert :)

I am cleaning up the new block now, the drivetrain should go in this week.
I will put TM headers on it after it's in place, pretty easy with no front clip.

Are there locking header bolts I can use with the TM headers Robert? Will they clear the flange and tube? The holes in the flange are close to the pickup tubes, so Robert sends you new bolts.
On the Explorer because it is so much harder to work on once it's all put together, I dont want any of the header bolts backing out and causing a leak.
I have not tried yet because the locking header botls are expensive, but when I do install TM's on this truck I want to use them.

Have you used any on your projects Robert?

Thanks.

OKay direct fror Perry Mcneil Jr.

the Sport Trac conversion kit can be made to fit the Gen II, but it will be up to me to make it work. The Gen II inner fenders dip down towards the front of the truck more then a Gen I. Somehow I would have to make up the new gap.

the conversion kit is $700 and includes, fenders, hood, header panel and grill.
Customer would he to get Sport trac lights and corner lights, bumper, valance, etc.

I am waiting to hear back how big the bulge in the fenders is, looks like 4" to me.
Also he did mention they could make a new mold so this kit would fit a Gen II.

If I go street with this truck and not lifted I will not be using this kit, basically because without big tires it would look really funny IMO.

Thank you Perry Jr for the information, I still have not decided, but I am swaying away from this conversion because of the differences between the Gen I and Gen II inner fenders.

410Fortune said:
Thank you Robert :)

I am cleaning up the new block now, the drivetrain should go in this week.
I will put TM headers on it after it's in place, pretty easy with no front clip.

Are there locking header bolts I can use with the TM headers Robert? Will they clear the flange and tube? The holes in the flange are close to the pickup tubes, so Robert sends you new bolts.
On the Explorer because it is so much harder to work on once it's all put together, I dont want any of the header bolts backing out and causing a leak.
I have not tried yet because the locking header botls are expensive, but when I do install TM's on this truck I want to use them.

Have you used any on your projects Robert?

Thanks.

So far, I've only used the bolts I sell with loc-tite/thread locker fluid. I also start the engine up before putting the fenderwells in and check the torque while their Hot! So far, no complaints with my local installs.

Thanks!

drivetrainclean.jpg

transgunk.jpg

enginegunk.jpg

I have been spending some time ceaning up the drivetrain, removing all the gunk that has accumulated. These are the "before" pictures. It has been below freezing in CO lately so its hard to get much done...This may be overkill but I like to work on stuff that is clean. Gunk Foamy engine brite and Castrol Superclean have the grease cutting duties while a scraper and wire brush get into the nooks and crannies.

Yes I cover up the open orrafices liket he trans cooler lines and oil dipstick hole before getting anythig wet.
I have removed the wiring harness and breather line from the trans to help as well. Everything under the hood of the blue truck is also going to be removed, the blue truck has 151K miles on it and my donor had only 87K< so I am going to use everything I can from the lower mileage truck.

Next I am removing the waterpump and fan, and cleaning up the exhaust manifold area's. Attention is then turned to the truck, cleaning the engine bay and undercarriage in prep for the drivetrain.

Should be installing the drivetrain next week :)

Also my new welder showed up, its an early x mas gift from my dad! THANKS DAD!!!
AWESOME!! Hobart 180 Mig 220/110with cart and hookup for gas.
First project = explorer radiator support.

Progress over the weekend 12/17/05

Engine and drivetrain are clean (enough)
Water pump, fan, fan clutch, exhaust manifolds, and AC compressor have been removed:
frontengineclean.jpg

psideengineclean.jpg

dsideengineclean.jpg

Next the truck was scrubbed clean, all inner fenders & firewall:

dsideclean.jpg

psideclean.jpg

fwallclean.jpg

Then the garage door was opened, a ton of stuff was moved around in the garage to make room, we backed the truck out about 5 feet and negotaited the hoist into position. It was 18 degrees yesterday and snowing when this happened, my room mate is not used to working in these conditions (wuss) so I did this as fast as possible, hahaha. 15 minutes later the drivetrain was resting on the engine mounts, truck pushed back into the garage and the trans jacked up into place.

SHE'S IN!!:
enginein1.jpg

enginein2.jpg

Its all downhill from here, please send $$$.

Crane cam, lifters, pushrods, 1.6 roller rockers, and valve covers on order after X mas. Timing set and waterpump will be new.
I also will be getting Torque Monster headers and a shift kit for the 4R70W ASAP.

My parts list is still long but I want this sucker done right with PLENTY of power for towing and daily driving.

Shortly after she is running the body lift will come off and this truck will get lowered just a bit :) I am going to swap rear ends with the one form my donor 96, it has half the miles. I will need airbags and windshield and a custom exhaust :)

Still looking at my front clip options, once the new radiator support is welded in place I will make a final decision (still holding out for the Trac front clip)

410Fortune said:
...Shortly after she is running the body lift will come off and this truck will get lowered just a bit :)...

BL off = good

lowered = WHOA! lowered!? :eek: wtf happened to lifted???

I am back and forth but I think I made some progress.

Lowered = better for mileage, handling, and its cheap (only going 1.5" up front, 1" block in back likely)

this truck will get used to tow my 19' boat all over the place so all these things are a +

I am going to build a 2wd Ranger next to satisfy the type of wheeling this Ex would have been built to tackle (long travel A arm suspension) 2wd is alot cheaper to build and a Ranger is cheaper and lighter then a 4 door ex so with a 5.0L in it it oughta scream!

The BII might get a solid axle because of all this.

Rockcrawler/trail truck, desert truck, and tow rig, all 5.0L all Ranger family, still no car payment or car loans.

Whaddya think?

410Fortune said:
I am back and forth but I think I made some progress.

Lowered = better for mileage, handling, and its cheap (only going 1.5" up front, 1" block in back likely)

this truck will get used to tow my 19' boat all over the place so all these things are a +

I am going to build a 2wd Ranger next to satisfy the type of wheeling this Ex would have been built to tackle (long travel A arm suspension) 2wd is alot cheaper to build and a Ranger is cheaper and lighter then a 4 door ex so with a 5.0L in it it oughta scream!

Rockcrawler/trail truck, desert truck, and tow rig, all 5.0L all Ranger family, still no car payment or car loans.

Whaddya think?
Well, no car payment or loans is an awesome concept!

Seein as you already got the BII your on the right track. I don't think a lifted truck will hurt fuel economy too bad with the correct gear ratios.

Here is where me and you follow different paths...
I want a lifted ballsey truck with plenty of HP and torque for towing and off roading with the stability of a DD.

As far as lowered and fast-my 89' RX7 and my soon to be bought Suzu GSXR750

You seem to be into mostly trucks, whereas I want a fast street car and an offroad/winter vehicle.

I have been there too, dont think I wouldnt want another car someday. :)

I towed my boat with a lifted BII for 7 years, never had any issues personally, BUT I do look forward to having a quiet low daily driver. Low COG is important for proper towing and safety, although I towed for years with a lifted BII it was not the safest means

things just kinda work out this way for me with these trucks. I was always a water cooled VW guy growing up, loved them. In fact I hated my brothers bronco II I thought it was so damn ugly inside and stupid, until one day I wrecked my GTI, I couldnt afford my $1500 deductible (21 years old) and I got my brothers BII for $500.
Thats when this started...I didnt have a choice. Never dawned on me to have a 4x4 truck. Took me about 2 days of driving it to change my mind. Even the POS she was then (88 BII with 150K miles on it, never one bit of preventive maint done) she was a hell of a lotta fun to drive. it rode like crap, was noisy, has issues, has a horrible miss, the clutch was fried, etc etc. So I started getting tools and fixing it because thats all I could afford. And now here we are and I couldnt imagine not being able to go off road.

As for the 96 explorer well my brother sold the BII to me and got a new 96 5.0L from Ford. 87K miles he drove that sucker into the ground, CEL, cant pass emissions, no heat, no power locks/windows, etc. Guess how much I bought it for? $500 :)
I rolled that truck a couple months later after putting $1500 into it and getting it into tip top shape. Thats where this blue 96 comes in, I got it for $900 needing airbags/windshield and a front clip.

I love lifted A arm 4 door explorer's, they make awesome desert trucks. But in truth I need a tow rig and daily more then I need another desert truck :) So logic tells me the shrot wheelbase BII would be perfect for rocks/trails/moab with a Solid axle up front and 4 link rear. The Explorer would be perfect with power adders, tight handling suspension and good gas mileage tires, and well I can pick up a late 80's ranger Supercab project for next to nothing....so you see it jsut kinda all works out this way.

Someday I want to get another GTI or a Corrado and mod the hell out of it too, or possibly a 93 ish Cobra Stang..

I have not had a car payment since the day I fired up the ol 2.9L in the BII 10 years ago, nor do I plan to get one :)

410Fortune said:

That brings tears of joy to my eyes 410...lol

Congrats on the new welder, your gonna love it. So whats next a bender perhaps?:)

yeah bender because I can already borrow a plasma from my buddy if I need it :)

Oh and to learn how to weld good, that might help! I have laid a couple of beads before but I am still learning big time.

A solid axle BII is about 50 times more capable on the type of trails I do now then my TTB is, even though I am a die hard fan of the modified TTB, you gotta do what you gotta do....besides somehow I gotta keep up with the big Dawgs.

Man, I could really use a plasma cutter now. It sucks cutting out brackets with a grinder. If you do go SAS, i'm sure that cut and turned axle would sell fast on the board....that's if you can part with it :p

Great project. Nice photos.

Is the frame bent on the "new" truck?

Back