4r70w help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4r70w help

grm

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 f150
I'm having a problem with the transmission in my 98 f 150, 4.6 2 wheel drive 4r70w transmission. It will not shift past 2nd gear, shifts fine 1-2, then runs to 4000 rpms then hits nutral till speed drops to about 30mph then back to 2nd. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the throttle position sensor. At idle the output voltage should be <1v

Slowly rising to <5v at WOT. Test with key on engine off.

A high TPS output will hold " downshift" --

Can anyone else shed some light on this problem? It has just started to happen to my 1997 AWD 5.0 Explorer.

TPS checks out.

A broken 2-3 accumulator spring would cause a harsh shift and no shift under throttle, did you have any problems leading up to this? To get to the 2-3 accumulator it is under the valve body so there would be some tear down to just see but you could clean everything out, replace the gaskets and filter and see what you find.

I get a 1-2 shift perfect. won't get into third. I take od off and it will rev to redline without a shift to third. If I do not take the OD off then it will rev up and I won't get back into second until the REV's are at about 2000 RPM. I was getting a weird slap(bang) when i was stopped at a light(after sitting for there for a few seconds) I removed the front drive shaft thinking it was the Front Driveshaft CV joint. no luck. What a bummer

I installed a Trans go shift kit about 2 years ago

I would pull the valve body out and make sure all is well and look for any debris in the pan. Never know if something worked its way loose in the valve body.

thanks bro. I'm going to pull the Valve body out and do a inspection. Your input was much appreciated.

tranny help

Could anyone tell me from experience if the ss2(second solenoid ) That controls the 3to4 shift would fail would you get a check engine light? Or is it one of those things where you need to hook a scanner and set it transmission to find a fault?

Thanks. But I've been around since 2001. lol

Back